Nature Calls

Nature Calls

A Story by AndyJCash

Sunday mornings are meant for sleeping, for rest. That is what the Lord says. Yet I find of late that I am haunted in my subconscious by the abstracts of the world: fear, sorrow and anxiety. I am not one of melancholy, but I am also not one that can find peace with myself in this warm season.

            So, rather than sleep, I walk. I rise early amongst the tiny birds who serenade the morning with their high-pitch chirps. My head may be light and my eye sockets aching, but I find the will to dress myself, feed myself and wearily groom myself so I am presentable to the world.

            Yet who is it that sees me? On a Sunday, everyone is resting. There is movement around me; in the bushes are the cats who stalked the night, on the roads I see cars pass me effortlessly and on the pavements that I walk are walkers and joggers and runners who may or may not walk and jog and run for the same reasons I do.

            I leave the concrete jungle that supplies warmth and sustainability to the families that reside and I enter the forest. The drizzling rain that rat-ta-tapped against my window in the night has formed a soggy layer on the undergrowth. As my feet splatters in the wet mud the strong, putrid smell of the wet landscape repulses my nostrils and for just a moment a vile taste settles on my tongue. As I move on, it passes.

            By this time I feel fresh and at one with nature, something that is hard to find in this ever changing world. I can appreciate the canopy that shrouds me from the sky, high above the treetops. Despite their horrid exterior, I find the charm in the appearance of the black slugs that scour the dirt for nutrition. Even the dog faeces I have to be careful not to step in jovially remind me that life is a circle and not a line. Regardless of this, the best of my venture is still to come.

            On the divide where the trees begin and the trees end, the canopy is peeled away like a banana skin and the sky is revealed. Goldenrod, scarlet, ruby, amaranth, pink, ceil, blue: a transformation from the sun outwards that oversees the crisp clover coloured fields. Glorious can only dent what is inexplicably beautiful otherwise.

            Upon these fields, under that sky, I lose myself and suddenly my subconscious can’t touch me. The worries and woes of the world don’t constrict my stomach for I am mesmerised.

From then on I walk and it is not until I return to my home, my haven, that the problems of our technologically advancing world stain my mind.

© 2011 AndyJCash


Author's Note

AndyJCash
I needed an outlet from the revision stress, so wrote something filled with description. Enjoy :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

And enjoy I did! I love the way you are able to describe in such detail without losing the reader's interst. :) Great write!:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was very well done. Glad I decided to read it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Brilliantly thought out love...the tecnological world stains the mind to a degree...its important to dwell in the land of so called reality also lol
Great work
xx

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

354 Views
4 Reviews
Added on June 19, 2011
Last Updated on July 6, 2011
Tags: Nature, Walking, Technology

Author

AndyJCash
AndyJCash

United Kingdom



About
18 year old who is still experimenting as a writer. I prefer writing fiction, especially fantasy fiction, but do try my hand at poems and short stories of other genres. Away from writing, I play footb.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by AndyJCash