babyforeverbaby

babyforeverbaby

A Story by Alice Red

in my mind you look gorgeous in scarves.

but you are not a hipster. and neither am i, for that matter.


hardwood floors, because they just look more expensive than carpet does.

and of course, my fireplace. it's too big; but you're trying to prove something i guess.


"lindsey."

you never say my name like it's a question.

my name, in your mouth, is always only a statement.


i twist my body around from where i'm sitting on the floor, throwing marshmallows into the flames.


"you're wasting everything; why dont you go ahead and throw my wallet in there, while you're at it." i stuff my hand to the very bottom of the bag and pull out a fistful; pillowy food bouncing out of my overflowing fingers, scattering happily. i stare at you as i toss the handful in and giggle a little when i can hear them melting and sizzling. ruining your expense.


you and i both know none of this matters, anyways.

the hardwood floors.

the fireplace.

the marshmallows.


i turn back around and feel my face get hot, fast. i dont hear you move behind me, still pressed and presentable from your days work. i'm wearing nothing but a slip, cotton socks and my red hair dirty, pulled up, and threatening to leave you.


you hook a finger underneath one strap of the slip and i dont even flinch; i didnt have to know you were there to have read ahead. we've both got this book memorized.


"lindsey. you are exhausting." i smirk at the fireplace and narrow my eyes at the burning ash.

"obviously; let's just say i've made it an art: predicting you." he rips my strap. i catch it. 


everything we do has been done before.

© 2011 Alice Red


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on October 31, 2011
Last Updated on October 31, 2011

Author

Alice Red
Alice Red

About
I consider myself a personal fan of writing. i experiment with a lot of flash fiction, and for quite some time now i've steered clear of capitalizing words i don't deem fit. needless to say, my s.. more..

Writing