"Hey Ole Man..."  "The Cafe` - Life As We Live It"

"Hey Ole Man..." "The Cafe` - Life As We Live It"

A Poem by Chris
"

A piece of an interrupted chapbook

"

“The Cafe` - Life As We Live It"

"Hey Ole Man..."

"Hey ole man, how’s your coffee holding up?”  I paused my writing - just more of my scrawling, actually, and looked up.  Her eyes were crinkle-squinched and her lips had that smile.  “God’s gonna get ya…” I said, “Ole man…sheesh…” and motioned toward the empty mug.

”Well it isn’t like you’ve had your normal five or anything yet,” she quipped back as she poured, laughed, then continued on her customer rounds.

I like sidewalk cafes.  You can pause a bit, think things over… and over again if necessary.  Write if you like, watch - everything and everyone… and sip coffee.  And HERE the coffee is actually good and Mary is cute as hell too.

University towns have that certain ‘feel’; so many enthusiastic highs beside the deepest darkest lows - the ones that the daytime soaps just can’t seem to get enough of, let alone get right.  “Guys and Dolls,” I mumbled to myself as I watched so many ‘dreams’ meandering by.  Well, back to the scrawling…

Time has this way of passing without notice when I write.  Focus is seldom an issue regardless of background noise or events.  Yet I sensed eyes looking over my shoulder.  Then came the scraping sound of a chair being pulled up to the table.

”Hi” I said - without thought or pausing or even looking up, trying to finish the current line before it escaped forever.  Then Mary came up beside me, “and you’ll have?” she asked.

The answering voice derailed the train.  “Black coffee " and bring him another too, please.”

I looked up and into a place a man " no man " should ever wander into without malice of forethought - the absolute greenest eyes gazing back into mine.  I could actually breathe but didn’t know if I wanted to… I didn’t even notice Mary writing down the ticket, then turn and walk away.

There’s pretty and beautiful and striking and then - there was her.  I wasn’t at a loss for words - there WERE no words… to say or think or interfere, just the absolute greenest eyes gazing into mine.  It took a moment… “Damn.” I said and shook my head lightly to break the spell.  Such is the gestalt of captured attention.

”Pardon?”  She laughed out loud… even I KNOW a woman realizes the effect she has on a humble target of opportunity.  “I said… Damn,” I answered then chuckled, “You have quite a presence.”

This time she chuckled back, “Yeah, neat isn’t it?”  as she reached and took my journal from the table, flipped a page back, paused and then began to read aloud.

”There are so many echoes
through our lives.
Moments beyond count -
though so few remembered…

each touch our nows

and our being -
and we?

Don’t even see
our present coming, because
our past shades our eyes,
our thoughts, our tastes of existence.”

 ....She paused looked into my eyes again… smiled.  Then she turned the page and continued…

”I like the thought
of tomorrow…
the taste of it on my lips,
the smoothness of it in my mind.

There’s a FEEL that it has
to me
unlike any other thought
any other wish
construct
presence
desire…
unlike even the touch of…”

...and she stopped, looked up - seemed about to say something, but then just sat back and waited expectantly...

”The absolute greenest eyes
I’d never seen.” I said aloud -
without having to look at the page.

Chris

© 2013 Chris


Author's Note

Chris
Say what you want - feel free

This was placed at One Stop Poetry
week 54
http://onestoppoetry.com/

The link is no longer valid. OneStopPoetry sold out/shut down...was a shame but they did what they needed to do.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Chrisk
"Hey Ole man....""The Cafe"
I am inspired once again as I read another of your "Cafe" writes. This is a narrative really, it seems a discussion from within you on a one track experience train, track by track.
I have been struggling lately with wanting to write family history and it is challenging for me to do.
Ya know what though: it is simply about doing the thing and just do the work. so yea.
Well it was great fun being brought into your college town with young adults running around full of energy and curiosity and it looks like one of them came and sat by you wanting to see what you were writing. That must of been a compliment for sure.
Thanks for sharing and being a inspiration to someone like me.
Blessings, to you,
Kathy

Posted 6 Years Ago


Deep breath and...BIG smile xx

Posted 10 Years Ago


How come that link takes me to a page for valium?

*♫♪ ♥ ♫♪*

Posted 11 Years Ago


*♫♪ ♥ ♫♪*

Posted 11 Years Ago


There is something about green eyes --Hoping you are well Chris--I enjoyed this a bunch

Posted 11 Years Ago


Chris

11 Years Ago

I'm glad you found this one... a "shade" from other days ya know. How've you been Audrey?
Audrey Howitt

11 Years Ago

Well really--just finished a draft of a novel for NaNoWriMo--and sitting down to edit--
Chris

11 Years Ago

THAT is great!! it going to be available for reading by us of the great unwashed?
Green eyes indeed...mystic even, captures the poets thoughts and brilliance spills, happy you shared this with me.

Posted 11 Years Ago


if I were Mary.. my blue eyes MIGHT turn green.. for a moment.. until I remember that I am the cute one with the coffee pot that leaves chocolate kisses...

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is ....
Well what can I possibly say here that will matter at all?
... it is unique and WOW.
Do ya hear me friend???


Posted 11 Years Ago


What a darling moment with green eyes ! ( ;

Posted 11 Years Ago


a poem within a story... engaging indeed.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

809 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 30, 2011
Last Updated on March 4, 2013
Tags: Poetry, Writing, CHris
Previous Versions

Author

Chris
Chris

Lansing, MI



About
"Life is a terminal disease." All the doctors have basically told me so. "Life is an adventure... Pain, well you deal. Thanks for being here. 06/21/2020 I'm back and working on. I've been.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..