How I fell in Love with a Soldier

How I fell in Love with a Soldier

A Story by The Scarred One


On May 8th of 2010, my life had changed forever.  I had began a relationship with a man named Tyler Patrick Hempel.  Since it was the beginning of summer, we spent many late nights together on my front porch just talking. Before we began dating, Tyler had told me that he was in the army.  This came as a surprise to me at first when I saw his soft eyes and caring personality.  I later learned just how much of an army boy he was.  From his hair, to his clothes, to his actions. Tyler was a soldier. As our relationship grew, I learned more and more about this soldier.  I learned of his likes, his dislikes, and of his pains. Our relationship felt like a spark of light coming from the heavens that lit up the night sky.

At the beginning of June, Tyler was supposed to ship to basic training for the entire summer. The exact same week that he was supposed to leave I had to go to Girls’ State. We could hardly use our phones during State and I was trying to have every moment with Tyler that I could. When Tyler got to MEPS, he only got to use his phone for one night and then I wouldn’t be able to actually talk to him until summer was over. Letters would be used, but they would not be the same as actually talking to him. But to my surprise.. Tyler didn't have to leave on account of medical reasons.

On July 2nd I made the biggest mistake of my life. I thought that love involved more than just two hearts. I had let one person take my relationship and throw it away. That warm summer day I listened to the song “Here Comes Goodbye” by Rascal Flatts before Tyler came over to my house that day. When Tyler arrived the song had just ended, and I broke his heart. I told him that I wasn’t sure if this would work out. He cried as I told him how sorry I was. The moment after I said it, I knew that I had made a huge mistake. His mom had made brownies for my family. As I got his stuff for him and he left, I looked at the brownies and cried uncontrollably. Knowing that I had made a mistake.  My friend Hanah had told me, “If you love something, let it go. If it comes back it was ment to be, and if not it never was.”  Tyler had told me that he hoped we could stay friends and that he just wanted his space for a few days. I wanted to respect his wishes, but I couldn’t. After about two hours of crying in my bed, I texted Tyler. Saying something along the lines of, “I am sorry, but I need to talk to you. I just wanted to say I made a mistake and I hope you find someone better than me.”  I imagine his reply was something along the lines of, “But you are the best.”

Somehow a few hours later, I had my soldier back. Hanah had planned the entire thing. She had seen Tyler and I’s fights lately and knew that if it continued that we couldn’t ever get back up from them. Hanah had saved us. Since then, Tyler and I’s love has been stronger than ever.

© 2011 The Scarred One


Author's Note

The Scarred One
Hooah.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is very touching... I love the way you expressed it. Loved it and god bless you dear :)

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

710 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 19, 2011
Last Updated on April 20, 2011
Tags: soldier, love, army, military

Author

The Scarred One
The Scarred One

NE



About
My name is April. I am very different from most people. Until the age of 16 I had no loved ones involved in the military. But the summer of my Junior year I fell in love with a soldier. A few months a.. more..

Writing