"Daddy Jack..."

"Daddy Jack..."

A Poem by Chris
"

Tomorrow' in the USA is "Father's Day" - 2012

"

I never met or even saw a single picture of my dad.  From the fourth grade on of course the other guys noticed that my sisters and I each had different last names and that neither matched our then current home mailing address.  Yes, there was a price we paid for that - even in a Catholic Parish's Grade School.

Jack was my next sister's dad.  How impressive is a person that I remember him today - so many years having passed.  I went to see him once several years after I joined the Marine Corp.  We were actually on the same side of the country AND within the same state!  He had a family and while they accepted me - well, too many years had passed without knowing and I hadn't yet learned how to forgive him for leaving me behind - I was four.  

 

"Daddy Jack..."

I remember -
  being held
  being teased
  your smile
  your words
...

I remember -
  your voice
  your eyes
  your favorite things
  the little things...

I remember -

  the car

  the rides

  airborne after you passed over the bump

  "WHEEE THRILL!!"  said over and over

  - each planned time.

I remember -
  being at the fence -

  watching, crying
  reaching and reaching

  hurting so very bad

  you LEFT me...
 
I remember -
  empty sunsets
  silent rooms...
  you...
  and that you weren't mine
  afterall
...still.

Chris

© 2012 Chris


Author's Note

Chris
Feel Free

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great poem. It's like snap shots

Posted 11 Years Ago


Chris

11 Years Ago

That's what life is... snap shots. Thanks for pausing. Stop by anytime man, you're always welcome.
Very emotional and heartbreaking and well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Chris

11 Years Ago

Its whom we are ...inside.
oh, chris . . .

Posted 11 Years Ago


Chris

11 Years Ago

Life as we live it...
Emily B

11 Years Ago

others would do bad things and blame the life they lived
Chris

11 Years Ago

fewer than you might think actually...
I don't remember being LEFT .. but now I know, I was .. Left out, and passed by, given away, for other smiles that mattered more .. .. And then came Dad .. not by blood, or by accident ... but from Love alone, I was chosen to be .. His daughter ..

Tears fell when I first read this .. And I did write a comment , but later came back and deleted it .. ..So many emotions expressed , and rememberings, in a single write ..
Thanks Chris, for sharing ..You ...

J.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Chris

11 Years Ago

We've many rememberings throughout our lives... takes many, many inches to walk a mile in our shoes.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Wow, this is very emotional. This reminds me of my best friend, who had just met his father recently. I am happy that you are able to use poetry as a sense of escape, instead of other means. I have much respect for you, sir. Great job :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Chris

11 Years Ago

Cord, its just Chris... sir is an old man setting wasting away in the sun - chuckling here. I'm gla.. read more
Quite a touching piece...so many of us can relate....you can feel the emotion in it..wonderful poem

Posted 11 Years Ago


Chris

11 Years Ago

Thanks for pausing, hope to see you again.
I know you always express your heart in your works, but if this is -your- story, I am truly touched by your willingness to share something that cut so deep and scarred. It brings to the surface my own story and the pain that is still there even though the scar is old. I don't think I'd be brave enough to post that for all the world to see. Write on, my friend. Let us heal and travel forward...

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is really emotional, Chris. And I can relate. Though I never actually knew my dad, I think I can feel some of the things you do. You have memories, the thoughts and feelings any person feels for their father. I never even had that. I know what you mean by "you LEFT me" and "...you weren't mine afterall". :/ Still really good write, though.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I can relate to this, my first husband a bio father who wasnt worth a dime, Somerista s words, then we have the father, whos worth his weight in gold, and "chose to stick around" in my daughter words. They know nothing of the hurt, the child so fragile, broken even! left behind. They chose not to glance back it was easier that way for them anyway. It takes many years to mend the broken hearts. Thank you. Your poem has inspired me....... wonderful write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Chris..you certainly have a way with words and form....and yes, style.
Heartwarming, touching memories for sure...but it's the unique way you arrive that makes you different and sooooo very interesting. I read you more than comment, because with some of your writing, I don't know where to start. They, as this, are always so intertwined with prose and poetry, I feel like I should be writing 5 reviews.
This write, as you know, truly hits home with me and even though "Daddy Jack" left under different circumstances than "Daddy Bernie"...Their loss left the same gaping hole.
Thanks for sharing these heartfelt, emotional memories.
Sad but true...
allen

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

938 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 17, 2012
Last Updated on June 17, 2012
Tags: Poetry, Writing, CHris

Author

Chris
Chris

Lansing, MI



About
"Life is a terminal disease." All the doctors have basically told me so. "Life is an adventure... Pain, well you deal. Thanks for being here. 06/21/2020 I'm back and working on. I've been.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Kisses Kisses

A Poem by Robin


Old Old

A Poem by Muse