The Beginning

The Beginning

A Chapter by Anthony

There comes a time when there is need for a hero. They may not be what you imagine, and they may be much further from the ideal than you may imagine. Sedohr is a lowly servant, raised in the servitude known only to slaves. His parents were the fodder of a war long ago. He is a young man now, living his life as a shadow in a home of the conquering country. The home isn’t much, just a part of a hill fort, with maybe five families living inside. The hill fort was surrounded by forest, and off in the distance you could see a much larger fort. He was never treated poorly by his owners; instead he was treated more like a son. Even though his owners treated him well, each of the other families treated him like a slave.

 

A couple weeks after his 18th year, Sedohr was let free of his slave bonds. His owners didn’t care to keep him as a slave, and rewarded all his years of servitude by setting him free. He continued to live amongst them, but put the effort into a dugout dwelling. Soon after he finished his own dwelling, he moved what little belongings he had into it. It seemed bare with only a straw bed, a bow and spear, a knife, a couple pieces of pottery, and a few strips of meat. He had only enough things to survive, and survive he did.


***** ***** ***** ***** *****

 

He was a great hunter and trapper, and by making everything he used himself, he became a skilled craftsman. These skills were put to the test a few months after he had moved out on his own. A warrior scout moved swiftly through the woods while he was hunting, heading towards the hill fort he was raised in. Far behind the scout a band of warriors was silently following, numbering in the dozens. Those warriors carried a variety of weaponry, anything from spears to stone hatchets.

 

He moved swiftly to his home, gathering anything that could be used as a weapon; his bow, spear, a make-shift hatchet, a short knife, and a slightly larger knife as well. He packed the hatchet and knives in a cloth bag and tied it off. He slung the bow across his back then attached the bag to his bow. He carried his spear and ran towards the hill fort; it wasn’t more than an hour run. As he arrived he noticed the scout running back to his warrior band. He quickened his pace, needing to reach the fort before the warriors not far behind.

 

He reached the fort, and asked them to let him in. At first they refused, having forgotten a familiar face. He reminded them of whom he was and told them why he had come. They quickly let him in so that he could finish his tale. The fort had grown, and now a few dozen families lived among those he had left only a few years before. Only a moment passed as he absorbed the changes to his old home. Then he proceeded to warn them of the warriors heading towards them, and told them to send word to Letni, the larger fort. They sent a younger boy to deliver the message, and began arming themselves with spears, hatchets and knives. The hunters retrieved their bows, and the women hide themselves and the young.



© 2010 Anthony


Author's Note

Anthony
Had to write an "epic" story for class about a hero, so I began the reminiscence of Sedohr. I hope you enjoy this taste of one of my characters.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

hmm....when you do numbers under one hundred you always write them out [i.e- 5 should be five]. There wasa point in the story when I was confused...you said he had only a bow, a knife and a spear. I didn't think there was a passing in time but when he was leaving the fort he had more weapons. And, I think you should've put more detail into some of the story, such as in the end when 'he absorbed the changes to his old home' maybe put in a quick flashback as to what has changed? I'm done my nitpicking now. Overall I liked it, just needs a little more detail. But you might've had a limit to how how many words you could type. I always went over the limit in W.C. but the teach. didn't care....anyways..I like it. You're doing a good job :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

hmm....when you do numbers under one hundred you always write them out [i.e- 5 should be five]. There wasa point in the story when I was confused...you said he had only a bow, a knife and a spear. I didn't think there was a passing in time but when he was leaving the fort he had more weapons. And, I think you should've put more detail into some of the story, such as in the end when 'he absorbed the changes to his old home' maybe put in a quick flashback as to what has changed? I'm done my nitpicking now. Overall I liked it, just needs a little more detail. But you might've had a limit to how how many words you could type. I always went over the limit in W.C. but the teach. didn't care....anyways..I like it. You're doing a good job :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pretty good.(:
I like how the hero is someone totally unexpected and rather looked down upon. Don't judge a book by it's cover(:

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

658 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 12, 2010
Last Updated on February 17, 2010
Tags: Sedohr, Vampires, fantasy, fiction, Fallen, Mortality, supernatural


Author

Anthony
Anthony

Council Bluffs, IA



About
I'm not normal in any case (Feel free to ask away). I enjoy reading to get a release into someone else's world. I enjoy writing to share my world. My Story "Fallen Mortality" Was started a couple year.. more..

Writing
Ties Ties

A Poem by Anthony


Ripples Ripples

A Poem by Anthony