Twists and Turns, Loops and stumbles.

Twists and Turns, Loops and stumbles.

A Chapter by AlinaTheCacti

"Mr. Andrew's picking you up tonight at nine!" I heard someone shout. Probably Mr. Dawkins.
"Who's that?" I heard a female voice reply as I opened the first door to the pub. As I opened the second one, I saw Mr. Dawkins at the counter, rapidly counting money by the second. He looked up to take a drink of his tea and saw me.
"Oh he's here Lil, come on. Let's not keep him waiting!" I looked around and saw Lil walking back and forth, still in her waitress uniform. Even in a very stinky and old pub. She managed to smell nice as she passed by me to drop off some champagne to a table near the window. When she finished delivering she looked at me, then her uncle.
"Alright," she yelled. "Give me a few minutes to change," She went around to the backroom to get changed. I went over to the counter.
"How are ye?" Mr. Dawkins asked. He studied my suit again. "Seriously though, is this the same suit you wore last time?"
"Nope, brand new suit I got as a Christmas Present last year. He studied me for a second before continuing back to his work.
"Take care of my girl, if she dies in the process of this. I'm going to hunt you down." He harassed. I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned around.
"Ok I'm changed, who's Mr. Andrews?" She eyed me and her uncle.
"Well, the man right beside you Lil," Her uncle replied and Lil looked at me in confusion. I gave her a weak smile and offered my arm. She hesitated for a second but then decided to not take up the offer as she opened the door and the bell rang again.
"We're taking a walk," I told her as we walked outside. I saw her shake her head for a second.
"Huh?" I asked.
"Nothing that's all," She replied. "I'm just surprised that Mark let you do this. He's usually very protective of things like this."
"I bet none of those people are a detective that surprisingly carries a gun everywhere," I grinned. 
"Nope, those ol' goody people don't come in this part of town." She stated before stopping and looking ahead.
"Where to?" Lil looked around.
"Don't know, I just wonder." I told her before walking again. She stood there and studied me. Her crystal blue eyes looking straight at me before crossing her arms.
"Okay, spill it. What do you need me to do? You obviously aren't here asking for a date." I tiled my head in confusion. 
"What makes you think this isn't a date?" I questioned her. She bit her bottom lip and looked at the ground. There goes the confidence.
"First, anyone going to this side of town isn't looking for relationships, especially ones who are part of security and wear a suit every day. Second, no detective or police officer come here for a drink. They go to those very fancy ones on the other side of town. And third, no one with an arrogant head like yours gets any approval from my uncle."
"Ouch," I joked. She just stood there looking at me. I stared back at her, but I knew it was going nowhere since she is a very independent woman. I sighed. Time to be honest.
"I'm not supposed to drag you into this," I confessed as I looked back into the pub. She still looked at me and let me continue.
"I'm on an investigation for a missing profile," I told her. She smiled at me strangely.
"See, it wasn't so hard to get it out of you now Mr. Arrogant pants eh?" I smiled at myself in the dark and shook my head. Holding my laughter.
"So what you need me to do? Oh... Wait..." She trailed off. "Is this about Teddy?" She couldn't see me now, only my figure in the moonlight. 
"Who's Teddy?" I asked.
"Uncle Marc's  Ex-Best Friend," She explained. I raised my eyebrow.
"Ex-Best-Friend? What happened to them?" I questioned.
"Best that I don't explain the details. They had a fallout because of a few secrets that Teddy kept." Mr. Dawkins never explained this. Meaning he was lying about a few details. Why?
"Ah, I see. Secrets form, then secrets explode at the wrong times." She nodded. At my position, I could see her facial expressions and movement, but she can't see mine since the moonlight is at my back.
"Mind if I ask a question?" I asked and she nodded in approval.
"Mr. Dawkins mentioned that a man gave you his phone number on Friday the thirteenth. Do you still have it?"
"I get quite a few phone numbers, why do you ask? Jealous perhaps?"
"You're drifting off the topic, do you still have it?" I asked again. I saw the hesitation in her eyes but she still denied it.
"You're just like your uncle, hesitant about everything," I commented. "Don't try and deny that," I saw her bite her bottom lip before turning around to look at the pub.
"Yes," She answered in a tiny voice. I saw her pull someone out of her pocket and hand it to me. It was a shall crumbled piece of paper with a phone number on it. As I looked closer and pointed it to the moonlight, a sentence appeared. It stated:

Test Subject Number three thousand and one has arrived. Hurry up.
--Brain

When she turned back and saw the glowing letters, she gasped. I looked at her.
"Have you already been involved in these things already?" I questioned her. She quickly rejected it. Gosh, she's so bad at lying.
"I know you're lying, want me to list the reasons why?"
"No," she replied before looking me square in the eyes.
"I am not involved in these criminal activities." Her eyes were still trembling and I saw a glint of water in her eyes.
"You're either still lying or you're hiding something from me," I took a step closer to her. She smelled like shampoo and body wash. I slowly moved my hand onto her shoulder and drifted down her arm.
"I'm not here trying to hurt you," I whispered. "I'm just trying to help the city by finding the mysteries that endanger families and the city as a whole." I heard her sniffle before letting the tears fall at last. I pulled her close and comforted her while she cried.
"I... I've... I've seen that name before... Just before... Before... My parents... had died." She whispered.
"Shhhh, shhhh," I whispered and I held her until she stopped.
"Want to come back to my apartment, I have other papers at home that my parents left behind before they had... been... Murdered," She confessed. I widened my eyes in surprise.
"What were their names?" I questioned, thinking of back in the day of my older murder cases.
"Jason and Lila Schultz," She said just above a whisper. "They died about ten years ago."
"Ah, I don't think I've worked on that case. Perhaps I'll look around next time I see the Station," I told her. I felt the wind start blowing harder and the temperature went down. I looked at her and there were goosebumps on her arms. I shrugged my jacket off and draped it over her. She slid her arms through the arm holes and snuggled into them.
"You sure you're not cold?" She asked me
"Not at all," I replied. We looked back at the pub. People were filing out now and her uncle was already mopping the floor. 
"Just so you know, I actually don't have shifts. I run the pub with Uncle Marc." She told me.
"I figured, seeing no other waitress or workers work there," I replied.
"I should go in and help Uncle Marc clean up, you can come too. Just out of the cold... Unless you have somewhere you need to be?"
"Are you implying that I'm married?" I was twenty-six, and with my stubbles, I guess I could look like I'm married.
"Are you?" I saw a glint of hope in her eyes, but then before I could study what it meant it disappeared. I looked at her and smirked.
"You'll find out one day," I told her. I saw her start shrugging off the jacket. I stopped her. Keep it on, I'm coming inside with you.
"You are?" 
"Well, I'm implying that the offer of going back to your apartment is still open," She looked at me in confusion before realizing it.
"Ah, it is." She replied.


© 2018 AlinaTheCacti


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
Added on February 1, 2018
Last Updated on February 1, 2018


Author

AlinaTheCacti
AlinaTheCacti

Canada



About
I'm a EXTREMELY younger writer that loves to draw, read and write, compared to many others more..

Writing