Lollipops

Lollipops

A Chapter by Amber Tasch
"

due to the responses i've been getting, i've decided to continue this story!! hope you like it as much as chapter 1!

"

  

Chapter Two: Lollipops

 The cereal was bland today, no matter how many marshmallows that Buttercup put into it. She was dreading the moment when her advisor would walk in and ask for her final ruling on the subject. Her only hope of getting out of that would be to go into the town and see how her people were holding up.

    The held a lilac parasol above her head to match her dress. It was exceptionally hot and she often found herself wondering why her people did not melt in the sun when all the edible candy melted if you kept it in your pocket too long. This thought was replaced by the sudden noise behind her. There were two men behind her arguing in the square. She went over to a sugar cane farmer and asked who the two men where.

     "That there," the sweaty farmer said pointing at the one made of licorice, “is William Forest. He is defending himself against Todd Trend." He pointed to a man made of gingerbread with many different candies on his trousers.

   "What, good farmer, has Mr. Trend done to Mr. William?"

   "Well your highness, Todd is merely trying to how that he is the best fighter in town. William disagrees."

    Buttercup was suddenly concerned. If commoners thought that they were the strongest, and not her army, then there was certainly not enough assurance of here power here. She made a mental note of this and continued to watch the argument in the candy coated street.

    "You sir, are nothing but a worthless Twizzler!!"

    "And you sir, are nothing more than a coward. I do not wish to fight you but will do so if necessary!"

     With the last remark Todd rushed William. He dodged the attack and elbowed Todd's back, sending him into the dust. He got up coughing and swinging blindly, eyes full of dust. William simply dodged and waited for the dust to clear from his opponents eyes.

    "Todd I do wish that you would kindly give in."

    "Never!"

    Todd swung again, this time hitting William in the stomach. This time William grabbed Todd's arm just as it hit him, and flipped Todd on to his back. With a small bow to his opponent and the dispersing crowd of on lookers, William walked away. Buttercup quickly caught up with him. If she could get him to be on her guard then she might get the people of her land to respect her military power.

    "Good sir may I ask for a moment?"

    "My Dear Princess, whatever could you want of me?"

   "I need someone as strong and brave as you on my court."

    "You neither know that I am strong or brave. I'm afraid that i cannot join you."

    "Please sir? Would you rather demonstrate?"

    "If it will please my lady."

    Buttercup grabbed his arm and directed him towards th castle. She was hoping to get back later but decided to try and put all focus on William becoming part of her court. As soon as they arrived at the gates however, her advisor was waiting for her.

   "Your highness, this is no time to bring villagers to the palace! You have a duty to perform!"

    Buttercup went to protest but William held up his hand.

    "My lady, I have no place here. Perhaps I will come again when I am needed, perhaps I will not." He gave a deep bow to Buttercup and her advisor and left.

    The advisor grabbed Buttercup's arm and led her to her throne. He was obviousley upset with the way she avoiding the matter at hand. Seeing no way out of the advisors grip on her arm she simply let him lead her to her throne and listen to his scolding words.

    "So? What is your decision? Is it marriage? We cannot with stand a war. I think that it would be very unwise of you to bring war upon this land!"

    "I think that we could use a little war," Buttercup suddenly decided. "It would show patriotism and love for our land! I would never bring an intruder into our land! I do not favor politics and am not ever sure how this marriage would solve a single thing."

    Shocked by her words the advisor took a while to find an appropriate response.

    "You are still young and I do not think that you have thought this through enough. The prince will come later today and then you can see what you think of him."

     Buttercup suddenly filled with rage. Of all the things that she could tolerate, being treated like a child instead of a princess was not one of them.

    "How dare you speak to me in such a manner?! I do not have to take orders from you!!" You will speak to me as your ruler and not as your child!! If I say that there is war, then there is war!!!"

    She didn't realize what she was saying until it was too late. She had accidently commanded that they go to war and told off the one person who had ever really cared for her. He simply huffed and went off to his chambers, not longer white chocolate, but tinted pink with fury. She felt awful but had no time to consider an apology, she had a war to plan out. Her backup plan was not yet complete and she had to rally people to fight in this war.

     She went to her guards and with a heavy heart, requested that all strong and able men were to be brought to the palace and trained immediately. She knew what she was doing, destroying families like a monster, and all for her pride. She went onto the terrace and faced her village.

    "Land of Candy hear my words!! A war has been waged between us and the Land of Sweets. All men that are strong and able will be drafted to help with the army. It is with a heavy heart that i say that but I promise you a swift and just victory!"

    The masses were appalled at first, having their husbands and sons taken away, but then turned spirited knowing that they would have their princess to rely on to win this war. Knowing that she could not keep this promise Buttercup turned away from the streets and wiped bitter tears from her cheek.

 



© 2011 Amber Tasch


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hmm. I really don't think she made the right decision, but I understand why she made it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Such suspense, I really like where this is going. What shall happen next, will the war favor them or will they be doomed? Excellent work showing Buttercup's pride and how she is blinded by it and she is not doing what is best for her country. I really like it and it kind of reminds me of the board game Candy Land.....did you happen to base it off of that? Anyways, Well Done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


"You sir, are nothing but a worthless Twizzler!!" I laughed at that line. You don't need the multiple exclamation marks, though, both there and later in the chapter. I am really enjoying this and its humor. It reminds me of the movie "The Princess Bride." Like the other reviewers, I do wish that there were fewer spelling and grammar errors, though.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Amber, I am sorry to say that I didnt pick up this book earlier, because I am falling in love with this story! I love stories that can take me away to a fantastical place and make me fall in love with a word so different from mine. I do think this will make a great middle grade book! I will continue to read on...

Posted 12 Years Ago


Another fabulous chapter of what may be becoming my favorite book. lol Candy AND politics? Genius! The only contextual remark I will make is that the princess's decision does seem rather hasty, considering the circumstances, the presence of Prince Cupcake, etc. Also, the spelling and grammar errors were a bit distracting. It's somewhat apparent that this was an early draft and it deserves a few more skim-throughs. Otherwise, again, a pure delight.

Posted 13 Years Ago


amazing job i loved ittt :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


great! lots and lots of spelling mistakes but still great

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

444 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 18, 2011
Last Updated on July 23, 2011
Tags: Land, of, candy, death, princess, sweets, book, lollipops, liccourice


Author

Amber Tasch
Amber Tasch

Not in one!, RI



About
i would rather draw but my friends wanted me to get one of these look me up at [email protected] more..

Writing
CxR CxR

A Story by Amber Tasch