"Teddy Bear..."  Poem

"Teddy Bear..." Poem

A Poem by Chris
"

Returned in memory

"

I've walked the streets
of so many places -
round the world

and just around your corner
too.

and all the thrown-away people
wandering by...

wandering

being what they are -
its all they have now.

Ever really wonder
just
how many paychecks you are
from being a 'them' too?

I remember reading
a Washington Post obit
of a Vet that died
sleeping on a sidewalk vent -
downtown DC, the night before...

same day I finally visited 'The Wall'.

I always wondered why -
they didn't add his name...

he gave it all
in the end.

Being outside -
you WANT oversize shoes
for the extra socks, ya know?

People have reasons,
not always excuses -
for being where they are
when they are
as they are...

and because they ARE people
they ARE worth listening to...

"Teddy Bear..." was a 'minute', just another cold-day-
in-hell, Philadelphia... it had snowed the night before.

"Teddy Bear..."

Shuffle a bit,
keepin' warm...
move, stop, move again.

Look at the pretties -
"...nice pretties...",
ice sparkles so - see?

So slowly reach,
softly touch - touch -
trace the smooth melting curves -

breathe,
look closer - am cold,
move again.

Hates shadows,
lives in shadows
,
is a shadow...

I can see, I can...
all the eyes that look away,
that just pass by.

I watch them scurry,
so busy doing...
what?

I don't know but
they do - they must
cause they're busy.

I was busy,
can be busy,
look... see?

I was...

Am hungry...
no matter - eat tomorrow,
yeah, tomorrows good,

a sunny day,
...
warm sunny day -
no shadows tomorrow
,
hates shadows.

Am cold,
move again - breathe.
I was them...
was
.

Listens to my heartbeat,
is the voice I know best.

Its still there... damn
,
wish it wasn't.

Maybe tomorrow...
yeah, tomorrow's good,

a sunny day -
hates the shadows
.

I had a teddy bear too...
somewhere, somewhen,
I did... really.

I remember
...
wish I didn't - remember.

Maybe tomorrow -
yeah, maybe tomorrow
that'll be gone too
.

Chris

© 2019 Chris


Author's Note

Chris
Say as you will - feel free

I added THIS after posting... sometimes I really just want to speak and wish this had a realtime component so a conversation could flow... sigh

"Teddy Bear" is not about shame or embarrasment or making a person feel bad or less than they were in any way... Its about being aware of BOTH sides of the human coin and our humanity. Its about having and knowing neighbors, not judging appearances.

We need to take off the 'blinders' and SEE the world we live within. Maybe then the anger we have because of all the fear we hide inside will lessen. People don't want pity and we all KNOW there IS no FREE Lunch... but - we all had a "Teddy Bear" (of sorts) when we were little - ya know? It helps if we remember that.

Chris

Returned to for the memory of its thought.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I saw this from the start Chris. Having worked in mental health all of my career I met lords, ladies, pop stars, bankers and tramps and some of the aforementioned had become vagrants. I once met a very well mannered man of the road when I and a girlfriend were in a pub in Oxford enjoying a drink and awaiting sunday lunch. He left before I realised he was a man of the road and so I followed him and found him on the canal bank in the sun making instant coffee (with water the pub staff had given him) and a 'pot noodle'. I offered to buy him lunch but he smiled and said he was happy with his fare. He was on his way up to Scotland for the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. We do tend to walk past the homeless and pretend they atre not there. So good call.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Chris

4 Years Ago

In today's world Mental and drug issues are much less the issue of just homelessness ...most are pay.. read more
Those thrown away people are everywhere. They are on so many street corners, down so many alleys and begging outside retail units. The reasons are complex and all of us could by circumstance find ourselves in that situation. It beggars belief that with the amount of wealth swirling around, that governments haven't done more to solve this problem. In a civilised society everybody at least deserves a roof over their heads. And don't get me on to the subject of veterans or I will truly blow a gasket. Your poem is so moving, it touched my spirit this afternoon. Thank you for highlighting the problem of the less fortunate.


Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


Chris

4 Years Ago

We've always time to remember ...what we choose to. Hi Chris.
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Hi Chris, it's not just remembering, it's action that needs to take place.
' breathe, - look closer - am cold, - move again. -
Hates shadows, - lives in shadows, - is a shadow...
I can see, I can... - all the eyes that look away, '

Little or nothing alters, does it, dear Chris. This remains one of the most real, the most moving poems I've ever read in the cafe. You looked with your heart at the disgrace of life pon so many. Whether they're mentally sick or empty of cash and vision... or all, your picture is as near complete as it can be. Tears and the unfolding and folding of sad hands don't make such happenings disappear, nor solve the sadness or cure the wretchedness. You've spoken in a gentle empathic manner that outcalls bureaucracy and those who beat their chests and do damn all. Brilliantly tragic words, superbly laid.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Chris

4 Years Ago

Is morning here Em... a coffee pause comes with a price.
Chris, so much raw truth in your poem. During my last business trip to Washington, DC, I saw a man (homeless, I’m sure) unzip his fly and urinate on a shrub as adults and children walked and stood, many taking photographs of historical landmarks. Since I was a federal law enforcement officer I should’ve confronted him. Instead, I kept walking, thinking about the contrast in images. How did he get there? Was he once one of those visitors, a businessman or a vet who looked up to American ideals? I’m ashamed I did nothing. Maybe I should’ve offered him my five-dollar Starbucks coffee or the croissant in my hand.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Chris

4 Years Ago

The scent of life ...overwhelms. And death is NOT the great deodorizer unless you're on the wrong s.. read more
I worked for years with people experiencing homelessness...living on the streets, under bridges, fighting the criminalization of a society that only sees that which makes it feel uncomfortable...never seeing the discomfort of the one...the person...the soul. Spoke to me. Comfort...teddy bear...beautiful and filled with longing..to just be.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Powerful piece... it speaks of mental illness, social responsibility, the chaos of daily life, etc. You did an awesome job touching both sides of the coin... we can't point the finger at an issue we inadvertently create by ignoring it. I hope our level of awareness does extend beyond our own pockets or bank accounts one day, maybe then, we will learn to lift those up in need. Great piece!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Chris

5 Years Ago

Mental illnesses have DAILY definitions - usually given by someone else based on THEIR own perceptio.. read more
Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

5 Years Ago

Absolutely... please do.
Beautiful work Chris. As always I am moved by your insight and the detail in your imagery. Content gripping. Well done. Be well Chris.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Chris

5 Years Ago

It's been awhile Rene ...I hope we see more of each other.
Rene Velez

5 Years Ago

We will, my friend.
Thanks Chris! You as light bulb and bear as bear I see a friend in a near by land that is as bright as me. If you turn my light out I will see what I can see.

regards,
al

Posted 5 Years Ago


Chris

5 Years Ago

Any time Al, any time at all... laters...
This reminds me of the story of corduroy but in human space..if that makes any sense. I love all the thought processes you 've shared within. A gem!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Chris

5 Years Ago

"Life as we live it..."
I think anger is easier for people to feel. If they resent and judge they don't have to peek into the underneath. They can just be superior to... however the solutions offered up are often simplistic in nature... if it were as easy as "getting a job" and "getting clean" it wouldn't be an issue

Posted 5 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1399 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on July 7, 2011
Last Updated on April 26, 2019
Tags: Poetry, Writing, CHris

Author

Chris
Chris

Lansing, MI



About
"Life is a terminal disease." All the doctors have basically told me so. "Life is an adventure... Pain, well you deal. Thanks for being here. 06/21/2020 I'm back and working on. I've been.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


"Rant..."  Poem "Rant..." Poem

A Poem by Chris


Kisses Kisses

A Poem by Robin