When Your Books Speak To Each Other

When Your Books Speak To Each Other

A Story by Anne
"

Writing Prompt #3 In the middle of the night your books speak to each other. What books are they? What do they say?

"

 

    Like most other nights, I woke up around two in the morning.  Except, this time was different.  I heard noises coming from the living room.  Maybe Cathie, my daughter, couldn’t sleep either and she decided to watch TV.  Quietly shuffling down the hallway, it’s quite apparent the TV is not on and there’s no one in the living room.  ‘Who is talking in there?’, I wondered.

    At the end of the hallway, I peeked around the corner.  There was no one there, just the voices.  They seemed to be coming from the bookshelf.  What are they arguing about?

    “She likes me the best.  Inside my pages are stories of ghosts of the Berkshires.  She loves to read about ghosts, and the Berkshires is one of her favorite places.”

    “Uhh, I don’t think so.  My hardcover binding is a beautiful burgundy with shiny, silver embossing on the cover.  You know how much she loves the look and feel of beautiful books.”

    Yet another book spoke.

    “You both may be right, but I hold so many sentimental memories for her; memories that make her feel warm and safe.”

    I thought I was dreaming.  ‘Is this really happening.  This is so creepy.  Do I go over to the bookshelf to really see for myself?  Or will that make them stop?’

    Pacing back down the hallway a few feet and walking back, I decided I did not want this to stop.  I wondered what books were talking, especially the last one.  ‘What memories does it hold?’ I wondered.

    “But here, listen to this beautiful poem found in the pages between my beautiful binding”:

    Lilies of the Valley: 

             When lilies of the valley bloom,

             Their purity and grace

             Uplift my heart and make the world

             A joyful, lovely place.

             I kneel down softly where they grow

             And listen till I almost hear

             The fair music of their bells

             Chiming soft and clear.” 1  Jane Merchant

    “I know this brings her peace to read something this beautiful.  It makes her stop and think"be mindful.  Besides, her granddaughter’s name is Lilly and it helps her reminisce about all of the wonderful moments she and Lilly shared until she moved here.”

    “You got me there!  As much as she loves the paranormal and adventures that are told on my pages, she is not drawn to me as much as you would think.  She’s only picked me up a few times since I came into her life…But she did pack me in a box and ship me 3,000 miles.  I must mean something to her…I hope?”

    “Yeah, she only looked at me as she unpacked me and put me on the shelf.  She smiled while she perused through my pages, though…she didn’t open the others.”

    But, when she opens my cover and slowly turns the pages, I bring her to her fondest of memories!  Her father used to read me from cover to cover…and laugh to himself over some of the poems on my pages!  When he was really enjoying a poem, he would read it out loud to her and drool, like he does; he’d grabbed his hanky to wipe his chin.  You can’t beat that!”

    I couldn’t help it!  I had to let them know how I felt about them, even though I barely open the pages to really read them.  I slowly walked around the corner into the living room and towards the shelf.

    “Don’t be afraid, don’t stop…I heard you all, and I am sorry you don’t feel important to me.  Trust me, you all are.  I promise to hold you each in my hands and read you and fully embrace the words printed on your pages.

    “Really?” they all replied in disbelief.

    “Yes, Really.  Things are a little calmer here in our new home.  I will make sure to take time for all of you, because you all mean so much to me, for different reasons”.

**The books who spoke: 

1.  Berkshire Ghosts by E. Ashley Rooney

2.  Look to this Day a keepsake of Joyful and inspiring Thoughts Superscript 1

3.  The Poetry of Robert Frost " All eleven of his books"complete.  One of my dad’s favorite poets

© 2017 Anne


Author's Note

Anne
Please feel free to review and critique

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was cool, quirky and such a fun read. I have bookshelves whch consist of about 1000 books, so you can imagine what I was thinking when I read this. I loved the bit when you said about walking aroundthe corner and all the books spoke to you.
This was different and I am a big fan of being different.
Thank you so much for this great, great piece. It really did bring a smile to my face.

Kudos to you.
Highly original. Highly entertaining.
Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anne

7 Years Ago

Thank you!



Reviews

This was cool, quirky and such a fun read. I have bookshelves whch consist of about 1000 books, so you can imagine what I was thinking when I read this. I loved the bit when you said about walking aroundthe corner and all the books spoke to you.
This was different and I am a big fan of being different.
Thank you so much for this great, great piece. It really did bring a smile to my face.

Kudos to you.
Highly original. Highly entertaining.
Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anne

7 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 12, 2017
Last Updated on March 22, 2017
Tags: #writingprompt, #booksspeak, #whoisthere

Author

Anne
Anne

About
Books and Writing have been within my soul for as long as I can remember. Thankful my life has lead me where I have been and where I am going. more..

Writing
The Island The Island

A Story by Anne