Rational Irrationality

Rational Irrationality

A Story by Archia
"

Phyrophobia

"

The walls were burning. Flames licked their camouflage, encompassing the golden sides now melting with heat. I could feel it against my skin, the heat, tempting me to surrender to its mercy. I gave in. My legs collapsed below me, leaving me lying on the ground. Above me the fire danced, inconsistent in its way. But it was falling, falling, falling.

I awoke. The roof was still intact, the walls their normal golden. The closed window made it stuffy, but not hot. I was not falling. Instead, I was lying on the bed, sprawled out in the position that had come when my legs collapsed. But none of it was real. I moved quickly, as if to take myself away from it at last. To push the dream into a forgotten memory. And with it gone, I slipped back into sleep.

 

The morning came with a cool glaze shifting through the windows. I slipped the glass open, feeling the waft of a breeze touch my face. Calm, soothing I thought. I stood there for a moment, just letting the peace of air envelop me. Sweet air. A rustle came and I turned, a straggled piece of paper caught up in the wind’s path. It met the fireplace in the corner. I never had a fireplace. But I was not confused. Scared. Scared as I tried to open my eyes, to wake from what I realised what a dream. But I couldn’t, and surrendered to fantasy’s grasp. The paper was crackling in the heat, sparks flying high, too high. A lose one, caught by the wind, by memory maybe, darted from the hearth. I lunged forward, hoping to catch it in my hands, preferring it to touch my skin instead of the carpet. I wasn’t fast enough. It landed smoothly on the floor, melding into the soft covering. I sighed, it would be fine. But my mind quickly changed as it began to build in flame. A thick flame that sparked around the room, catching quickly the curtains and closet. I beat at them wildly, a soft heat coming to me. It did not burn me though. They were growing, enclosing, grasping. I was screaming, but my voice made no sound through the fog. I closed my eyes, opened, closed, opened. Why couldn’t I wake. There was nowhere left now, the room covered, my corner my only vicinity. I reached out, touched the flame.

I awoke. I was lying solidly on the bed, a sweat covering me. I sat up, went to open the window, changed my mind. I had no fireplace. Twice tonight. It was an irrational thought, that something like that could actually happen. So why did it strike my core? I remained sitting as a deep breathing expressed though my mouth. I would be fine soon, only to return to a sleep that chanced upon remembrance. My eyes began to drift as I returned to lie. Drifting, closing.

An alarm shook through me. Screeching. I opened my eyes, the first thought of a dream flooding through me. But I knew this wasn’t a dream. The wailing was there, my mind ticking. I could hear the rustle of waking in the next room. I skidded to the door. A thick smoke billowed from the staircase. It wasn’t a dream. Screaming had come from the person who appeared next to me. A lick of flame came to sight.

What do we do?

I did not know. A smile though came to my lips. My fear, rational, as I thought.

 

© 2012 Archia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Incredulous, just the way you meant it to be. Teeters on the edge of rationality. You've brought together such concepts as lucid dreaming and pyrophobia in such a short story. Amazing. And the first paragraph was just as bright as the fire you talk about. I was confused by the final line, though. Pyrophobia almost giving way to pyromania.
By the way, the penultimate line says "What do you we?" Typo?

Posted 12 Years Ago


it's pretty scary to wake up from a dream only to be in another dream. her fear was justified when there really was a fire when she woke up. i don't think it's irrational to fear fire. however if you fixate on it, it could be called irrational. i don't know what was more important to her, the fact that she was rational or that there was a real fire going on. great story.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Not bad... trippy but not bad !!

Posted 12 Years Ago


You have a bit of editing to do, I assume you woke on the bed not the bird. A nice little tale, but I'm a little worried about the smile on you lips at the end.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ATG
A very interesting and fairly well written story. It was slightly confusing admittedly, but it fixed itself later in the story. Overall, a good piece of writing that followed the prompt fairly well.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 23, 2012
Last Updated on April 24, 2012
Tags: fire, fear, phyrophobia

Author

Archia
Archia

About
Really, I'm just one of you. Come in, sit down, grab a cup of tea and enjoy a good read (now that may be a questionable statement). If there's anything in any of my stories that you want to be exp.. more..

Writing
Is it Worth It? Is it Worth It?

A Story by Archia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Phobias Phobias

A Poem by The old me


End it all End it all

A Poem by tanaya