The Phone Rang--We Need You--Click

The Phone Rang--We Need You--Click

A Story by Anne
"

WP #6 - What happens when the phone rings and the person on the other end of the phone says 'We need you again." and they hang up.

"

     ‘What a long day at work’, I was thinking as I put my key in the door.  At the same moment I turned the key, I heard the phone ringing.  “Geesh!  What can it be.  I’m not even in the door yet.” I said visibly annoyed.

     A neighbor walking down the hallway said with a sigh “It never ends does it.”

     “You got that right.” I replied.

     I really didn’t want to answer the phone, but I hurried to answer it, just the same.  It was probably my daughter Leana.  If it was, I knew it was urgent that I answer.  I was waiting for the moment in time when she called and it would be too late.  I answered the phone.

     In big, breathy sounds, mixed with a tearful voice I heard through the receiver “mom, I need you again.”   Click.

     A pit grew in my stomach.  Fear clenched my soul.  I almost felt paralyzed, but I called the police in her town.  “Hurry..Please…” I told them.  “I’ll be there in about 20 minutes. Please hurry.” I begged.

     I think I got there in ten minutes.  I don’t think I had ever been so focused.  Would we be too late?  Would I be able to see my baby girl’s smile again?  Oh, dear God!  Are the kids ok?  God please, please, I beg you please let her be ok.

     When I turned down her street, the flashing lights of the police cruisers assaulted my eyes.  They were so bright, I could hardly see to drive down the road.  As I got closer, I noticed yellow tape cordoning off access to her house.  There was an ambulance and people, so many people walking around the area with a focused purpose.  Although they were all busy doing their task, they all seemed to work seamlessly together.

     The tears began to flow down my face.  Horror gripped every muscle in my body till I felt paralyzed.  So many thoughts flooded my mind.  ‘Why didn’t she listen to me when I told her to leave him?  Didn’t she trust me?’  ‘Oh God, I tried.  I tried to be firm.  I took the hard edge approach, then I was supportive, so she had someone safe to call.  What else could I have done?’

     I ran up to the police holding my hand to my mouth, trying to keep from screaming and crying in agony.  “I called.  I’m the one who called.  I’m her mother.  Is she ok?”  I said between gasping for air.

     “Ms. Contenda, I’m sorry.  I’m so very sorry.  We arrived too late.  Your daughter didn’t make it.”

     Screaming “Oh My God!!!  Was he still here?  Did you arrest him?  He killed my baby girl!”

     “Yes, we arrested him.  The children have been brought to Mercy Hospital for evaluation.  It doesn’t look like they have been physically harmed, but they are traumatized.  I think it would be good for them to see you.  Can I have Officer Delaney take you there?”

     “Yes, yes.  I need to be with them.  My poor babies.”

     It’s been ten years since she became an angel.  Time has not healed me.  Every time the phone rings, my body instantly becomes gripped with horror and fear, and I relive this nightmare.

© 2017 Anne


Author's Note

Anne
Please give me honest feedback :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Really good vivd imagery, you painted a very saddening picture in front of my eyes.

It was really well written from a First person point of view.

Mark.



Posted 7 Years Ago


So sorry. This was written so well, and the images where vivid. I saw you going through it... the flashing lights, the yellow tape, the pain on your face So vivid! My heart broke reading this.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 19, 2017
Last Updated on January 19, 2017
Tags: #creativewriting #honethecraft

Author

Anne
Anne

About
Books and Writing have been within my soul for as long as I can remember. Thankful my life has lead me where I have been and where I am going. more..

Writing
The Island The Island

A Story by Anne