GREEN JELLY

GREEN JELLY

A Story by Stan Lee
"

...............

"

GREEN JELLY

 

"He was killed by vanity."

Fran's eyebrows shot up. "Really?!"

Thelma nodded conspiratorially, all four of her wrinkled chins nodding in unison.  

Fran shook her head slowly and smoothed her floral dress over her lap with gnarled hands. "He never struck me as the arrogant type," she mused, as her eyes wandered around the rec hall.

Dressed in a plain grey suit, Thelma's eyes didn't wander. She'd been here long enough to know that, to her left was a large wooden cross and to her right, past the cafeteria, was bright purple sign loudly reminding all who happened to glance up, that they were in the Archvale Home of Rest for the Aged.

She leaned forward with a twinkle in her eye. "There, there," she said, patting her friend on her hand. "Death comes to everyone sooner or later. That's one thing you'll learn being here."

Fran sighed and turned back to Thelma. "We've been friends for many years. I don't suppose you've forgotten how close I was to him back then?"

Thelma snorted. "I'm not that far gone dear."

"Mhhmm," Fran nodded thoughtfully. "I didn't think you'd have forgotten. How long did we work with him again?"

"I think it was six years," Thelma replied.

"We had some good times."

Thelma nodded. "What ended up happening between you two?"

"Bernice is what happened. Right after you and I were made redundant."

"Booby Bernice?"

Fran chuckled. "Yes, booby Bernice. Never seen such a bouncy woman in my life. Bounced all the way to the top of that office. Bounced into his heart too. Oh well, I never said anything. Figured he was happy enough with her. Booby had money, status, bounce... everything a guy wants I guess. So, that was that."

"Still," said Thelma, "I'm surprised you hadn't heard about his death."

"Why's that?"

"Well, you know, dying on a construction site, there were some fairly serious investigations."

"He was killed by vanity on a construction site??!!"

Thelma stopped and stared at her friend. "A vanity," she repeated. "They were putting in the bathrooms on the second floor. Somehow it fell and.... "

The two friends looked at each other in wide eyed surprise.

"I think I need to turn my hearing aid up," Fran managed to splutter.

Thelma tried in vain to disguise a snort of laughter as a cough.

A giggle escaped from Fran.

Next thing the two of them were howling and snorting, rocking back and forward with laughter.

A nurse bustled over. "Great to see you two enjoying yourselves." Her expression said the opposite. "You'd better have a drink of water."

Thelma kept giggling as she drank. Water spilled all down her front.

"The others are having green jelly," said the nurse. "Would you like some?"

Thelma nodded enthusiastically, spilling more water.

****

The two friends sat, lost in thought. The only sound between them was the sound of false teeth masticating on green jelly.

 

 

 

 

© 2016 Stan Lee


Author's Note

Stan Lee
Appreciate ANY feedback! :)


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Lolol. Great wordplay. This kind of writing takes skills...you got those in plenty. Wonderfully written!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Stan Lee

6 Years Ago

Thanks Zoe! :)
Zoya

6 Years Ago

My pleasure :)
This is probably my favorite story of yours I've ever read! And that's saying a lot. It's been five minutes since I read that last line, and I'm still laughing. I love how realistic and human these characters are. I can perfectly picture their facial expressions at the hearing aid moment, and Thelma not being able to drink water due to laughing is hilarious. And Booby Bernice?! I think everyone knows someone just like Booby Bernice. Also, I give you bonus points for using the word "masticating". I was beginning to think I was the only person who knew that word! Seriously, this story is amazing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Stan Lee

6 Years Ago

Clifford, you're the kindest! Thank you so much for your generous review. :) I'm so glad that you ca.. read more
Ahh, so you do know how hard it is to follow a conversation with my Mum then? :)
Love it...Not the jelly,because I refuse to eat anything that still moves when it's on the plate, but the story is awesome :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Yes, I think you've told me that before. :) I'm glad you liked the story nonetheless. Thanks for rea.. read more
Lorry

7 Years Ago

You're welcome :)
this is quite a story, i absolutely love how you slowly describe the people, but in teh description you keep it interesting! very well written!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your review Nin :) I love your alias. Nin_com_soup. lol. That's clever. I'm glad you .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Hahaha. This is a delight!

Congrats on this one! Very well written and very humourous! What a killer punch line! I chuckled at that one. Your setting and characters are very realistic and easy to imagine. The story and dialogue flows very well from beginning to end and it reads very fluently. And Booby Bernice!? Haha! A fantastic name for a character! I truly imagined her bouncing around that retirement home!
A great little story! Your best that i have read so far! Well Done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Doooooooooooodley! Thank you so, so very much! What a kind review. :) I'm happy that you liked it an.. read more
Have you read, "Hills Like White Elephant," that's what this reminds me of. Good characterization, and tangible story all told with very little exposition.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

No, I haven't. But I just googled it (and realise that is high praise) & am about to read it. So tha.. read more
Very imaginative, with good dialogue, realistic to the scenario of two old people discussing this topic. I like the way you show us the setting, quickly revealing many integral aspects of your story (such as the age of the characters, etc.) The twist (misunderstanding "vanity") is well done & funny & an original idea.

I am a little torn between these two opposing forces: (1) your depiction of old people is stark & a little funny . . . yet (2) it has a tiny touch of mockery (of old people) overall . . . and I'm not clear on what the green jelly represents. Otherwise, your writing & storytelling is clear & strong.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your encouraging review barleygirl. I'm very happy that you found it funny. .. read more
Elaborate wordplay and great imagery great work

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks Raylene. :)
How did I miss this one? I love the humor and rich language. Enjoyable start to slightly gross finish!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and reviewing S.Mi. Glad you enjoyed it.
I think the finish is slightly g.. read more
Shannon

7 Years Ago

The words you choose are delightfully gross as well!
Thelma nodded conspiratorially, all four of her wrinkled chins nodding in unison.
This whole story made me laugh! Great job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

I'm glad you laughed. Thanks for reading and reviewing. I'll get to reading yours soon. :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1151 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 15, 2016
Last Updated on May 8, 2016

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Black Beauty Black Beauty

A Story by Woody