The power of kindness and respect

The power of kindness and respect

A Poem by Angel Bird
"

Published this for the first time in september 2006

"

 

The power of kindness and respect!

 

 

There is hunger for ordinary bread and there is hunger for love, for kindness, for thoughtfulness, and this is the great poverty that makes people suffer so much! -Mother Teresa

 

Sadly there is so much truth in these words. Shouldn't kindness and respect for oneanother be the elementary basics of humanity?

Why does it seem to be so difficult for many persons to put a smile on their face when they look at someone instead of a stern and cold look?

Does it really take so much more effort to say a kind word instead of a mean one?

Apparently it seems to be easier to some to put obstacles in the way of their opponents instead of offering a helping hand what could bring them to do the same back.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment or the smallest act of caring - which all of them have the potential to make someone happy or to lighten up someone's day.

I'm convinced that many horrible wars could have been and would be prevented if the leaders of countries, of religions, of groups, and so on would in the first place try to understand their opponents and their motivations and treat each other with kindness and respect instead of defying them immediately only to demonstrate with pride their power and rigidity. There would be for sure less violence and hatred in this world.

Countries the same as people all over the globe could solve so many problems together and even complete each other. Life could be much easier for all of us and this world would be a better place to be.

 

If we want to change the world - we have to begin within ourselves!

 

Respect for ourselves guides our morals - respect for others guides our manners. -Laurence Sterne

 

How often do we hear on the radio or on TV

- ... an other random act of senseless violence ...

wouldn't it sound much better

- ... an other random act of senseless kindness ..

 

One day, Gandhi was running to get on a train, for there back then the train never stopped for the poor, and as he jumped up, his shoe slipped off his foot. Though he tried to grab it, he ended up watching helplessly as it fell to the tracks. Quickly, he grabbed the other one off his foot and threw it back down the tracks towards the first rapidly disappearing shoe.

People who saw this thought perhaps Gandhi had taken leave of his senses. His response to their mystified expressions was: "At least now if a poor person finds his way across my shoe he will soon come across its mate and end up with a good pair of shoes. (For most Indians back then a pair of good shoes was equivalent to a month's salary...)

 

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness - it usually comes back to you!

 

Kind words do not much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal

 

Never look down on anybody - unless you're helping him up. -Jesse Jackson

 

It is never too late to start being kind and respectful, this little effort is never wasted. Please try to be kind and respectful to everyone you'll meet on your way through life - you'll certainly feel the happiness and warmth which will come back to you without a doubt. Be a good example for your kids as they always imitate their parents they will become kind and respectful adults that way.

 

During my second year of nursing school our professor gave us a quiz. I breezed through the questions until I read the last one: "What is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?" Surely this was a joke. I had seen the cleaning woman several times, but how would I know her name? I handed in my paper, leaving the last question blank Before the class ended, one student asked if the last question would count toward our grade. "Absolutely", the professor said "In your careers, you will meet many people. All are significant. They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do is smile and say hello". I've never forgotten that lesson. I also learned her name was Dorothy. -Joann C.Jones

 

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. -Buddha

 



© 2010 Angel Bird


Author's Note

Angel Bird
What is your opinion to this topic. We could make a discussion out of it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

In his New Year greeting (2008), UN Assembly President Miguel D’Escoto Brockmann said prosperous countries were responsible for many of the troubles faced by poorer communities.

“All the most serious problems that are right now a source of so much pain to so many people in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, Europe and Oceania are man-made problems,” he said. “And for the most part, caused by those countries that are most developed in terms of material wealth.”

Unfortunately, little has changed in the last three years! It appears if we let our smile be our umbrella; we just end up with a mouth full of acid rain!

Thank you for sharing an antidotal composition of how hope, faith and a belief in humanity can make a difference. I’m on your side friend – come the (peaceful) revolution or should that be revelation?

Phillip

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

What can I say but AMEN!!! If people only knew the damage they can do with just one harsh word or one kind word left unsaid. Do we really have such a lack of compassion and consideration for others? Are we really so arrogant that simple kindness escapes or thoughts and actions? Wonderful thoughts here. Well organized.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is deep! i like it :)


Posted 13 Years Ago


Amen. I loved this with no end. The story about Ghandi was heart warming. I believe that peace is worth the extra energy. I agree with you on the war part.
One of my favorite quote comes from Albert Einstein "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
Wonderful written. Even more so the part about 'senseless acts of kindness'.
I once heard that you should be nice to everyone because you don't know what they're going threw.
Amazing write.
Bravo.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is all very helpful tips on how to tune into oneself and give what we crave, kindness, acceptance and tolerance. Unfortunately it is not easy to act kind when others see it as a weakness or try to drain your kind attention to get something. I applaud your intentions and willingness to give of yourself; I know nursing is not an easy career and it takes someone of mighty strength to keep giving of themselves when others need it the most....when people are in pain; they can't think of other's wants or needs....Happiness never decreases when being shared; this is true but when envy of your happiness slides in; the insecure try to snatch it and prove one of the sadness that lives - its a daily consideration of compassion and investment of energy.

Posted 13 Years Ago


great write, wonderful view and input

Posted 13 Years Ago


inspiring words, I'm glad to read them

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so true I think reading it all

Dalebear

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brilliant write! You quoted 2 of my most favorite people in the world, Ghandi and Mother Teresa. (I loved the story about the shoe).

I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly, especially about smiling.....and you would know being a nurse that it takes less muscles to SMILE as opposed to FROWNING!

Good job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have made me feel much happier, after having read the stories above. It seems to have taken me forever to read this one piece by you...and today happens to be the perfect day for reading it! This was simply fantastic! Share happiness and happiness returns to you. Put it out there...and it comes back...! Angel the Angel!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Really thoughtful examples here and the one quote from Ganhi about the shoe was magnificent. His first thought was not about his own loss but about how his unfortunate incident might be turned around to help another. Selfish chaos bogs us all down and the truthful mathematics of love lifts us up.

Being a nurse, you are surrounded by constant suffering that makes deep scars into your psyche, yet that rough patch of callus, so necessary to perform with professionalism, still needs to feel sensitive to the slightest touch from the soul of one needy person drowning in pain.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1603 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 4, 2010
Last Updated on November 7, 2010
Tags: kindness, respect, power, people, hatred, wars

Author

Angel Bird
Angel Bird

About
---While my pen tries to save the impossible, the truth is seeping through the ink... © 2010 Angel Bird --- No wall however thick will prevent my imaginati.. more..

Writing
So long! So long!

A Story by Angel Bird


Immensity Immensity

A Poem by Angel Bird



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Biting Back Biting Back

A Poem by Bubo