Chapter 8 (Deuteronomy 6:8)

Chapter 8 (Deuteronomy 6:8)

A Chapter by Allen Smuckler

                               

Bind (the words that I command you today) as a sign on your arm, and they shall be ornaments between your eyes...Deuteronomy 6:8

    

     A Tallis, for the Gentiles in the audience, and even for a multitude of Jews, is a shawl (which holds no real religious significant other than it holds the tzizit (fringes) on its corners, which the Torah commands Jews to wear as a reminder of the mitzvot (blessing or good deed).  A Tallis is worn at morning services, both on weekdays and on Shabbat, and also on the night of Yom Kippur (The Day of Atonement and the most religious day in the Jewish religion). After reciting the blessing, you throw the Tallis over your shoulders like a cape and bring your hands together in front of your face briefly.... And away you go.

     The Tefillin, is worn at morning services on weekdays only.  The use of the tefillin is difficult to explain with words and should be taught by someone experienced, which I certainly am not. It is the process of binding the words to our hands and between our eyes. We do this by "laying tefillin" that is by binding to our arms and foreheads leather pouches containing scrolls of Torah passages. It is a long tedious process to lay the tefillin with several different prayers being said before and after each step.  I always thought it took longer to put the tefillin on than it did to actually dovan (pray).  The Tallis and tefillin should be put on before you begin prayer, and Tallis should be put on before tefillin.

     My father dovanned (prayed) every morning.  This after working the night shift at the post office, getting to bed around 2 a.m., waking at 6 a.m., praying until 7 a.m. and then going back to bed.  He did this every day for his entire life....and mine.  Never missed a beat, through hail, rain, sleet or snow... Oh wait, that was the Post office slogan, well it worked for both.

     It didn't matter; he was true to himself and never wavered. He, and I guess I, were Orthodox Jews and made no qualms about it.  Everyone else pretended to be Orthodox.  My father lived it and loved it.  We would walk miles to Synagogue on the Sabbath and Holidays, not turn lights on during the Sabbath, certainly kept Kosher, switched dishes during Passover, and celebrated EVERY holiday from Sukat to Purim, to Rosh Hoshana and Yom Kippur to Simkah Torah to Passover, to all Jewish children's favorite holiday; Chanukah. There were so many holidays; they often surprised me.  I just couldn’t keep them straight and always had to be reminded what part of Jewish history they each represented.

      "My Tallis and Tefillin"...These are the items he wanted me to have if "anything should happen" to him.  I knew the importance of those words and the absolute weight they carried.  But really, what could be so bad that would make my father feel he had to have this talk with me.  I was only ten and more importantly, he was only thirty-seven years old.

     He didn't get out of bed but pointed to the nightstand.

    "They're in the night stand, he muttered" as he hugged me and we laid there side by side in the stillness of our breath...                                                                                                                                                                                            

 

 

 

 

 



© 2012 Allen Smuckler


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is very educational. it's a glimpse into the orthodox jew's life of which i am completely ignorant because i am a recovering catholic. it's so sad for you to be having these conversations with your ailing dad. it makes the future scary. great chapter. looking forward to the next.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love the education gained by this chapter...and all that was written regarding your faith and the significance of each you spoke about...your descriptions were easy to understand and told the story of the events happening...so not only do you write poetry and fiction spot on, you are able to incorporate education as well. Well done Allen. Love it. Keep it coming! I love reading your work and look forward to more...

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very educational and a very real life story together. Nice how you mixed the two. This is very readable. I enjoyed this chapter.

Posted 12 Years Ago


this chapter made me well up inside, I loved it! So interesting to read all that, I have always wanted to know those kinds of things, and it was a bit of a thought provoker too! Your father seems to be able to carry through his commitments, I wish I could do that, when I see it in others it is very charismatic. You sure know how to write. Thanks.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Thank you for the story in this chapter. The things our parent teach us become more important with time. I like the places you took me with your story. I believe people who hold faith close to their heart. Have a better outlook on life. Again thank you for the outstanding chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
_
i really liked this the information was well written and text contained things i didn't. better then a textbook i can tell you that :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
?
Ok now my eyes are watering again. Youre good at this, ya know

Found the Jewish history lesson to be very imformative, found out some things I didnt even know, or even heard of for that matter.

Im waiting anxiously now for Chapter 9....and almost scared to read and find out what happens. Im loving this story of yours

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nice background material, Allen.

Posted 12 Years Ago


What I like about this text is the combination of information about the Jewish faith (lots of things here I didn`t know)and the personal background.Excellent work, honest and written with style.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Most amazing,
My eyes started to tear I loved it,
You have a true ability,
Very Well put.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

784 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 25, 2012
Last Updated on January 25, 2012


Author

Allen Smuckler
Allen Smuckler

Sarasota, FL



About
I'm a poet, a singer, a peaceful gunslinger.. looking to share my poetry..and a little bit of me...if I dare I 've been writing since I was 18.... am slightly older now, and still trying to fin.. more..

Writing