The crash

The crash

A Story by Laura Almeida
"

A funny little story about two neighbors

"
I watched as she crashed head-first onto the footpath. 

She landed right beside the garbage bags my neighbour had left outside. I couldn’t help but notice the horror on her face - but I wasn’t sure if she was more horrified by her fall, or that she had almost fallen face-first into a pile of garbage.

She looked up with embarrassment all over her beautiful face. Again, I wasn’t sure if she was looking around to see if anyone had seen her trip, or if she was looking around for someone to ‘rescue’ her from her embarrassing situation. No way was I going to help her out - I was enjoying this far too much. The queen bee of the neighbourhood being humiliated in broad daylight. Granted, there weren’t any spectators around beside myself and that elderly woman from across the street. And she was really far too old to be of much help to anyone. 

I hurriedly closed the curtains when I thought she might spot me, but I could still observe her without changing my position too much. She finally got up, brushed off her jeans, and strutted right down the short driveway to my house. I couldn’t believe it - was she actually coming to meet me? I stumbled down the staircase in my rush to open the door for her, and ended up crashing against the old-fashioned telephone on the tiny table at the foot of the stairs. But I was up and running as fast as possible and opened the door trying not to look breathless and over-eager. 

“Are you alright?” She asked “I heard a crash and there’s a big red welt on your forehead.”

© 2015 Laura Almeida


Author's Note

Laura Almeida
A more light story a bit different from my usual stuff.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well, now, I must be truthful. I saw your age and half-expected your writing to be full of tech-speak, un-capitalized words, and such. There's none of that here--in fact, I find this piece to be very well-written, interesting and funny. My hat goes off to you, Laura.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Laura Almeida

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much for giving me a chance! :)



Reviews

Chuckling here - a great "recovery" line.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is really clever. Clearly you have talent for this style of writing and I'm a fan! :) Stay inspired!

Posted 7 Years Ago


This reminds me of my story "Premonitions" . . . a parallel force creating this situation, for sure! I love little vignettes like this, observing things that happen to others & ourselves, in an objective way. I like the way the story ends without an explanation, but leaving it to the reader to draw conclusions. There are so many embedded lessons here, despite the seemingly simple nature of the telling.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I've got to admit. That ending got a chuckle out of me. Quite enjoyable.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Hi Laura, well done! It is very human to wish a queen bee to come tumble down. You capture this here in a very funny way. This double act of 'keeping up appearances' is well written.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Clever piece, it is awesome to see some variety in your work. Well done. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Well, now, I must be truthful. I saw your age and half-expected your writing to be full of tech-speak, un-capitalized words, and such. There's none of that here--in fact, I find this piece to be very well-written, interesting and funny. My hat goes off to you, Laura.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Laura Almeida

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much for giving me a chance! :)
what do i understand may also be a li'l different...
The young one vs old ones;
the plannings vs actions;
the fear vs bravery;
the loosers vs winners;

Absoulutely this is just not a story its CURRENT SCENARIO ¡¡¡¡

Posted 8 Years Ago


aHA!!!!
Karma is awesome!!!
..........and oh.......forgive me for being insensitive........are you alright dear?........

short but perfectly illustrates your skills as a writer.........
loved it!!!
:)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lol. The proverbial shoe! Enjoyed that. Thank you

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

489 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 17, 2015
Last Updated on December 17, 2015
Tags: comedy, funny, fall, romance

Author

Laura Almeida
Laura Almeida

London, United Kingdom



About
I'm 23 years old, I love short stories and currently I write alot and read alot. If you want me to review something you wrote just pm me. Its great to meet you all more..

Writing
Hunt Hunt

A Story by Laura Almeida



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Black Beauty Black Beauty

A Story by Woody


Pancakes Pancakes

A Poem by Hayley