Chapter 9 (Our House)

Chapter 9 (Our House)

A Chapter by Allen Smuckler
"

....is a very, very, very fine house...Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (Our House)

"

           Chapter 9

                                     (Our House)

 

I remember way back then when everything was true and when

we would have such a very good time such a fine time

such a happy time

And I remember how we’d play simply waste the day away

Then we’d say nothing would come between us two dreamers

 

         Our house, was our castle and our keep

         Our house, in the middle of the street

         Our house, that was where we used to sleep

         Our house, in the middle of our street

         Our house, in the middle of our street                                                                                                        

                    written by McPherson, Grahm/Barson,

Michael/Bedford, Mark

                                                          

“Madness (1983)”

                                             by Madness

 

     Both my father and mother worked full time.  Back in the fifties that was not only unusual, it was rare.  My mother was a secretary and eventually worked her way to the position of executive secretary to the Treasurer of the Bridgeport Gas Company.  This was pretty impressive for a shy, reserved girl with a high school diploma who married shortly after graduating and conceiving my oldest sister, Sandy, not much later.  She had Sandy at the age of seventeen, Arlene 'The middle child', when she was twenty, and the baby of the family, me, at twenty-three...And still worked full time.

     The goal of most families in 1957 was to work hard, save money and purchase a home they could call their own.  After World War II (you know, the war after, the war to end all wars) husbands returned from overseas, wives held down the forts and  began to multiply (again with the math) and the future of America and the American family looked bright and promising. The American dream began in earnest and owning your own house was at the forefront.  My family was no different, and in 1957, my mother and father bought a piece of property in a suburban development and began building their dream home.

     They didn't literally ‘build’ the house, but every weekend, I remember going to the site and watching the house rise from the ground.  It was amazing to watch the work go into this little ranch house.  There was my father, sandpapering the walls of the basement, when that was all there was to the house. And there I was, standing at the edge of the foundation, looking down at my father.  I suppose he wanted those walls to be as smooth as possible.  Little did I know then, that those walls would surround and protect me for much of my childhood.  My first make out party, pool table, play area, weight room, fort, flood.... all took place in that basement.  Lots of experiences and memories I was far too young to appreciate at that time.  Who knew?  How does anyone know what lies ahead.  I just stood there for the longest time wondering why my father was sandpapering cement.

     The house began to take shape.  First the walls, then the roof, windows, shingles, and siding were added. The detached garage was built before the house was completed.  It was so small; I thought it was a playhouse for us.  What did I know?  The most amazing thing though, was the size of the yard.  It was half of an acre of lawn with a little bit of woods in the very back.  A path ran in the middle of the woods separating the back of our house on Toll House Lane from the rear of the property on Stevenson Road.  A hundred yards from the edge of our backyard was a playing field, where I would soon be honing my football and baseball skills with the rest of the neighborhood.  It was all too empty and undeveloped at the time.  We were after-all, the eighth house being built in a development that would soon contain eighty-one. Not a lot of variety, ranches and capes...but the builder spaced them in a two-one-two sequence, so eventually the development took on a look of distinction and character.

     It was an exciting time to say the least.  Everything was so beautiful and peaceful.  The Mill River snaked its way through the backyards of the homes across the street, no more than a hundred yards from our front door.  And yet, I was anxious, or at lest as anxious as one could be at the age of seven.  I was nervous for this new life I was about to embark on.  No one asked us if we wanted to move. It was simply decided. I think we were all happy, but if we weren’t, no one said anything. It was to be and there wasn’t anything anyone could do to change our circumstances… Not yet, anyway.

 

                                                                                           

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2012 Allen Smuckler


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

very vivid memories. shows the innocence of childhood when he thought the garage was a playhouse for him and his siblings. also shows the exhileration of starting a new life.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
?
Im lovin' this
You have written this so well and describe everything so perfect that it not only brings the reader into the story and your life so to speak but has us wanting more.
Lovely childhood memories...family....friends...wonderfully written Allen

Posted 12 Years Ago


These sound like really nice memories. You wrote this very well, it engages the reader in a positive way. Nothing boring about this at all.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I cannot describe how well penned I have thought this to be. My mind cannot wrap around words at the moment but still this is amazing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


you capture all this well, I will have to go back in a sec and read the first chapter, to see what goes on in those first formative seven years (if that's what it is about) but as for this chapter, you bring it to life, make it exciting, and then right at the end you make the reader want to know more, with that hint of resentment against change, creating a nice page turner. The way you educated your reader of the time the story is set in was done expertly and non intrusively. Excellent work. An enjoyable read. Thanks.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
Perfect. Don't change a damn thing. Not a full stop or a comma. Your snapshot of American youth... as good as any I've read anywhere. Including Ray Bradbury. Sublime work

Posted 12 Years Ago


What a beautiful vantage point for the "American Dream." The nostalgia you invoke for the child's innocence, reflected from a time when society was more innocent, at least on the surface...

And your last line...brilliantly-done foreshadowing of, perhaps, a bit of the apple in Eden...

Wonderful as always.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
_
its those little moments and features that affect our live forever do we yet sometimes forget its meaning and take the experience for granted, this was a beautiful peice very nice and it made me feel closer to home :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


The old culture aim at goals and didn't need credit cards. I like your story. Hard working people could succeed in the old world. I like your mother strength. I remember my mother working hard and never complaining raising us kids. I like the description of the new house. Thank you for the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well written text,with lots of details and good insights that makes you want to read more.I like autobiographical work and this is a well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

574 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2012
Last Updated on February 5, 2012


Author

Allen Smuckler
Allen Smuckler

Sarasota, FL



About
I'm a poet, a singer, a peaceful gunslinger.. looking to share my poetry..and a little bit of me...if I dare I 've been writing since I was 18.... am slightly older now, and still trying to fin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..