Homing Pigeons

Homing Pigeons

A Story by Stan Lee
"

Short story

"

Click, click, click.


I unlock the wire cages and a flather of white pours noisily upward. Turning my face, I watch as the pigeons wheel about, quickly finding their sense of direction before heading off in a beeline for home. 


As they disappear over the treetops, I exhale loudly.  Free as a bird? That's always been a tainted cliche for me. There are so many who aren't, I think to myself.


This is their ninth flight for the year. Nine has always been my lucky number. Speaking of nine, it's about time for a cuppa. I collect my thermos from the car and sit at a cement picnic table under a sweet smelling gumtree. All I can hear is the buzz of cicadas. Nobody for miles. I could probably sit here for a good half hour before a car or truck hurtled by along the road.


I sip my tea slowly, in no hurry to leave. Closing my eyes I bask in the warm summer air, thinking how glad I am that I'll never see those pigeons again. Not that I have anything against them except that they belong to my husband. He's at home "waiting for them to arrive". Unfortunately I know who else is there "waiting" with him. Nope, change the subject Carrie. Focus on the journey ahead.


I think about my suitcase in the car and mentally recalculate how long it's going to take to get to Darwin. I'm going to be driving in the opposite direction that the birds are flying.  Makes me a bit of a homing pigeon too I guess. Darwin's where my mum is. But I swear, this time nobody's going to take me away in a cage.


Downing the last drops of tea, I screw the lid back on the thermos tightly, angry that my hands are suddenly shaking. I take nine deep breathes, then  stand up and head to the car.


I'm ready to leave. It's time for this bird to fly.

© 2016 Stan Lee


Author's Note

Stan Lee
It's been nearly two months since I posted anything.
Writers block has been eating me up for breakfast!

As always I appreciate any constructive feedback. :) Thanks y'all for reading!


PS. I made up the word 'flather' is there any real word that means what I'm thinking? Does anyone know?

PPS. Thank my American friends for the fact that I now say y'all in my notes section. :D lol

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Another reviewer mentioned about the world you created in that small piece of writing. How very apt. Some of us spend thousands of words trying to give meaning and depth to our worlds. You did it. Keep up the good work. There is nothing wrong with having writer's block. Acknowledge it, and seek for practical ways to lessen its impact.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Stan Lee

6 Years Ago

Thanks for your constructive comments Stephen. It could also be something to do with laziness though.. read more
I enjoyed this piece thanks for sharing your talents.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Stan Lee

6 Years Ago

Thanks for your comment Roxane :)
This is a bitter sweet read on the "coming to a closure" and "beginning a new chapter" in one's life. I enjoy reading the usage of juxtapositions in writings and this story laid out a candid image of that with Carrie and the pigeons contrasting each other's flight.
I also like the number 9 usage to symbolize the amount of time or space in which the protagonist may have experienced in her relationship as well as setting a time frame of her own departure.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your review Raven. I'm glad you liked this one. I appreciate you taking the time to re.. read more
Hey again! Welcome back from the winter break (and escaping from writer's block)!

I like how you condense a story of thousands of words into hundreds. It seems to be a common feature of your stories! By the way, is the choice of "nine" on purpose so that including the last bird, it makes up to "ten"?

Speaking of the word "flather", I guess an average substitution would be "flock", though I personally prefer "splash". I find "splash" intriguing because it has a mysterious connection with the idea of "not able to take it back", and also with splashing paint out of a bucket.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your insightful review Wolf. I'm glad you liked my story. Good pick up on the number n.. read more
Enjoyed the read. Well done and thank you :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks Troy :)
You once again put a whole world into a page of writing. I can see this woman's whole life in just these simple details. The repetition of the number nine and the motif of the caged bird just add a whole level of mastery to this piece. I love it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks so much for your kind review Octavia. Glad you could see the whole story between the lines. Y.. read more
Nice write. Easy to read. Kept me to the end. Tyfs.



Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and reviewing :)
reading between the lines, I can see a whole lot longer story full of woe. you've done it again, Andrea.
great last line.
I think you're entitled to coin your own new words. when great writers come up with new fancy words, readers shake their heads and go WOW! give it time and 'flather' will find its way into the Oxford dictionary.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

How woeful :) It has a positive ending though. Glad you liked the last line. I actually started with.. read more
Ha....I love this twisty tale, It was not what I was expecting at all, sort of should have been as I write in a similar way I suppose. I hate the word Bravo...but.....BRAVO!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks a lot Dr! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :)
I too have always had trouble with that saying. Even the ones that are 'free' are usually tied to a hemisphere by weather, to a country by mating habits, to an area by knowledge - unable to fly at night out of fear of safety or in the day if nocturnal.
Then the have to fight for every scrap of their existence and are prone to attacks by not only birds of prey but those in the vicinity (nest raids to eat eggs are very very common).
Then they are tied to mating by the urges of procreating and then tied to the nest or to a partner for life.
No, I think 'free as a bird' needs qualified big-time.

Love the word invention - totally thought that 'flather' was a real word.
Totally thought-provoking Andronicus.
:)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Ugh, how tiresome are the urges of procreating right! Haha. :) Thanks for your interesting comments .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1016 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 20, 2016
Last Updated on November 20, 2016

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


THE STORM THE STORM

A Poem by M. L. F.