Silent Night

Silent Night

A Poem by April Child
"

Tis the season and all that

"

Tis the season

when the haves

celebrate having

by having more

and the have nots

come face to face

with a torturous illusion

ever more invisible

and alone

silent is their night

while we worship

our 3 kings

Greed, Profit and Consumerism

© 2009 April Child


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a sad realization. This world is full of greed, and it would be lovely if more people were willing to give. Unfortaunately, this is a country that is almost "all about me."

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This piece has some anger in it. It also is a time when you see some of the greatest acts of kindness. It's too bad it's once a year. I agree it's "make money.."make money". It's a honest piece, but I hope it doesn't destroy your Christmas. Rain..

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I can see why you might say this but The true meaning of Christmas still lives on in many hearts and minds. The fact that you are so negative about it. Seems you may be lacking some of that goodwill toward men.
I really don't like the negative feel to this piece. Still it flows well and is not a bad write.
Debby

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This flows very well and the 'haves, having, having' has a ring to it. It's a short poem but there is a lot in it, including the contrast of opposites and -- another nice jingley bit -- the tortuous illusion line. But this is also a clever notion when linked with the invisibility following. And then there is the pairing of the senses of vision with hearing. And of course it has a scorpion sting. No need for verbal decoration as the poem is a terse slap railing against the tinsel and packaging of the moment.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is good - truly expressing that feeling that I get when I don't have enough to buy everything I want to! Seriously - I was shopping the other day and watching women just tear the place up - for what? My kids don't wait until Christmas for a new pair of sneakers... I want to make positive changes to this holiday too. I am going to go work in a soup kitchen and see if I can't do that a few times a month for next YEAR - that will be about giving back, that will be about the true spirit of the holiday. But, there will always be the Havemores.....

Kath

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So Very True, Greed, Profit and Consumerism. LOL Excellent. :)


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 22, 2008
Last Updated on April 28, 2009

Author

April Child
April Child

United Kingdom



About
I love words and I like to write poems. Sometimes words just come and I don't know where from but I write them down anyway. There's something very powerful in the written word. It shows you where y.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Love Divide The Love Divide

A Poem by Bubo