Can you find that one girl?

Can you find that one girl?

A Poem by Alone In A Crowd

He weaves in and out of the rows of students-
Sitting bored and tired after just waking,
They mutter among themselves.
But all one girl hears is the whisper of the devil.

Todays assembly is about safety.
As the head alligns her papers and clears her throat;
Ready to address the mass of pupils.
That one girl; feels sick.

The one teacher she confided her secret in- wasn't there.
But the man her teacher was obligated to tell- was.
The girl can feel him watching her,
He knows how this assembley is going to affect her.

The head begins her speech with;
What to do if someone threatens you.
And that you shouldn't descriminate against people,
Because of how they look.

The girl knew where this speech was going to lead.
She focused on trying to block out the invading voice;
Contaminating her thoughts,
And desperately grasping at her emotions.

Then the head began to explain mental safety-
Which eventually led to self injury.
His quick glare broke down the barakades she'd put up,
She felt hollow.

She couldn't help but listen intently,
Seeing how much truth the head was stating.
She could relate.
She didn't think her self hatred,
Manefested it's self in such a bad way;
It's just her method of coping.

She hides it so well.
Those deep, dark emotions.
That need to pick up the knife.
But don't be fooled by her smile;
For the mask she wears on the outside,
Contradicts the scared, crying little girl within

If you look carefuly you can see the signs.
That girl needs someone.
But can you spot her?

© 2013 Alone In A Crowd


Author's Note

Alone In A Crowd
This has elements of truth for me. This was a set of circumstances that happened to me today, and needed to write it down somehow. Thank you for reading and reviewing. I'm always open to constructive critism. Thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great piece... i found myself trying to spot her. Wonderful build up of emotions throughout.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Alone In A Crowd

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your words.
Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

10 Years Ago

It was a pleasure.
A strong tale that definitely invokes feeling of sympathy and altruism. You have written a good piece, I enjoyed the read. Well done :D

Posted 10 Years Ago


Alone In A Crowd

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much.
Luke Rawlings

10 Years Ago

You are most welcome :)
wow this is such a deep and powerful poem, so full of emotions, I'm really blown away by it. I was totally captured by it. I enjoyed reading it a lot. Fantastic write :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Alone In A Crowd

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review.
annabellee

10 Years Ago

you're most welcome :)
This is such a real and raw piece of prose. As a teacher, I can put myself in this assembly, and I am overwhelmed with concern. Your final line really hits the point well - we see people suffering around us all the time - but do we really see? Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Alone In A Crowd

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review, and no need to be concerned.
I always like reading about real life situations. I think it would be interesting as a flash fiction or a short story because there can be even more imagery and emotion than what you have put in the poem, which the emotion is at a high level in this writing. Take Care! Stay Strong! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Alone In A Crowd

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your review. xxx
“How will you know I am hurting if you cannot see my pain?
To wear it on my body tells what words cannot explain.” ~ C. Blount

I left this site a few days ago because I was overwhelmed by all the drama and lies and people manipulating and playing games - bullying and social experiments and people with multiple profiles and accusations....it was all a manufactured madness and I thought there's enough real drama I am exposed to beyond this computer screen that I don't need to waste my time sifting through all mind games on here. I hacked away at my friends list because there were plenty of people there I didn't even know a thing about but I had accepted them maybe because it was some social status to have a long list of friends or maybe because it meant there would be more people to read what I wrote. I turned off my read requests because people who I didn't even know were dumping their whole library on me to read when they hadn't even read a single poem of mine. I was sick of the games and people reading reading some pretty bad poetry and reviewing it like it was Dickinson or Poe or someone just so the writer would return the favor and give their own work a great review. But in the end the reason I came back was because of the real poetry being written here. Poetry that is from the heart and soul. Poetry that matters. Poetry that needs to be read. It's not all perfect according to rhyme scheme or format or perfect meter or rhythm. The grammar may be off and their may be misspelled words or misuse of punctuation....whatever. I refuse to indulge the ignorance of someone who will blast a poem because they didn't like the choice of font or because of using too many spaces in between one line and the next. If that's what the author asks for in their note then fine - send them a message and tell them your opinion. But the heart of the poetry is the only thing I am here for. The reality of ripping a page from your very heart and offering it up for all to see. Revealing the pain, and heartache or the absolute joys and splendor you are feeling. Revealing yourself even to the point of being vulnerable - that is real poetry to me. And that is where you find the beauty even amidst the darkness.

I know I am rambling here becky, but it is poets such as yourself and poems such as this that brought me back to the site. It is poetry that is relevant and dark and beautiful all at the same time. These are words to be read and examined and taken to heart. These are words to make you think and make you look into your own heart and examine how you treat others. These are words to make one wonder just how blind they may have been and to open their eyes and look and maybe....just maybe....spot that person who needs them. And don't lose your faith in humanity so much that you quit reaching out or become so jaded that you become like them and don't see the hand that is reaching out to you. Thanks for writing this!


Posted 10 Years Ago


Alone In A Crowd

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your review, I wondered why there hadn't been much activity from you recentl.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

512 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 10, 2013
Last Updated on September 4, 2013

Author

Alone In A Crowd
Alone In A Crowd

United Kingdom



About
Hi, I'm 15 and live in the United Kingdom. I started writing after my English teacher began helping me cope with the things I'm going through. I definately prefer poems and trying to add meaning to th.. more..

Writing