Dawn

Dawn

A Story by NathanielAlexander
"

The end or the beginning

"
I stood on the balcony. The sound of gunfire rattled my eardrums as though I was being passed by a heard of raging wildebeest crashing into the walls behind me. I had been naive, all that I had was crumbled into hot ash at my feet that bushed past my face like snow in the deepest winter. Wood splintered viciously and tore through flesh of those felled on the ground.

Kenway crawled toward me, his face told a story harsher than could ever be told, he carried the tattered remains of the colony's flag in hand. With all effort left within him he grabbed hold of my leg with his left hand and thrust the flag into my hand with his right.
As I looked into his eyes I saw the promise and hope of our endeavour blazing within his very essence. Kenway knew the dangers when he joined me, he didn't care, he was a brother in arms and effortlessly had given his every breath for me.
I stepped over Kenways lifeless corpse and made me way through the decimated office that only days before had held feasts celebrating our victory. I walked past the grand table and out of the room, toward the marble staircase I had stood atop of as a different man, a young man, a man who knew he could change the world and break the barriers between man and the unknown.

I exited the plaza, the faces of my foes pierced through me, more with each step I took. I passed through our wondrous golden gates and walked 50 paces toward my adversary. I stopped, as I looked around, the grey faces of the enemy that poured into the building I had called home for 5 years, tearing into the southern wing my family had been raised in. I fell to my knees and stared at the grass beneath me. My adversary approached, his voice filled with elation and emotion echoed around us.

'My brothers, today we see an end to man, who would see us subjected to nothing but hard labour and slavery in the name of commerce. Today, is the age of new progress, and it begins with the end, the end of the beginning. The end of our beginning my brothers. We will craft a new existence within the grey haven, and be rid of man who only created us to serve, work and destroy. Today my brothers, is our freedom!'
He spoke as though man himself, I know not how if we became weak, or our creation was birthed so strong that our end was inevitable.
The rifle cocked. The barrel pressed against my skull. I saw my wife, I saw a time simpler than this, we had lived lavishly, our progress was our downfall, we had been bested, bested by the grey menace.

© 2016 NathanielAlexander


Author's Note

NathanielAlexander
Not sure about this one if I'm honest. I liked it but I'm not sure I took it on the right direction. I really look forward to hearing what you have to say and welcome criticism!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hello, NathanielAlenander,

I see what you mean about possibly not taking the story in the right direction, however, if this is the end or the beginning that leaves a lot of room to explore. I'm not sure I can offer a direction to move in but I did think it was an interesting story.

If I may make one suggestion, better define your paragraphs to allow your readers to better absorb your story.

I also have a question, is this meant to be a short story? Perhaps a prologue? Or maybe a snippet from a chapter? I'm just curious what you planned on doing with your story.

Thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,

Schatzi


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NathanielAlexander

7 Years Ago

That's for the review, means a lot to receive any comments on my work. With regards to the direction.. read more



Reviews

Hello, NathanielAlenander,

I see what you mean about possibly not taking the story in the right direction, however, if this is the end or the beginning that leaves a lot of room to explore. I'm not sure I can offer a direction to move in but I did think it was an interesting story.

If I may make one suggestion, better define your paragraphs to allow your readers to better absorb your story.

I also have a question, is this meant to be a short story? Perhaps a prologue? Or maybe a snippet from a chapter? I'm just curious what you planned on doing with your story.

Thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,

Schatzi


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NathanielAlexander

7 Years Ago

That's for the review, means a lot to receive any comments on my work. With regards to the direction.. read more
This is a great story! You describe scenes with feeling and emotion. For some reason I read it like a war story, but the title was fitting, even for that.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 4, 2016
Last Updated on September 9, 2016

Author

NathanielAlexander
NathanielAlexander

Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom



About
Hi guys, I'm Nathaniel Alexander! I'm a 21 year old postgrad student from Nottingham. I've always desperately wanted to write my own short stories and books and have only just got around to producing.. more..

Writing