The Kitten That Was Not Fluffy

The Kitten That Was Not Fluffy

A Story by Alice Patinkin

Once upon a time there was a beautiful Queen named Ronald.




Queen Ronald liked to sit in the grand hall of her palace and sing showtunes, and she would hire several small, fluffy kittens to dance to them. One day Queen Ronald was reading the morning paper when she spied an ad:

    FOR HIRE: THREE DANCING KITTENS;

                           ASHES, JACK & DAMIEN.

"Why, what adorable names!" Exclaimed Queen Ronald, "I shall call them up and request an audition! Why, I am certain these three dancing kittens would make the loveliest addition to my dance troupe here at the palace! ...Just as long as they are fluffy. For a fluffy kitten is an adorable kitten!"


Queen Ronald called up the kittens, and the very next day, they arrived. 

"Announcing: The three dear, darling, dancing kittens!" announced the Royal Butler; "Ashes!..." a small grey, yellow, and black fluffy kitten emerged, her hair was long and speckled with patches of colour, like an impressionist painting. 




"...Jack!..." a small black kitten arrived, his hair like soft raven down feathers, and quite fluffy. 





"...and Damien!..." a sleek black and white kitten emerged.




Queen Ronald arose from her chair immediately, shaking her head. "Oh no, no, no, this will not do!" she exclaimed, "This kitten is not fluffy!" 


Indeed, he was not. His hair was short and thick, and sleek like silk. 


"Take this cat away immediately!" Queen Ronald demanded; "I shall have his brother and sister, but NOT him. I will not have a dancing kitten that is not fluffy!"


Ashes and Jack were quick to protest; "Your Highness, please!" they mewed; "We could never dance without our brother, he completes our dancing trio! Please your highness, we beg you let him stay!"


"I am sorry" spake the Queen, "But I will only stand for fluffy kittens, for a fluffy kitten is an adorable kitten."


"But what if a non-fluffy kitten were adorable too?" questioned Ashes.


"Then he could stay" said the Queen, "But I have never known one to be so, in fact, I dare not look at any other cat but a fluffy one, for fear I will see something that is not adorable."


"Oh please, please your highness!" cried Jack, "Look upon our brother!"


The Queen scrunched up her face and shook her head, shutting her eyes tightly.




 Ashes and Jack continued with their pleas, but the Queen would not budge. 


Finally, the two kittens grew weary. They quieted, and silently turned to leave the palace.


At that moment, Damien padded over to the throne, and leaped into the Queens lap. He mewed quietly and began to purr. 


"Oh how adorable!" said the Queen, her eyes still closed. She reached out to pet his sleek silky fur, and as she touched it she gasped, and opened her eyes. 

In front of her were two wide green kitten eyes, and a soft pink nose, on a tiny face that stared at her curiously, and purred softly. 




"Why... why..." spake the Queen, "Why, non-fluffy kittens ARE adorable!!"


Ashes and Jack cheered and leaped around: Damien joined them, and the three dear darling kittens began dancing.

 To this very day, Queen Ronald has never seen a better dancer than that non-fluffy kitten, Damien; and soon, kittens and cats of all hair lengths and sizes were given open invitation to dance to the Queen's showtunes in the grand hall of her palace. Even fat orange Tabbies called Toby! And even small antisocial cats called Stardust!

The grand hall had never been so diverse and colourful, and Queen Ronald had never been so happy. He knew now that one should never judge a kitty by their fluffiness.

                                

(THE END)

© 2013 Alice Patinkin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ok, I am not a cat person but this wonderful little story has now convicted me. I will go home tonight and I will attempt to be nice to the resident feline.
Something about a purring feline in your lap - can melt even a troll like me.
Well penned.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Alice Patinkin

10 Years Ago

Hahaha! Thank you. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

436 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 22, 2013
Last Updated on June 22, 2013
Tags: cute, children, offbeat, funny

Author

Alice Patinkin
Alice Patinkin

Virginia



About
Hello! My name is Alice. I'm a Theatre major, English major and hopeless romantic living in the beautiful mountains of Virginia. Ienjoy writing poetry and short stories whenever I'm graced with the fr.. more..

Writing