Barriers

Barriers

A Story by Archia
"

One girl sits alone, whilst other play around her

"

One girl sat alone of the rusted swing, an empty seat beside her, passing through the wind.

The slide was covered with swishing children; falling down, then climbing their way back up. The see-saw was unbalanced by the, multitude of occupants. The monkey bars barely with a gap left to hang.

But the swings. One covered with the tiny girl, the other vacant, sighing in the wind.

All the children played. Laughing shouting, smiling. Dancing their way through to the best apparatus.

But the girl. Not a smile played her little face, no dancing erupted from her.

With a scuff to her shoes, she pushed off, flying high backwards into the air, dropping back down to the earth. Then up again, flying, then down, dropping. Hair whipping back then covering forward.

Until. All momentum lost she slowed, coming to a slowly dizzying halt. No change in the scenery before her. In all her hopes and dreams, she had lost, rejected by the unseeing crowd.

“May I sit here?” A small squeak from behind. A girl to match stood, smaller than the other, twiddling her thumbs, disposition equal.

The girl shrugged, answering her question.

“I’m Lilly,” the girl said proudly, as she placed herself on the swing. “I’ve heard about you a school.”

The girl looked away at the others comment.

“I don’t mind, I know it’s not contagious.” Then to add, as if it might help. “I can’t hear, so speaking wouldn’t matter anyway.”

At that the girl looked back, staring right into the smile of another. Without effort she smiled, lighting up her face.

“Come on, let’s swing,” the newcomer said.

They pushed off, together flying high.

For once in many years, the lone girl felt happy, but she wasn’t alone anymore, was she?

© 2011 Archia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it. It’s solid—can’t find much to critique. Your concept of flow is very good and your descriptions are excellent.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I am surprised to find such a short story to have such a quick impact. You really have a gift. You might want to think about short story competitions. About.com lists a ton, and some are short short story competitions with less than a thousand words.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 3, 2011
Last Updated on August 3, 2011

Author

Archia
Archia

About
Really, I'm just one of you. Come in, sit down, grab a cup of tea and enjoy a good read (now that may be a questionable statement). If there's anything in any of my stories that you want to be exp.. more..

Writing
Is it Worth It? Is it Worth It?

A Story by Archia