The Road Ahead

The Road Ahead

A Story by Arctic Fox
"

Two brothers race for paradise.

"

“Yo! What you got bro? I got nothing,” said Elrin to his younger brother Wes.

Elrin was not fat by any means, but he sure was bulky. Long hours of working as a woodcutter broadened his shoulders and chest with hulking muscles. His dark brown hair was short, and yet shaggy. He had green eyes and a boxy face. Wes was the opposite. He was slender with a more angular face. He took after their mother. Though his eyes were green, his hair was more sandy blonde. He was the faster than anyone he knew.

“I don’t know Elrin. I see nothing, but man, I have this sick feeling. Like something is not quite right,” Wes said looking back at his brother. He lifted his pack higher unto his shoulder drawing his bow string taunt.

Sensing his brothers readiness, Elrin hefted his ax onto his shoulder preparing to move as Wes provided cover fire. Elrin always went first so Wes could match his pace. Otherwise, Wes would be long gone and his brother would be left for dead.

“Ok, Elrin. On three make your run. Remember it’s the road ahead! We have come so far. That road is our ticket out of this hell and into safety. One. Two,” Wes began to count and Elrin hunched forward ready to run, “Three!”

Elrin bolted from their cover behind the boulder and into the open. Wes followed right behind him. The air filled with the sound of whizzing as arrows and men poured from the trees. Elrin let out a bloody roar as he brought down his ax. A severed arm made a wet slap as it hit the ground. The soldier fell before him. Wes pulled and reknocked as quickly as he could bringing down the archers as his brother hacked his way to the road and the border that held their salvation.

Wes began to lose hope, “Elrin I don’t think we’re going to make it this time. Elrin? Elrin! No,” Wes screamed as he saw his brother crawling to across the road with a multitude of arrows in his back. Wes dropped down beside him and began dragging him across. A sharp pain shot through his chest and back. Looking down he saw the protrusion of a sword through his chest.

Wes stumbled back and fell. His brother held out his hand and Wes took it. A single tear fell from Elrin’s eye.

“I love you brother. The road ahead was our last one. We were close brother,” Elrin said coughing up blood. Wes couldn’t speak. His vision was going red and black. He used the last of his energy to squeeze his brother’s hand before passing on

“You were always the fastest, but I should have beaten you to death,” Elrin said as he followed his brother out of the world.

Elrin blinked. He had just been on a road bleeding out, yet he could see clouds and a brilliant sun. Wes stood beside him. The breeze from a crystal clear sea rustled their hair. A man approached the brothers. He had long white hair and white robes.

“Glad you made it! We have been waiting for you to make the crossing. Your almost home boys,” The old man exclaimed.

“Where do we go,” Elrin asked.

The old man laughed and said, “Just take the road ahead!”

© 2010 Arctic Fox


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on June 10, 2010
Last Updated on June 10, 2010

Author

Arctic Fox
Arctic Fox

LA



About
I am the youngest of three. I was born in 1991. I love to read, write, and help others. Want to know more, just ask. I will answer any question no matter what it is with a 100% honest answer. more..

Writing