What I Missed

What I Missed

A Story by Laura Pruett

 

I opened my eyes and she was there. It was like a dream that wasn’t. I said “You’re dead” and she replied “Yes.” No doubt between us and no anger. All of those emotions are for the living.
 
 For the first time in my life, we spoke of random things that others speak of and we didn’t argue. No blame was placed on any shoulders; no accusations were flung.
 
Everything material simply wasn’t there. Everything that ever came between us…none of it remained in this special place of no color and nothing…there was only us, and we were together for the first time. It was beautiful and it was healing – this brief time with my mother.
 
Looking back, I miss all that she wasn’t and could have been. Nonetheless, I’ll never forget that in this not-place that could have been my own mind, I met my dead mother.

© 2008 Laura Pruett


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well said conception of what no one can know for sure. Your idea has resonance.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
1 Review
Added on February 6, 2008

Author

Laura Pruett
Laura Pruett

Brownwood, TX



About
Dear You, Well, I've put off writing an information section about myself...but I suppose the time has come when all good things must end. So here I am, writing this biography that I have little inter.. more..

Writing