Tides of Life and Death

Tides of Life and Death

A Story by AndyJCash
"

Written for Honourfish's contest of imagery.

"

Weather reports had suggested a thunderstorm was on its way, but all that hung in the sky was a slight overcast. Only the strongest of the sun’s beams sliced through the grey clouds: little glimpses of light reached his blackened eyes like rays of hope from Heaven. Yet it wasn’t to the sky, to the Heavens, where he was looking to.

The sea before him was warm and the waves splashed around his waist, spraying his face. The droplets of water were salty, reminding him of bitter tears rolling down his weathered cheeks. He held his breath and forced his head under the water. His eyes prickled and stung. Gravity kept his head down as the waves crashed against his skull, bashing again and again.

Returning to the surface, a chill bit his face. The wind was followed shortly by an ominous shadow as the sun retracted behind the grey curtain above. He pulled his wet clothes away from his body, shivering in the water. Alone and cold: it was how he had imagined it.

There was nothing to look back on with great joy. The pebbles on the beach behind had been jagged and sharp as a blade, puncturing the soft and tender soles of his feet. Blood shimmered off the stones: his only mark on the world, the only marks on his body. Yes, there was nothing to look back on except pain.

His foot wounds bled out ferociously. The movement of the current stretched the skin left and right meaning he was slowly becoming surrounded with diluted scarlet. It swirled and circled around him like a shark going in for the kill on its weakened prey. He was dizzy and felt a lurch in his stomach. He thought he was going to vomit.

His body cramped and buckled and his head fell underwater again. Liquids and lumps rushed up his throat and he opened on his mouth. He inhaled through his mouth, choking on the mixture of salt water and bile. He coughed and spluttered and puked. Chunks of yellow and green floated around him and became stuck to his face like pieces of a woman’s insides on a baby after birth.

As he tried to breathe, there was lightness in his chest, almost angelic and perfect. It was like taking his first breath of life. He felt reborn, pale and weak. When he exhaled, the feeling escaped through his nose and a shudder travelled down his spine. A mild wave brushed his thin frame and knocked him down once more. Water forced its way through his nostrils leaving his throat raw, burning and sore. He became disorientated and lost control of his limbs. Without choice he was gently pushed onto his back and the world through his eyes became disjointed and rippled.

Through the clouds a light appeared, blinding his white pupils. The voices of 30 choir boys rang in his water clogged ears, reminding him of his youth at the church. It was peaceful. The pain was numbed. He was terribly cold. Then the world went black for the last time.

© 2011 AndyJCash


Author's Note

AndyJCash
I couldn't get into this piece to be honest, but I did the best with what I could. Probably won't be writing about a topic like this again for a while XD

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

you should not force your self writing something that does not interest you because it will just lead you to including things that does not have anything to do with your topic...but sometimes experimenting in trying other topics can also help you in developing your writing skill..its up to you.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love the imagery in this, it's so vivid, especially towards the end, it makes you feel uncomfortable, like you are the character, love it!

Posted 12 Years Ago


very dark and graphic piece! I can't say i can relate to the man but can say i felt like he had lost his will to live and the vividness of his carelessness was portrayed very well. It was cringe-worthy at times and a very good read.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 25, 2011
Last Updated on May 25, 2011

Author

AndyJCash
AndyJCash

United Kingdom



About
18 year old who is still experimenting as a writer. I prefer writing fiction, especially fantasy fiction, but do try my hand at poems and short stories of other genres. Away from writing, I play footb.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by AndyJCash