The Rocking Chair

The Rocking Chair

A Story by Antonio Oviedo

At the end of sinister street, there used to be an old, crumbling house. In that house lived an old-age man. His name was Henry. His head wore grey and his eyes wore black. His skin was loose and his teeth were missing. He never went outside nor did he ever communicate with anybody.

Henry would do nothing but sit in his rocking chair night and day. ROCK! ROCK! ROCK! The chair was made of old hollow wood. Even though the wood was hollow, the chair was fairly heavy. Every time Old Henry would rock in his wooden chair, the board under the rocking chair would creak. Creak, Creak, Creak. All day long. Creak, Creak, Creak.

The rumor in the neighborhood was that Old Henry passed away years later after his wife died. Knowone kept contact with Old Henry. He was muted for years and nobody ever heard a sound coming out of the worn-out house.

“He was a joyful man, he was.” said Old Henry’s neighbor, Loretta. “It was a shame he iced himself away. But when his wife died, a big chunk was torn out of him.”

So on a horrific night, a group of dimwit teenage boys invaded Old Henry’s house. The front door was locked so they threw a brick through the back bathroom window. They then snuck in the old house very quietly and cautiously. They were not sure if anybody lived there so they were always on guard.

While they were inspecting, they found valuable objects. They found a golden watch, a diamond necklace and diamond earrings, an emerald ring, and a golden wristband. They were going to take the jewelry, but then they heard the noise. Rock, Rock, Rock.

The boys stopped. The rocking was coming from downstairs. The boys were scared out of their brains. Quietly, the group of teenagers crept downstairs. When they reached the living room, the rocking noise got louder. The rocking noise was coming from the corner of the living room. To get out of trouble, the teenaged boys marched into the room with a gun pointing at Old Henry.

Old Henry was startled by this and started shaking. He was having a heart attack.

Years went by and the old house was not sold. The chair that Old Henry died in was still in the exact same spot that they left it years ago. The house was not bought because there was a story that the house was haunted by Old Henry’s ghost.

© 2016 Antonio Oviedo


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
Added on September 22, 2016
Last Updated on September 22, 2016