Love casts out fear

Love casts out fear

A Story by Ally
"

This is a quick story about what I found out about Gods love at the age of 16.

"

“There is no fear in love.  But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.  The one who fears is not made perfect in love.”(1 John 4:18)  Sitting at my Grandma’s kitchen table, with the bible laying right in front of me, I had never read something that had impacted me in such a way.  Reading the verse over and over again, I tried to find its underlying meaning.  Trying to fully grasp it, I could hear it in the back of my mind, repeating its self over and over again, making its way through every part of me until it reached its destination, my heart.  This had been the answer I had been looking for.  After reading 1 John 4:18, it transformed the way I thought, made me realize my fears, and most importantly made me realize who God truly is.

November 26, 2011 was the day that I first felt hope.  Sitting at my grandma’s wooden kitchen table, bored out of my mind, I decided to grab the Bible sitting on a bookshelf right across from me and opened it.  Flipping through the thin pages, I just started reading whatever caught my eye.  Finally my eyes landed on the book of 1 John.  It spoke of love and God.  Growing up in a dysfunctional family and never quite feeling truly loved, I was unsatisfied with my life, and felt like there wasn’t much for me to live for.  Looking back now, I know even then I was loved, but my child mind didn’t fully understand what love was.  It was a complete mystery to me.  Like a freshly planted flower craves water, my heart craved a supernatural kind of love.

            “Perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.”  I used to struggle with a lot of fears and even to this day I still do.  Growing up, I had always been a scared little kid.  First I had the typical fears; I was terrified of ghosts, the dark, getting bad grades, etc.  Eventually I grew out of these.  Then there came the deeper fears, the ones that are harder to get rid of.  I was scared I was going to end up like my mom (who wasn’t living the best lifestyle), scared I wasn’t ever going to amount too much in the future, scared of rejection, and most of all was scared that there was nothing outside of this universe.  The last fear was the one that got me the most.  It may sound crazy, but I desperately wanted there to be more than this life we all live.  Sometimes life is wonderful, but sometimes it stinks.  Have you ever wondered if there was something even greater and mysterious out there?  Somehow, the Bible quote gave me an answer. 

            In school I learned all about evolution, but the funny thing is, it never sat well with me.  For me to believe in evolution meant that I had to accept the fact that everything was an accident, which meant I was just simply here for absolutely no reason except to reproduce.  But my soul wanted there to be so much more!  I wanted to be here for a reason and I wanted to have a purpose.  I wanted to be created by a Creator and be loved by Him.  The verse comforted me to know that there is a God who is in control of everything, who made everything for a reason.  I had been struggling with many questions of who I was and what was the truth.  Everyone out there had his or her own beliefs and it was as if I just couldn’t find the answer I was looking for.  After reading this verse, words can’t describe how I felt.  For once I had hope and found something that I truly believed in.  Even to this day I can’t explain exactly why I was so blown away by this verse and why it changed my life so much.  I felt almost as if God had reached down and pointed that particular verse out to me, because He knew what I was searching for.  That is what makes that day even more special to me.

            That day, my family left my grandma’s house to head home.  Sitting in the car I looked out the window thinking of everything that had happened.  Looking up, my eye caught on a billboard and I felt my mouth drop.  It was all black except for the words that were displayed in the middle.  It said these exact words, “Perfect Love drives out fear.  God is Love.”  Now many people would have thought it was just a coincidence, but I no longer believed in coincidences and accidents.  I believe that billboard had a purpose, and it was served in my life.  I knew right then and there, I had nothing to fear.

            At that very moment I was able to take that first step on the path of freedom.  I was so bound up by my silly and serious fears; finally I was able to take a step forward and look back and see the things that were holding me down.  I wasn’t going to end up like my mom, because I was a completely different person, living a separate life, and could choose the lifestyle I was going to live.  I no longer needed to worry about the future because I knew I was in good hands.  Rejection still hurt, but at least I know I was not the only one who dealt with it.  Some things happen that will end up hurting us, but it will make us stronger.  I understood that life could be pretty tough sometimes, but in the end it was a life that is worth living because it was given to us for a reason so we all have a place in the future.  I felt like I had received the love that casts out all fear. 

           

 

© 2014 Ally


Author's Note

Ally
I hope you like this and find it very encouraging! Writing this really meant a lot to me, and know that when this story took place it changed my life. Hope it helps you with whatever fears you are struggling through.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a beautiful read as well as beautifully written. Nothing helps to strengthen our path through life more than a strong positive epiphany. Your reflections on the event that moved you so deeply are testimony to the power of God's love. Your story is also encouraging in that your education left you yearning for more meaning in life than the scientific minds who accept evolution and death as the be all and end all of life. Like you, I have faith and hope that only a higher power can give. Love is the savior of mankind. Without it there is chaos. With it, there is comfort, joy and peace. I feel comfort, joy and peace after reading of your journey. You have spread your love, Ally. Please continue sharing your insights.
- Ron

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ally

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your encouragement! I really appreciate it! And I am glad we share similar v.. read more



Reviews

Ally, I can tell you that your story has reached to my heart, I can relate to the feelings you had before finding that wonderful verse that changed your life... The God we serve is amazing, he knows what we need and when we need it, we must believe that He will show up when we need Him. He doesn't waste His time so He won't waste mine and your times either... But when we grow with fear in our heart as a child, it's not easy to get away from them, so the circumstances you have shared about your life is very relatable to me too, and I can feel the exact passion and joy the way you have felt after reading God's words... God's hands are never too short, He can reach to anyone... It is a beautiful write my frnd, God bless you and I pray that you continue to be this happy for the rest of your life...

Dhiman))

Posted 7 Years Ago


This is a beautiful read as well as beautifully written. Nothing helps to strengthen our path through life more than a strong positive epiphany. Your reflections on the event that moved you so deeply are testimony to the power of God's love. Your story is also encouraging in that your education left you yearning for more meaning in life than the scientific minds who accept evolution and death as the be all and end all of life. Like you, I have faith and hope that only a higher power can give. Love is the savior of mankind. Without it there is chaos. With it, there is comfort, joy and peace. I feel comfort, joy and peace after reading of your journey. You have spread your love, Ally. Please continue sharing your insights.
- Ron

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ally

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your encouragement! I really appreciate it! And I am glad we share similar v.. read more
Inspiring story Ally, nice job with the telling.
:D

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ally

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much Ana Sophia!
When something wonderful happens when we really know, without a doubt, that God loves us—our questions completely change. Instead of asking, “Why did this happen to me?” or “Why doesn’t God care about me?” we say, “Well, I know God loves me; I know that. So what can I learn from this experience?”
I hope this helps ALSO, God will always love us and help us get threw anything with his help.
Keep on writing!

C. Lee Battaglia


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

C. Lee Battaglia

9 Years Ago

Your welcome Ally! I encourage you to read my story and book, called The blonde girl, and The link t.. read more
Ally

9 Years Ago

Ok! I will definitely look into it! Thank you!
C. Lee Battaglia

9 Years Ago

Your very welcome! :)
"...amount too much in the future, " - to or too?

A fair and thought-full piece of work. Read well.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ally

9 Years Ago

Haha thanks for catching that! And thanks for reading!
It's true that fears can bind you. You describe it very well in this text. You have a good narration style. Well done, Ally. :) Rudi

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

484 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 13, 2014
Last Updated on December 13, 2014
Tags: God, Love, Fear

Author

Ally
Ally

Charlotte, NC



About
Hi! I am currently working on my creative journey to simply write more. (Because it brings me joy and I find it magical.) more..

Writing
The Snail Life The Snail Life

A Story by Ally



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..