The Village Headmaster

The Village Headmaster

A Stage Play by Revelation
"

evils of totalitarian fatherhood

"
The village Headmaster.

Prologue:
A man comes on stage dressed corporately, he walks toward down stage center (D.S.C.).
Man: Good evening ladies and gentlemen, my name is Jide Arowolo, the son of the venerable Rev. Dr. Moses Arowolo, and I'm here to tell you a little about myself and my family. My parent did their best to bring up myself, my sister (Toke) and my little brother (Junior) in the way of the lord, with a constant family alter, family prayer sessions, and the likes, in fact, I really commend their effort, and every child here should also do the same for their parent. My family is an epitome of what a family should be, that is, to the outside observer. As for me, and my siblings, we know otherwise.

Scene 1, Seq. 1.
The curtain opens to show a fully set stage; with the sitting room at the right side stage (R.S.S.), the dinning room at the center stage (C.S.), and a bedroom at the left side stage (L.S.S.). A young boy is seen sitting at a table on the L.S.S., Reading.
Man (Narrator): and that will be me, reading and studying my bible one Sunday morning before service.
Jide on stage, suddenly stood up and starts to speak in tongues, a girl comes in.
Girl: and what is all this noise all about, Jide, you should be dressed already, you know pre-prayer starts by 7:15 and as a part of the choir you should be there, you know Dad will be angry at you if you're not there.
Jide: I know sis, but I'm just studying this about the new creation realities in Christ, you know what I found out, Romans 10:10 says, with the heart we believe unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation, then if you go ahead to Romans 14:17, it says, the kingdom of God is in righteousness, peace and Joy in the Holy Spirit (speaks in tongues, the sister looks at him with a blank expression) can't you see it? I'm righteous, I'm saved, and I have the Joy in the Holy Spirit, so I have the Kingdom of Heaven (speaks in tongues). There's nothing that can prove to me otherwise, it's not about what I do, it's not by my works, I'm righteous!!!
Toke: Look here, enough of this your, I'm righteous, we are all righteous....
Jide: that's it, we all are, righteousness is a gift that comes with our salvation, it is not something we work for.
Toke: I know, look here, don't waste my time, I came here to borrow your hair brush, I can't seem to find mine
Jide: okay, it's in my... Don't worry let me get it for you (he starts to look for it)

Man: Yeah, I know, I can be a little crazy some times, and by the way, that is my sister, my twin sister Toke.

Jide comes back with the brush, and then he sturdied his sister.
Jide: wow, babe, you look nice, astonishingly beautiful (gives her the brush)
Toke: thanks
Jide: but do you think this is wise? you know we're not on campus, Dad might not like it
Toke: times are changing, we have to change with it, and doing less will make me an hypocrite, and using make-up does not make me less a christian. Daddy will have to come to accept that.
Jide: okay, no problem beautiful sis, so can I take a sel-fy with my twin sister?
Toke: not when you're dressed like that (she walked out of the stage, but before she leaves, Jide quickly took some pictures. Jide looked at the time and rushed out of stage.).

Seq. 2.
A woman come on stage (C.S.) with a tray contain a jug and a loaf of bread.
Woman: (calls out) Anyone who wants to eat something before service starts, there's tea and bread on the table.
A small boy comes in, ready to launch at the bread.
Woman: Junior wait, have you brushed your teeth? Let me see it
Junior opens his mouth
Woman: Oya go and brush your teeth jare... (driving him out of stage)
A man comes on stage (R.S.S.)dressed in a suit with it's tie loop side. Junior greets him on his way out, but he did not respond, he was focused on the note he was readying, the woman walks up to him, to help straighten the tie, but he brushes her off.
Man: just pour me a cup of tea. (the woman goes ahead to carry out his wish).
Jide comes on stage (R.S.S.) fully dressed, he prostrated before the man.
Jide: good morning Dad, Good morning mum (he said to the mother who was placing the tea on a stool beside the Sofa)
Mother: karo oko mi, how was your night, hope you slept well, there's bread and tea, on the dinning table, where's your sister?
Jide: (already on his feet, going to the dinning table) She''s coming
Toke comes in, and kneel in front of her father (the father nods in his usual manner, then he stops abruptly)
Father: what is this? who are you? Toke, what is that on your face?
Toke: Dad, what's wrong? It's me, what's wrong with my face?
Dad: when did you become a prostitute? I will have no daughter of mine dress like a jezebel, you will go inside now and wipe off that obscenity from your face.
Toke: come on Dad, it's not bad, it's just make-up, and it does not make me less of a christian, tell him Jide
Jide: yes Dad, there's nothing wrong with....
Father: (screams) I said go inside now and wipe it off your face!!! So that's what you've being doing on campus, after all the Godly teaching we've imbibe into you, you've gone ahead to give yourself to the devil abi, Go inside now, I will have no demon in my house.
Toke burst into tears and ran out of stage, Jide followed her to placate her.
Father: see what your children have turned into, after all the money I spend on their education, she comes home looking like a prostitute. (turns to the audience) I think it's time I take a message on Godly Christian dressing again. (storms out of stage)
The mother sighs.
Curtain close.

Seq. 3
A pulpit is set outside curtain, down stage. A man comes in and stands behind the pulpit.
Man: (addressing the audience) Praise the lord everybody!!! Now if we will all open our hymnal, we will all sing the hymn.... (He calls out the hymn and the whole church sings along, after the hymn) Now the pastor will close the service. (father replace the man behind the pulpit)
Father: you can all have your seat, I want to lay a little more emphasis on what I preached on in the morning, I want this to be clear, we will not accept any indecent dressing in this church, this church is a Godly church, and we will not accept any Jezebel spirit, and all this rubbish you student do on campus, don't bring it here, we've done our best to train you in the way you should go, but if you go on and accept some crazy spirit on campus, it is your fault, we've done our own part, and God can attest to that. Now let us share the grace. (he leaves stage)
Jide walks down stage with a friend.
Friend: I love that song we sang today, finally our church is toosh-ing up, take the stanza again
Jide: Tongues not of men but of holy ghost, flowing like the wind every time it flow, I keep on I'm hearing till I'm overdose, that's the reason for the fire burning in my bones
Together: (sings) so speak in tongues, everybody speak, speak in tongues everybody speak in tongues, I'm a spirit man I change in state when I speak in tongues....
They started laughing. Toke walked past them without greeting them, even though they called after her, Jide excused himself from his friend and followed his sister out of stage.

Scene 2, Seq. 1.
The curtain opens to show the family eating at the dinning table (C.S.).
Father: en en, Jide, I spoke with the choir master after church and he said you were the one who taught them the song they sang in service today.
Jide: yes dad
Father: I already warned him, but I want to warn you also, I must never hear such song in my church again, okay!!!
Jide: but there's nothing wrong with the song....
Father: I said I don't want to hear such song in my church again.
Jide: (grumbling) it is not your church, the church belongs to God
Mother: Jide listen to your father.
Father: (to the audience) only God know what this society is turning our youth into, imagine rapping in church, is it church or disco hall, (turns to Toke) and Toke, I don't ever want to see such monstrosity you call make-up on your face again, is that clear?
Toke: I think you made it clear enough when you used me as a topic for your sermon.
Jide: you know dad, I think she's right, if we are not allowed to do this before you and we do it in school, you know what that will make us, an hypocrite. That she tries to makes herself look more beautiful does not mean God will stop answering her prayers, in fact, everybody usually attest to the fact that we are morally outstanding, we don't steal, we don't cheat, and we both have a relationship with the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit has never complained or told us that it is bad.This is a time in our life where we forge our own part and decide who we're going to be, and we're not just going to stop doing something to please you, we have to please ourselves also.
Father: Oh... You can do whatever pleases yourself, but this is my house, under my roof, and I will determine what goes and doesn't go, I...!
Jide: do you know how many times you just said I, how about what pleases God. I think that should be the most important to us.
Mother: keep shut Jide, you don't talk to your father like that.
Toke: if we don't talk, how are you going to know what goes on in our mind, if you want us to pretend before you we can do that well enough.
Jide: the truth is that we respect you, that is why we're here, and we respect your authority, but we will not be under you forever, and if you don't allow us to make such simple decisions as this now, when we fully go out there, and start living our life's we will not respect your authority anymore.
Father: (stands up abruptly) this is my house, and I determine what is done here. (he leaves the stage)
Mother: you two should learn to keep quiet when your father is talking
Toke: if we don't talk now, when will we learn to talk, or you want us to go through life, accepting what other people say and not learning to make decisions for ourselves?
Mother: you know I and your father want what is best for you
Toke: well, what he did today is a very nice way to show it (she stood also) mum, I'm not going to stop using make up, and he can't stop me from using it (she storms out of the stage)
Mother: (turns to Jide) Jide, talk to your sister...
Jide: (stands) (cuts in) I'm leaving also mum. (he exit the stage)
Mother: (looks into space) God, where have we gone wrong with this children, you know I tried my best to bring them up in your way, we show them the way they should go, Lord I did my part, now you have to do yours also (she turns to see Junior)
Junior: mummy can I have more, I'm still hungry
Mother: (snaps) pack this and take it to the kitchen, o lonje 'ya

Seq. 2.
Jide comes on stage (L. S.S.) opened his laptop and started playing a gospel rap, he tuned up the volume, and stated singing along.
Father comes on stage at R.S.S. Looking confused, then he started walking towards L.S.S., he enters Jide's room.
Father: Jide! Jide!!, stop that song at this moment, how many times have I told you not to play such songs in this house again?
Jide: (reducing the volume) Oh! Daddy, I did not know you are at home
Father: I said, how many times have I told you not to listen to such songs in this house again?
Jide: so, I can listen to it elsewhere, not just in this house? Come on Dad....
Father: oya, give me your laptop.
Jide: what?
Father: and your phone
Jide: you can't seize my phone.
Father: I bought it with my money, so I can seize it
Jide: dad....
Father: I said give it to me!!!
Jide grudgingly hands it over
Father: now, find something better to do with your time, like washing the car outside. (he picks up the two gadgets, and left for C.S. Where he sat down and start to operate the phone).
At down stage, Toke comes in in the arms of a guy, she's dressed is a shirt and trousers
Toke: well darling, thanks for the dinner, so will you come in and meet my dad?
Guy: I don't know, do you think he's in the house?
Toke: yes, that's his car parked outside
Guy: I don't know, I don't think I'm ready, you know Rev. Dr. Moses Arowolo, I think I need more liver.
Toke: but you have enough liver to date his daughter, come on he's not going to bite you.
Guy: (seems to think it over for some time) okay, you know I'll do anything for you my sweet angel.
Jide comes out of his room with a bucket and a towel, walks silently past his dad, who was still working on his gadget, then down stage to meet Toke and her boy friend.
Jide: ah! How are you Banji? (turning to Toke) you did not say you will be bringing him home
Banji: I'm fine guy, your sister wants me to come in and meet the old man.
Jide: I don't think that's a good idea at this time.
Toke: what is it, is he in one of his mood again?
Jide: yes, in fact he seized my phone and my laptop, and he's currently working on it in the sitting room.
Toke: (turning to Banji) I think you will have to meet him some other time
They said their good byes and Banji quickly left the stage
Jide: now, wipe off your make-up, (offering her the towel) haa...!, you're wearing trousers
Toke: please, lets go in together.
They both enter the sitting room, Jide tried to shield her as she made to rush out through the dinning room.
Father: young lady come here, what is that you're wearing, trousers, in my house, so that is what you're using all the allowances have being giving you to buy, trousers, from now onward, no allowance for you.
Toke: what! Because I'm wearing trousers, what's bad about this trousers, it's not reveling, and it's smart on me, do you want me to go around dressed like a widow in mourning? That's crazy dad.
Father: (stands) crazy... Crazy, I'm the one you're calling crazy (he slaps her) is that how you talk to your father, in my house
Toke: don't worry, I'm leaving your house, I'm going back to campus. (she storms out of stage)
Jide followed her, and the father left through another exit, then he comes back and pick up the gadgets.
Curtain close.

Scene 3 Seq. 1.
The man from scene 1 (Narrator) comes in
Narrator: it is crazy isn't it, how a little lump destroy the whole loaf? Then I never really did understand it as I did now, that is, not until God opened my eye to see into the spirit and discern what is actually going on in my family. He gave me an illustration, that opened my eyes to the reality of what is going on, and where we all got it wrong. The book of Eph. 6, talks about we not fighting with flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against rulers of darkness in the heavenly places, that means that the real enemy here is not my father, but the spirit that is at work through him. Note, yes a christian cannot be possessed by the devil because he's a new creature, but a christian can be influenced by the devil because we still have the power of choice. That is why Apostle Paul in the book of Rom. 6:13-18, in verse 16, he says whomsoever you yield yourself to obey is your master, whether to sin unto death or to God unto life.

Curtain opens to show Jide at L.S.S. Pacing the room. Another man dressed in a black suit is also sitting in the room looking at Jide who was not conscious of the man in the room with him.
Jide: (soliloquizing) where the hell is this girl now, how's she going to get to campus this late in the night, I doubt if she will even see any vehicle at the park. God, I can really kill dad at this moment, him and his anger... (he keeps pacing, then he walks to the dinning room (C.S.), the man in black followed him).

Narrator: this same Apostle Paul, in the book of 1 Cor. 3, was talking to the church in Corinth, saying, you are still carnal, for there is still envy, strife and division among you, are you not carnal, behaving like mere men, to be carnal means to be ruled by your fleshy desires. Maybe this will help you understand better; when you give your life to Christ, you're born again, a new creature born of the spirit, with the Holy Spirit living in you, and when you're baptized in the Holy Spirit, you receive his fullness, whereby you can hear him better and relate with him better, and by listening to him, and obeying his teaching that is how you can live the christian life, he's the teacher, you are the student, being born again makes you a part of this village, but being a part of the village is not enough, you have to attend the village school, the school of the spirit, of course he might place some people above like your pastor, your Sunday school teacher, you mentor in faith and the likes, but still, the Holy spirit is the head master, the Village Headmaster, and unless you listen to his teachings, you will not know how to say no to all these demon flying around trying to influence you.

Mother comes on stage and sees Jide in the sitting room still pacing (the man in black is sitting on the Sofa)
Mother: Jide what's wrong?
Jide: mum, thank God you are here, it's dad, he slapped Toke because she came in wearing trousers, and Toke stormed out of the house saying she's going back to the campus, but she can't see any vehicle at the car park at this time, she must be stranded somewhere.
Mother: (uneasy) have you called her?
Jide: dad seized my phone because I was listening to rap....
Mother quickly dial her number.
Mother: it's switched off, where's your father?
Jide: he's inside
Mother left the stage.

Narrator: what death can be greater than this, sebi, omo eni ku san ju omo eni nu lo, this is the fruits that comes with being influenced by the devil, death!!!.

Mother comes back on stage
Mother: I'm going out to look for her
Jide: I'll follow you.
Mother: no, stay here, in case she comes back. Here's your phone (she gave him the phone and walked quickly out of the stage)
Jide: (looking into space) Lord, keep my sister safe, please lord keep her safe (burst into tears)

Narrator: many a times we've also being in the same situation, thrown into despair because we allowed ourself to be influenced by the devil, and those we relate with also do not learn to fight the right enemy, instead we're fighting among ourself, causing disunity in our family, in our churches and in our society, remember that the weapon of our warfare are not carnal, they are not physical ones which we can use to fight the people around us, but spiritual ones in prayer, which is mighty through God for the pulling down of stronghold, the effectual fervent prayer of the righteous makes tremendous power available. Stop fighting your dad, stop fighting your mum, and parents stop fighting your children because they are unruly and stubborn, instead rebuke the devil that is influencing them, not by slapping them, or by beating them, but by laboring in prayers for them, the book of James 4:7 says, submit to God resist the devil and he will flee.

Mother comes in looking distraught and dejected.
Jide: where is she, did you find her?
Mother: No.

Narrator: but unfortunately, not all of us are ready to submit to God, and until you submit to God, you can't resist the devil for him to flee, our prayers are mighty through God, it is only through God that your prayers can carry power. So how do you submit to God, the book of Heb. 12:1 explain, it says, let us therefore give ourselves, the message version says our everyday life unto God as a living sacrifice, which is holy and acceptable before God. Our problem is that we did not repent or our former behaviour before we gave our life to Christ, to repent means a total turn around, a change of mindset, it is a conscious decision not to do all those former evil desires anymore, and this can only be possible if you submit to the teaching of the village headmaster, the holy spirit, he's forever ready to accept you and enroll you into his school. If you know you have a bad temper, you get angry easily, repent and submit it to God, if you're always greedy and chasing after money, repent and submit it to God, if your own is lust, you chase everything in pant and in trousers, repent and submit it to God, make a conscious decision not to do them anymore and you will see God backing up your decision.

Father comes in looking sorry, he walked to his wife who was sitting on one of the sofa and pet her
Father: I'm sorry dear, I'm sorry, I know I have issues with anger, I should have being gentle, I was so conscious of what is morally right to me, and like you said Jide, I did not care what God thinks, it has all being about me, and now I have sent my daughter to the wolves, lord I'm sorry, I repent, I repent of my anger, I repent of my selfishness, I repent lord, I repent.
Jide: I repent also, I repent of pride, I should have being submissive, I repent
Father: ♪mo 'nbo Oluwa, mo wa sodo re, we mi ninu eje re ton'san ni calvary♪
Mother: ♪Adua didun adua didun....♪
Jide: ♪wa bawa gbe....♪
A man dressed in a white suit comes in and displace the man in black suit. Immediately they all start to speak in other tongues.

Narrator: why don't you join them and tell God that; I repent, I repent, submit to God, resist the devil over your family, resist the devil over your academics, resist the devil over your church....

A man comes in with Toke in tow, and they both enters the stage, the family embraced, thanking God, and appreciating the man.

Narrator: And that was it, the devil was and still is defeated over my family, that does not mean he doesn't try, he does try every day, but since we are submitted to God to the teachings of the headmaster, the devil fleas every time we resist him, so we don't fight among ourselves anymore, we fight the real enemy now, together we fight, and together as a family we are winning. Now I want you to go and fight the real enemy in your family, together fight, as a family, resist the devil, and he will flee. Good night.
He walks out of stage.
Curtain close
The End.

Cast:
Father, Mother, Jide, Toke, Junior, Narrator, Jide's friend, Toke's Boyfriend, Man in black suit, Man in white suit, Hymn leader, Man in final scene.

© 2017 Revelation


Author's Note

Revelation
first publication, please be gentle with review... but will really love to hear the trut

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

339 Views
Added on December 21, 2017
Last Updated on December 21, 2017
Tags: religious, family, fatherhood

Author

Revelation
Revelation

Osogbo, Nigeria



About
I'm a Christian, passionate about building the younger generation through teaching, writing and public speaking. I'm fun loving and open to correction, direction and advice all for the purpose of deve.. more..

Writing