My Friend Benji

My Friend Benji

A Story by Stan Lee

I crouched awkwardly on the grass in my best suit and tried to smile for Benji.


He liked it when I smiled. I could tell that by the way he wagged his tail and gazed up at me with those soft loving eyes. Those eyes that loved me even when I had no time to play, that greeted me when I came home from work and that sparkled with fun.


I leaned down and stroked the rough brown fur on Benji’s back and fondled his soft silky ears. His eyes were closed. With a deep shuddering sigh I closed the lid on his cardboard box coffin.  


My Benji was gone.

© 2015 Stan Lee


Author's Note

Stan Lee
Appreciate any feedback :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh. . . I was not prepared for that ending. I had a smile on my face the whole way through, then at the ending my heart suddenly snapped in two. In hindsight, the descriptions make a lot of sense. The narrator is wearing a suit because of the dog's funeral (right?), and the second paragraph is the narrator feeling guilty about not being a better owner for the dog.

This story relates to me on a very personal level. It's bringing up all kinds of memories and making me emotional. Signs of a great story.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I know how bad you feel when you lose your pet...Beautifully carved the emotions...Great work..Keep it up....

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks Riddhi. Glad you like it. Thanks for reviewing.
Riddhi

8 Years Ago

Welcome...and Happy New Year....
Naww this is heart wrenching :( I love dogs, they are so loyal no matter what, same with cats. Is Benji real by the way?

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reviewing Crystal. I hope that anyone who has lost a pet would be able to relate somewhat.. read more
KittyKatgirl

8 Years Ago

I can relate. I've had a few cats that have died and each of them I loved so much. They were amazing.. read more
It's never good to lose our pets. They're our family aren't they? Great piece Andronicus! You really have a knack for writing twists.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks captain! I'm glad you liked my attempt at a plot twist. :) Thank you for your review.
Beautifully filled with emotions.
Didn't want the poor Benji to die, broke my heart.
Although, I am happy that its not your true story but it must be happening with someone, somewhere around this world.
Great write!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

You're right Jyoti. These things do happen. Sad but true. Thanks for reading and reviewing. :)
Jyoti_Ablaze

8 Years Ago

You are welcome.
Aww, what a shame, but a beautiful write once again. Poor Benji.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Came from a plot twist generator 'a main character is dead'. So don't feel too downcast. It's not ba.. read more
alifeacoustic

8 Years Ago

You're very welcome.
Did NOT see that coming. This should come with a warning label and a reminder to spend more time with your dog. You win this time, feels!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Great... at least I scored on the plot twist if not on the happy ending! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 1, 2015
Last Updated on June 1, 2015

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sex Kills. Sex Kills.

A Story by Woody


Understanding Understanding

A Story by Stan Lee