Cupcakes

Cupcakes

A Chapter by Amber Tasch
"

pleeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me what you think or ill die!!

"

   

Chapter one: Cupcakes

Wind rolled over the sweet grass and farmers tended to their livestock. The Land of Candy was at peace, but its princess was not. Princess Buttercup was pacing in her throne room with her golden hair flowing behind her, matching the movements of her purple silk gown. Her chocolate servants worried for their young princess, and for their country. Buttercup looked nervously over her shoulder at the large oak door that sealed off the room.

     "Do not worry ma'am. I'm sure that he will return soon," one of the servants spoke up.

    "The sooner would be nice." Buttercup said as she continued to pace. "I wish that I had sent younger bones to fetch the news. Perhaps I work him to hard and he has fled. Perhaps the news was too great for his weak heart to bear and he has departed."

    "My dear lady! Why have such a gloomy outlook on the situation? What if the news was good?"

    "Then he would be here sooner. The Land of Sweets does not take kindly to us and you know that. The news is without a doubt, horrid." And with that she sat in her peppermint throne. Hours would pass before her white-chocolate advisor came through the oaken doors, so she saw no point in pacing any longer. She began to lick her finger and swirl the red peppermint into the white. she had turned the mint pink by the time her advisor showed up, breathing heavy, but with a smile.

   She stood abruptly and went to her advisor's side. Though buttercup was eager for news she knew that she had to let the old man rest. He drank some sweet nectar and spoke.

    "Princess, there is grave news. A war is brewing and the only light out would seem to be to meet the demands of their king." The old man coughed until his face was as pink as the peppermint on Buttercup's throne.

   "Speak up silly man! What demands are these? What requests are needed to be met?"

   "Princess, he wished to marry the cupcake prince to you."

   Suddenly she stood a little straighter, acting as educated as she could. "I would rather kiss a bitter apple than his lips in matrimony. Of all the ridiculous requests that I have heard in my life, that is the most ridiculous. Scribe!"

   A small man made of licorice came over to her in a hurry. "yes ma'am?"

   "Write to this king and tell him-" suddenly she was cut off. Her advisor had his hand on her shoulder.

   "Mistress please," he said in a pathetic voice. "Think on this matter. We cannot afford to go to war, not in these times."

   "You silly old fool, would you trade in pride for you're country for the safety of you're people? Of course you would. But did you not think that we could win? Of course you didn't. However you are my advisor. When mom and dad died you took care of me and I trust you're judgment. I will deliberate on the matter at hand."

    "Thank you. Despite the first comments, you are quite mature."

    Buttercup blushed and turned quickly to hide it. She walked to the window and sighed. Never had she thought that she would have to make such an enormous decision in her lifetime. She was young and unprepared. She was even a little scared though she would not show it when her servants and advisor were around. She dismissed then and asked to have the throne later fixed of the damage she had done to the arm while waiting. She paced a little longer pondering her marriage, they decided to give up and go to bed.

     As she went up to her room she realized something as the situation sunk in. What IF she said no? She immediately went to her chamber and pressed a chocolate button on the gram-cracker wall. A small tray popped out to reveal a map of the two kingdoms, Candy and Sweets, and small marker representing flanks or the armies. She began to work out a strategy, studying the war tactics of the Land of Sweets, and created a backup plan. She left no time to think about marrying such a horrid man and went to sleep to avoid the matter entirely.

    Buttercup never dreamt. She always had nightmares and could never do a thing to get anything else. The stress of todays news was no exception. Her sleep was filled with the choking scent of blood and the piercing screams of her people. All the candy hills crumbled and the sugar stalks died. Her servants and advisor melted along with all the other candy people. She was utterly alone with only herself for company. Eventually she became so weakened by hunger she had to go to the Land of Sweets and beg for food, only to find that they were at war and she had lost.

    She awoke the next morning to find that her people where happily living their lives and completely unaware of what was happening on the inside of the palace. "Good," she thought to herself. "I do not want them to worry for themselves. They are good people and should be living freely." She felt sweet tears drip down her face and fall onto her silk dress and absorb. She wiped them away and went to the dining hall for breakfast.

 



© 2011 Amber Tasch


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

What an interesting idea. i never thought of a land filled with candy going to war with another.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very interesting chapter! I really like the details and the mysterious prince we have not met yet is interesting....why is he such a bad person? I must read on and find out. Excellent work.

If you could do me a favor and read request me the next chapter, it would help a lot. I have to read a lot more entries and review a lot more, but I promise to get to reading the rest of you book!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very cool idea, a Land of Candy. There were a few spelling and grammar mistakes that threw me off a little, but overall, I enjoyed this.

"You silly old fool, would you trade in pride for you're country for the safety of you're people?" Both "you'res" should be "your."

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think that it is a good start for this story. I love the fantasy and you made a incredible detail world. I can't wait to read more. Keep it up.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I am enjoying this story so far! I think it is an interesting fantasy, and I can tell that you actually planned this out, because the details all coerced together in beautiful harmony. I like Princess Buttercup and that she is a wise ruler even though she is young! I will add your book to my reading list so, I can read and review more!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think this is a good start but it needs to be expanded on. I would love more detail, the more you can tell me the more I am brought in, now I know this is chapter 1, but I love detail.


Matthew

Posted 13 Years Ago


If I were reading this first chapter at a Barnes and Noble, I would buy it immediately. Despite the obvious resemblance to a game of CandyLand, this is one of the most unique, interesting story concepts I've encountered in a while. It's a delight to read. And personally, as an aside, anything that begins with the title "Cupcakes," has my approval. lol. I do not wish to detract from my praise but for a moment, to point out that there were some small grammar and spelling issues that should be adressed before seeking publication. For example, "Never had she thoughten..." Regretably, "thoughten" is not a word. It should simply be "thought." Otherwise, absolutely fabulous.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very cute idea. Would make a good book for kids.

Posted 13 Years Ago


lol cool

Posted 13 Years Ago


I was caught in this just by the title 'Cupcakes' :P interesting write, and very mind-catching, I was caught in this chapter almost instantly :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

764 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 17, 2011
Last Updated on April 16, 2011
Tags: Land, of, candy, death, princess, sweets, book, cupcake


Author

Amber Tasch
Amber Tasch

Not in one!, RI



About
i would rather draw but my friends wanted me to get one of these look me up at [email protected] more..

Writing
CxR CxR

A Story by Amber Tasch



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..