The letter that never reached its address

The letter that never reached its address

A Story by CA Anurag Sharma
"

This is a short story written by me which is very close to my heart

"

There are not many beautiful things in this world than revisiting your old memories. This is the story of one such memory which was lost in the mist of the hectic schedule until one day I revisited it again.

 

Early leave from office provided me time to fulfill my mother’s wish to clean up the mess on my book shelf. Telling a boy to clean up the bookshelf is one daunting task but mothers are expert in it.

 

Suddenly my eyes lit up when I saw the diary which I was searching for so long. It held some of the most precious memories of my life till the time I stopped writing those moments.

My eyes lightened up like those of a kid who just got his favorite candy. I smiled while turning through the pages which contained the story of my first crush… the charm when I got the highest grades in the class…. those old and precious memories!!!

 

Suddenly a paper flew out of it. I looked at it flowing away with my eyes wide open till the time I could gather myself and put everything aside to catch that piece of memory.

Ah! That was one of my most precious treasures.

It was the first letter that I wrote…..The letter that never reached its address.

Tears came out of my eyes as I opened it….

 

Those were the days when phones were still a luxury which only few could afford. The year of 1999. We had just been told how to write letters in school and this was when I had written my first and the only letter, the letter that never reached its address.

The letter was still lying between the pages as a part of my most precious memory. The memory of my best friend; my grandfather. It was in the dusky lanes of a crowded city of Punjab, Bathinda where I took my little steps holding his strong fingers.
My every wish used to be fulfilled because the king of our house was my best friend. I would just put my demand and he would make sure that it gets fulfilled. But somehow my relation with him was more than that, his presence made sure that I was the most important part of the joint family.
I opened that letter;

Dear Bauji,
I am missing you. I want to come there but Mumma says that it will be possible only after the exam. I miss those walks to the Quila with you where you would tell me about the various stories attached to it. They all are fresh in my mind. Unlike others you never told me about those destruction stories of the city going around that some saint said that if the water touches the temple near Quila the whole city will destroy. The city had a curse they said. May be you never wanted me to fear anything. I just hope that my city is fine. I miss our house, the neem tree where papa and chachu would pick nimonis and red ones were given to me as they tasted better and were good for health too. Talking about health, I want to know if you are well because Chachu told me that you weren't and was remembering me. Papa and Mumma promised him that we will be there as soon as my exam finish. I wish I could reach there before this letter reaches you. Don't worry I will soon be there and we will have that best mango shake from the goll diggi market. Hope I will reach before this letter and be with you soon. Missing you.
Your grandson,
Anurag

It was when the call came that he was very serious and we had to rush there. He was taking his last breaths when I saw him. It was very difficult for him to utter a single word but he smiled when he saw me. I came close to his bed. They said he had very little time. Those few hours I just sat by his side and he kept his hand on my head. The strong hand had become fragile now. I took a nap keeping my head on his bed. I wanted the time to stop there only.
Next day I had another exam so I had to leave to take that exam with a promise that I would again soon. I touched his feet, he opened his eyes and smiled and somehow managed to utter "Jaldi aana" and he went to sleep. Calmness on his face was visible. Even he had surrendered his fate to the destiny. The king of my empire was about to leave his throne.
I never wanted to leave him. My eyes kept looking at him as I took walk back home.

As soon as I took my last exam I had the news of his demise. My best friend was gone. The letter never reached him. His last words still roam in my ears.
I closed that letter, the most precious letter which never reached my best friend. I wish that letter had reached him. I wish I were able to utter few words before he closed his eyes. I wish I could save him. I wish he was still there.

I miss you Grand Pa....and I wish to see you once again in other world some day. I know every world will be beautiful till you are with me. This world looks empty without you. Please come back ...tell the God that someone is missing you very badly on the earth. I want to be a little kid again and want to visit that city, the market, the Quila holding your hands. I want to hear those stories again. I want to talk to you. Life has moved on Grand Pa...I have grown up, but somewhere in the heart the vacuum you created has not been fulfilled and will never be. Life will never be as beautiful as it used to be when you were around. Please come
back...........

Some stories you never want to end because they are devoid of a happy ending but may be in some other world, in other life the end is there.

© 2016 CA Anurag Sharma


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

'My every wish used to be fulfilled because the king of our house was my best friend.'

Shows how much elders and children are valued in the ideal Indian joint family. It is a bond made at an impressionable age and leaves sweet memories which you have shared for example how grand-pa protected you from stories of destruction such as the legend of the temple near the Qila. One can imagine that he must have seen and gone through a lot of suffering, given the region.

One little error it should be 'diary' not 'dairy' but these are minor flaws in a sublime incident recalled in such lovely details [about nimonis,mango shake, gol diggi market etc] that make it so poignantly personal as well as a vivid evocation of a place and time.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CA Anurag Sharma

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the lovely review. I visited that city again after so many years few days back.. read more



Reviews

'My every wish used to be fulfilled because the king of our house was my best friend.'

Shows how much elders and children are valued in the ideal Indian joint family. It is a bond made at an impressionable age and leaves sweet memories which you have shared for example how grand-pa protected you from stories of destruction such as the legend of the temple near the Qila. One can imagine that he must have seen and gone through a lot of suffering, given the region.

One little error it should be 'diary' not 'dairy' but these are minor flaws in a sublime incident recalled in such lovely details [about nimonis,mango shake, gol diggi market etc] that make it so poignantly personal as well as a vivid evocation of a place and time.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CA Anurag Sharma

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the lovely review. I visited that city again after so many years few days back.. read more
Some people do not die they live every day more inside our memories. A very heartful write.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CA Anurag Sharma

9 Years Ago

Thank you Avinash for the kind words :)
A powerful and sad story told. I like how you used life and the letter to create separation and loss. I understand the poem. When we lose someone too soon. We wish we had done more. Thank you for sharing the excellent story and letter.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CA Anurag Sharma

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your kind words... thanks a lot :)
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

You are welcome.
Emtional, awesome and a enjoyable story to read
Good work Anurag!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CA Anurag Sharma

9 Years Ago

Thank you Lizardo... :)
Lizardo

9 Years Ago

You're welcome!
Very emotional and beautiful.
Nice job.




Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CA Anurag Sharma

9 Years Ago

Thank you Ishita :)
Very emotional and beautiful.
Nice job.




Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CA Anurag Sharma

9 Years Ago

Thank you Ishita :)
This is so beautiful. I cried...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CA Anurag Sharma

9 Years Ago

Thank you Cool Girl :)
Cool Girl

9 Years Ago

You're welcome:)
An emotional write , I soo could relate to this feeling!
"Some stories you never want to end because they are devoid of a happy ending" This is a bitter truth, yet has no way to alter!
Liked it(y)


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CA Anurag Sharma

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much Deepika.... yes..there are many things which we wish that they dont end like they .. read more
ANY typo will destroy the mood you work so hard to establish. Re-read your story ALOUD and S L O W L Y. Read the actual word you SEE and not the one you hear in your head. If you find your mind adds a word that isn't there - well there usually IS a reason the mind adds words or wants to take them away.

This is a very emotion full piece... it deserves your attention and edits.

Chris

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CA Anurag Sharma

9 Years Ago

ok Sir... will do that.... i just write in some flow so typos happen.... but thanks for your valuabl.. read more
Chris

9 Years Ago

Anurag... you can't make a second - first impression. You BEGIN with "Atlast i found that dairy...... read more
CA Anurag Sharma

9 Years Ago

Sir first of all its very kind of you to be so honest in your reviews and I am very thankful to you... read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

429 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 23, 2014
Last Updated on February 7, 2016

Author

CA Anurag Sharma
CA Anurag Sharma

CHANDIGARH, CHANDIGARH, India



About
Chartered Accountant, MBA (Finance) from Chandigarh (India). Have written two books (fiction), "Mirage in the mountains" and "Mourning Before Sunrise" My twitter handle is "https://twitter.com/ca.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


In Rhythm In Rhythm

A Poem by MsJewel


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by The StoryTeller