Discovery

Discovery

A Poem by Allen Smuckler

                                                    

 

 



















My love for life

redwindles

behind the doors of

knowledge.

Life’s prancing candle

kindles

on His eternal

pledge.



 

 

 

 

© 2012 Allen Smuckler


Author's Note

Allen Smuckler
Beginning to see the light?
I wrote this poem on November 25,1968 and posted it on Hello Poetry in November 2010. Kate Little (from Australia) wrote a reaction (better than the poem itself, I might add) in December 2010. This began a 2 month trans world voyage into collaboration. It lead to the follow up poem of " Twilight's Discovery." and three subsequent writes. I will post them in order for you to see the progression and development of the final poem. It was a wonderful experience. Please feel free to comment and add your input.
Photo: Edison Estate...Fort Meyer, Fla. 2/11/10

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Actually Kate Little's review Dec 21, 2010
Allen,
Have just read this after drawing my attention to it on my 'Twilight' poem. I've responded to your comment there.
I really like the use of the word 'redwindles' .... the picture it and 'Life's prancing candle' evoke.
Beautiful imagery here of love of life fading, perhaps even to darkness, and then reawakening to light, happiness, love. The magic and beauty of life ... Him ... the circle of life ... of living.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Knowledge is power, but with great power comes great responsibility. With responsibility comes experience and with experience comes wisdom. So is life. Great write, thanks for posting :) I really enjoyed being able to think about what you said!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Too much too soon can blind a person .. isn't it better to understand little by little than learn too much in a mad rush? Your few words make a reader think, and that's a gift for which i thank you, kind sir.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love poems about the pursuit of knowledge, especially as it pertains to a spiritual awakening. A great poem, even though very concise.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very evocative. The burning quest for knowledge. Our thirst for life. One of your best, in my opinion. I look forward to reading the others!

Posted 12 Years Ago


A powerful poem. The statue of the good man made the words have meaning and strength. Knowledge is power. We must find a better way to live in the USA. Thank you for the excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


So have said so much in so few words! I can hardly wait for the sequels! And where is that review by Kate?
I wonder whether Edison felt a dwindling of his spirit, as his notoriety and fame increased? From what I have read, he wasn't a terribly nice or noble man, even at his best! (Review the biography of Nikola Tesla for the basis of that comment!)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Lifes prancing candle kindles, love this line, the way it speaks so powerful a statement without ever raising it's voice. Gorgeous, keep em' coming

Posted 12 Years Ago


The words of this poem are like soft gentle dew drops from heaven, graciously trickling towards touch down. So soothing, it fills me with an inner peace that I crave. It is an amazing poem!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very nice indeed, says so much...and progression will be so interesting to observe :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

823 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 19, 2011
Last Updated on April 23, 2012

Author

Allen Smuckler
Allen Smuckler

Sarasota, FL



About
I'm a poet, a singer, a peaceful gunslinger.. looking to share my poetry..and a little bit of me...if I dare I 've been writing since I was 18.... am slightly older now, and still trying to fin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Kisses Kisses

A Poem by Robin