The Thing (1982): Defining a Genre

The Thing (1982): Defining a Genre

A Story by AlexJCarr
"

Article on John Carpenter's 'The Thing.'

"

The Thing (1982): Defining a Genre

 The 1980’s had a lot of things that millennials missed out on, bedazzled jean jackets, the original release of ‘Thriller’ and horror films that made you hide behind a pillow like the first time you saw a Dalek.

John Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’ stars Keith David and Wilford Brimley taking on the roles of members of a research team stuck in an Antarctician facility with Kurt Russel, playing the typical 80’s Kurt Russell cast type " the stoic hero (and also a member of the research team). All is going as expected until they come face to face with a shapeshifting alien who can turn into any one of them. Que edge of your seat tension, heart-pounding action and coincidently one of the best horror Sci-Fi’s ever made.

 Carpenter, much like with his other franchise ‘Halloween’ pairs horror and terror in a way that is unlike anything we have in the genre today, capitalising on the viewers two primal fears, visceral gore and the unknown. ‘The Thing’ encapsulates a viewing experience lost to time, an hour and 49-minute window where intriguing mystery and spine-tingling scares come together in perfect harmony.

Bill Lancaster’s writing is in no small part responsible for this. The alien and it’s ability to change its shape are introduced very early on, leaving far more time for Lancaster to set the characters aginst one another and set up the film's allegorical meaning. An alarming commentary on the human psyche, how easily, when confronted with paranoia we would turn on each other until there is nothing left. This is epitomised in the final scene, two characters both certain of death, waiting to see what happens next.

 Lancaster’s screenplay is in good company with music from Ennio Morricone, which from the first scene sets a tone of dark intrigue. From there the music fills all the films silences turning the lack of dialogue into accusatory cues for the viewers to latch onto, fitting the mood of the scenes to such an extent that it almost goes unnoticed.

  While the writing and music are excellent, who can forget Dean Cundley’s cinematography, namely the dog scene? When the alien disguised as a husky, walks into the cage with the rest of the dogs, we are shown multiple angles, highlighting the alien separation from the rest of the pack with the final shot being shown from behind the bars, illustrating the danger of the dog and foreshadowing the carnage that is to unfold. Fitting as soon after we see the alien reveal itself, complete with literal face melting gore thanks to the incredible effects work of Albert Whitlock and Rob Bottin.

 ‘The Thing’ is a prime example of combining all the right elements to make a movie so good that it paved the way for a decade of alien invasions in pop culture, more than living up to the 1951 original.

© 2017 AlexJCarr


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a very good critique -- showing intellectual understanding and clever perception. It is precisely and interestingly written.I think you will do well at college. I would love to see some of your own creative work (poems or stories).

Posted 6 Years Ago


AlexJCarr

6 Years Ago

Thank you. Will definitely start posting some more creative stuff
Great Aunt Astri

6 Years Ago

Please don't misunderstand. Your critique was very creatively written. But I would love to see one o.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
1 Review
Added on June 12, 2017
Last Updated on June 12, 2017
Tags: The Thing, Article

Author

AlexJCarr
AlexJCarr

Milton Keynes, Bucks, United Kingdom



About
20 years old and studying a media production and creative writing degree at the University of Northampton. more..

Writing