Henrietta Marie

Henrietta Marie

A Poem by Angeline Bandon-Bibum
"

Pleasant childhood memories are interrupted by a disturbing historical vision.

"

In my dream, I am a child, playing on the beach.

The air is warm and humid, as the waves of the Atlantic roll to shore.
Briny and warm, the water feels soothing to my feet, ankles, calves, and knees.
The sun displays its affection for me, turning my skin from cinnamon, to sienna, then to mahogany.
In my pink bathing suit, I rush to greet a frothy wave, as it tumbles gracefully to shore.

Clouds float by, turning the blue sky grey.
On the horizon is a massive ship, of an ancient design, a schooner.
She floats, coming closer and closer to shore.  She captivates me; mouth open, I stare at her.
Christened “Henrietta Marie,” she is a slave ship.  A vessel designed to hold a living human cargo, on wooden shelves, like canned fish.   I recognize her from my history book.
Henrietta Marie floats imperiously, her passengers immersed in agony and humiliation.  
She is gloriously gruesome.

 

Copyright 2006

 

By Angeline Bandon-Bibum

© 2008 Angeline Bandon-Bibum


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A haunting dream or a gruesome scream...Bravo

Posted 10 Years Ago


The dream haunts many people like you wherever slave trade was run by such vessel like Henrietta Marie.
The poem is an epic piece that speaks like a compendium.
Great write.
Congratulations,Angeline!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Angeline Bandon-Bibum

11 Years Ago

Your review is much appreciated.
Thank you!!
zainul

11 Years Ago

You are welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 14, 2008

Author

Angeline Bandon-Bibum
Angeline Bandon-Bibum

Silver Spring, MD



About
Ms. Angeline Bandon-Bibum is a graduate of Howard University who lives and works in Montgomery County, Maryland. She is a poet and author of Sojourner's Dream. Ms. Bandon-Bibum recently appeared at Ka.. more..

Writing