WHAT THE PARROT SAW

WHAT THE PARROT SAW

A Story by Stan Lee
"

*Contains Swearing*

"

"F**k" said the parrot. 


It has learned a new word. The parrot is sitting on top of a refrigerator dancing from one foot to the other and cocking it's head to survey the scene below. It is a small unremarkable kitchen in normal circumstances but now there is a melee of tipped up furniture, broken crockery and a body lying spreadeagled on the linoleum floor. The stench of alcohol is thick in the air. The fridge hums peacefully as though nothing is wrong.


The parrot ruffles it's feathers and watches as the body slowly untangles and sits up.


"I hate you, you filthy bird".


The parrot remains silent, it's beady eyes fixed on the man as he staggers to his feet.


"They say I'm dangerous when I'm drunk." The man lets out a cracked laugh. " You should've stayed in your cage. I hate you. I've always hated you and now I'm going to kill you. She loves you filthy bird. She'll leave me for good this time but I don't care  anymore."


Then there is a knife in his hand. He weaves his way unsteadily across the kitchen slipping on broken glass and tripping on an empty bird cage.  He falls again making such a racket that the parrot shrieks and swoops to the windowsill on the far side of kitchen.


The man stumbles to his feet again, knife raised at shoulder height. The parrot screams and glass smashes. The man topples forward from the momentum of his throw. Face first into the shrapnel of his battle. He stays down.


"F**k" said the parrot and it hopped carefully out of the broken window and flew away into the open sky.

 

© 2015 Stan Lee


Author's Note

Stan Lee
ANY feedback is appreciated!! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a beautiful way to start a story. F**k. So good. So poetic. But seriously, I laughed when I read that first line. That line alone could almost be a standalone story.

I like the f*****g full-circle ending (see what I did there?). It starts with the parrot calmly taking in its surroundings. It ends with the parrot taking to the sky. Peaceful in a way. And boy, is that parrot awesome. It kicked that guy's sorry butt without ever even touching him! It's bloody terrible (see what I did ~there~?) that guy had to die, but I didn't feel particularly sorry for him.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Stan Lee

6 Years Ago

Clifford! This review made me laugh. :) I agree with you about the first line. I came up with the fi.. read more
Wow your voice is so easy and refreshing to read.

I enjoy the darkness of your humor with this. I could envision the whole scene and even though I kind of saw it coming, I enjoyed watching the man get what he deserved.

Nice little piece!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks a lot for your kind review Octavia. I'm glad you like it. Sadly, my voice seems to have gone .. read more
I like how you structure the story - a peaceful start, a peaceful end. And the man is lying on the floor. This is a perfect cycle of how things start, and how things end. I really want to laugh at the man - why making such a big fuss on a bird! Even his relationship does not work out time will at last return everything to peace. Then the bird tells the other side of the story. The story begins with a curious "f**k", then ends with a grumpy "f**k", and then you will move on.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and for your interesting review :)
Octavia

7 Years Ago

Ugh, that's tough.

Music or reading/watching other stories are usually what inspire.. read more
I really dig this story. Its interesting how you make the reader root for the animal and in turn by having something terrible happen to the man. Just goes to show that even in a battle between parrot and man, man doesn't always win. Good stuff!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your review Neal. Glad you found it interesting. :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
This could also be called, "What the parrot SAID".

The expletive draws the reader into your story and makes them wonder just what did the parrot see for him to let cry with an expletive. Like a great writer once said, the opening of a story should make the reader sit up and get involved with the words on the page, be captivated and want to read more. You have achieved that here, even if the story is brief.
Nice writing, Andronicus. You left a lot to the imagination.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

True, true, true Doodley doo.
Thank you very much for your read and review.
(See wha.. read more
.

7 Years Ago

Nice rhyme! And the profile picture is actually a 3D representation of quantum theory in action....... read more
I love the first sentence! That's what really drew me in honestly. So great. Go parrot, be free!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks very much for dropping by to read and review. :) I think I should start all my stories off wi.. read more
I love how the details tell as much (If not more) of the story than the actions.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks a lot. Glad you liked it Reyna. :)
This is just great. I was seeing everything you described in your story. I could not stop reading and before I knew it I was to the end. However, I was not disappointed it was a great ending.

Well done.

A 100 points from me for sure.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks very much for reading and reviewing my story. I really appreciate your kind feedback. Very ha.. read more
Oh my gosh I love the imagery in this. "F**k," said the parrot. That's such a perfect opening line! Ah. Great job on this. 100 from me. You really have a gift with words, and such amazing imagination.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks so much for your kind review Dante! :) Means a lot. This is one of my older ones from back wh.. read more
Not here

7 Years Ago

I know :) I agree
A tad dark but I love it the only issue is the spacing dear work on that

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Do you mean indent or enter?
Raylene

7 Years Ago

Indent dear
Raylene

7 Years Ago

Sorry? It's nothing personal

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1243 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 29, 2015
Last Updated on September 21, 2015

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sparks Sparks

A Poem by Firebird