Court by the fireplace

Court by the fireplace

A Story by Amantle Moeng
"

This was taken from my diary, and its a true narration of what happened that evening when my grandma and some of my family members sat around the fire. What a beautiful Botswana evening. Enjoy!

"

“So, when are you getting married to her?” she asked, putting the logs back together and fanning them slowly.                 ............................

 I had to sit on a wooden stool to the side of a mud hut where the warmth of a smoky fire brought the family to a silent collect. Winter sunsets in Bolelatlhaga can be arrogant, but the dark outlines of cows moving slowly against the gold western skies portrayed a freedom of some sort, and the bells hanging from their necks connected high and low like harmonies of an independence song. I knew exactly where they were headed; south of the pastures, where a thick growth of acacia prickles enfolds a huge eroded plain. At the centre of this plain stands a tall mokoba tree "a sentry at night who remains on the lookout through the day.

Unlike the irritating monotony of the ticking clock in a crammed metropolitan office, the evenings of an African countryside bellow with singing birds, whistling herd-boys and the unsolved hiss from the deeper backwoods. This is one of those places where the cruelty of human interaction has not yet stripped nature of its perfect balance, at least not yet. The sky hosts a serene array of winking stars; dim, shooting, bright and loud. One can easily identify these; the atmosphere is free of smoggy petrol and factory fumes of today’s city. I can only pray that this literal meaning of nature’s autonomy may last beyond my generation.

 

My grandmother was staring into the fire, watching the brutal flames hitting the three legged pot of water to a red hot defeat. This could only mean that her mind was journeying around, and yes, I was waiting to hear what waited on the other face of the silence (as was everyone else). She leaned forward into the fire and with a small piece of wood she shook it ‘awake’. This sent a parade of sparks flying indolently before getting swallowed by dusk. “So, when are you getting married to her?” she asked, putting the logs back together and fanning them slowly. Then the fire was sternly ablaze, and I could see her eyes staring right into mine. I had to answer the question, but where did this come from??

© 2013 Amantle Moeng


Author's Note

Amantle Moeng
This is my second piece, and its non-fictional. I'm not quite satisfied with it, i hope your reviews will help me improve it. Thanks in Advance.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

dear Amantle.. I am spellbound by
the mysterious overtones in your
poetry.... stirring the fire awake
with a wooden stick... and where
did grandmother's question come from.
I adore the winking stars. Your script
receives five stars from me. truly... Pat



Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amantle Moeng

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Pat, 5 stars? Wow, that means a lot to me Patricia.



Reviews

dear Amantle.. I am spellbound by
the mysterious overtones in your
poetry.... stirring the fire awake
with a wooden stick... and where
did grandmother's question come from.
I adore the winking stars. Your script
receives five stars from me. truly... Pat



Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amantle Moeng

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Pat, 5 stars? Wow, that means a lot to me Patricia.
Very very good imagery! It was fun to read and the whole time I feeling glad that I was reading it! Awesome!! :D Keep it comin'!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amantle Moeng

10 Years Ago

Thanks Nazifa, I'll keep 'em coming!
Your writing is rich in imagery and love of family. You brought us to the scene with sights, sounds, and aromas. The build up of what your grandmother would say (and your respect for her) was grand. I would not change a thing about this. I would, however, like to see more! Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amantle Moeng

10 Years Ago

This means a lot to me Lydi, and yes I'll keep them coming. Thank you so much for your review!
.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 12, 2013
Last Updated on October 12, 2013

Author

Amantle Moeng
Amantle Moeng

Gaborone, Southern Botswana, Botswana



About
I'm a Civil Engineer from Botswana who loves reading, writing and making music more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Until... Until...

A Poem by MsJewel


Let my heart Let my heart

A Poem by Sanober