Raven and Hammer: Perfect Storm

Raven and Hammer: Perfect Storm

A Story by Arctic Fox
"

The 1st Response Team finds themselves stuck under the Islands with no way home.

"

It was well beyond mid day when Spirit let Hammer and Raven go. The amount of paper work and all the debriefings had worn them down. The questions were thrown at them form so many people all day long probing them for every drop of information they could wring from them. The information from their first assignment hit command like a well aimed arrow. As soon as the intelligence officers caught wind of it Raven and Hammer had to endure another round of questions and debriefings.

 

When they finally stumbled into the house the first place they went was to Hammer’s room to nap off the stress and weight of the last two days. They had to attend Frost’s funeral the next day, and then the memorial ceremony when they would add his name to the Stone of the Fallen Angels. Every Red, White, Silver, Blue, and Black Wing who ever fell in battle had their name forever immortalized in stone.

Raven woke first. She wiggled out of Hammer’s grip leaving a kiss on his cheek. She looked out the clock that stood in the den. The hands read four in the morning. The Sky was still blanketed in night. It was a new moon. She held out her hand looking at the stars. She closed her fist imagining that she held the stars in her hand.

 

“The greatest thing about these islands are the stars. People have called us angels for we walk among the stars. They are so close you can almost get your hand around them,” Hammer’s voice said from behind Raven as his wide arms held her close, “My mother told me that when I was a child.”

 

“I love the night time. On full moons it is like day time for me. They used to say that I would get moon freezes instead of sun burns. I spent more time awake at night then I did during the day. That‘s why I slept through school so much. The ethereal blue light bathes the land and all I want to do is dance and soak up the moon shine,” Raven whispered.

 

“So poetic. I will have to quote you in my journal,” Hammer laughed.

 

“I am glad I gave mine to you. I have never seen you more happy than when you write,” Raven said with a smile.

 

“You must never see me with you then,” Hammer said.

 

“You are a flirt Hammer,” Raven laughed, “I hate new moons. Figures one would be right before a funeral!”

 

“He had a son. That is what kills me the most. That little boy will never have a father anymore. I know what that is like. That family is facing a rough road. Hey you have never talked about your father,” Hammer said raising a eyebrow. The questioning statement hung on the air for a moment.

 

“Well. I never knew my father. All I know is that he was a mainlander. He told Mom all kinds of lies. He told her he loved her and that he would never leave and the day I was born he just left. She never knew where he went or what happened to him. So I just say that I never had one,” Raven said nonchalantly.

 

“Sorry I asked,” Hammer apologized.

 

“Nah. It’s ok. Doesn’t bug me, but I still don’t mention it around Mom. It does bug her,” Raven told him.

 

“I bet,” she replied.

 

They walked back to the Hammer’s room and laid together for a while. Hammer dosed off again, but Raven could not sleep. She woke him two hours later to get ready. She made breakfast consisting of runny eggs and burnt toast. Hammer ate all of his and what she herself could not. He was the sweetest thing to her.

After breakfast they bathed and dressed into their Blue ceremony uniforms. They wore Blue trousers both. He wore his tunic and vest while she had her blouse. Their rank was on the left sleeve and two gold wings on the right shoulder. The wings never changed on the ceremony uniform for the corp. The only difference was the color of the uniform itself. Hammer and Raven tacked on their medals. One red tab for exemplary service in battle and a silver cross. The silver cross had a special meaning for the corps. Those who fought selflessly for their wounded comrades or fought to obtain and carry home the body of a fallen comrade was awarded the silver cross. It was not the highest honor, but the most respected. Spirit would have her cross on as well.

 

They met Lieutenant Twister, Stone, and Spirit in the city square. They all walked together in silence to the public launch dock. The ride to Zaron was quiet. The air was heavy and smelled of rain. The bright red glow common to Zaron soon dominated the sky line. Deep inside Zaron was a forge for the dead. There were not many places to bury people on the islands even as big as they were. The dead were all cremated. The forge was one of the wider ones with seating around the pyre. The roof was retracted to let the smoke ok into the night sky. As Raven looked up she saw the thunderheads flash and heard them rumble. It was as if the skies were crying our for vengeance against those who struck a warrior from its precious islands.

 

The Honor Guard brought in Frost. The Corp saluted their fallen comrade. They draped the Aero flag over his body as he was placed on the pyre. When the forge fires started Frost’s wife wailed a deep lament for her husband. Frost’s son kept screaming for someone to help his daddy.

 

“Daddy is only sleeping; don’t let him burn.”

 

This did nothing to help the situation. After the Commander said his piece a flag was presented to Frost’s wife. The Corp would see to it that they were well taken care of. Hammer looked lost in thought as he stared at the body. Raven couldn’t help but shed tears for the soldier she never knew until after his death.

 

“His real name was Alexander Gerard Winters. He used a chain. He was one of the few who ever mastered it. The chain is being sent to you Hammer as a gift from Frost’s wife. It will arrive at your house if it isn’t there already. Don’t protest. Honor him by learning it. It may one day save your life,” spirit whispered to them.

 

“You can carry it on your belt. We carry a lot on mission, but someday we will go light and then you won’t even notice the extra weight,” Lieutenant Twister encouraged Hammer. Hammer nodded and turned to leave. Raven grabbed his hand and walked with him. Everyone was filing out of the forge now. Raven curled up in Hammer’s arms while they floated home from Zaron. In no time Raven was asleep. The rain began to pelt the roof of the cabin making Raven stir a little. Hammer stroked her hair to ease her.

 

Finally Hammer heard the captain call. He gently woke Raven who looked around disoriented. He helped her to her feet and stepped out of the cabin into the cold rain. They to cover under one of the warehouses on the docks. The duo pulled their hoods up and briskly darted from one building to the next trying to stay dry as possible.

 

When they finally made it home they each departed to their sperate rooms to dry off and change for the night. The wind began to howl and lightning struck with such force that Raven’s hair stood on end before each strike. The thunder rattled the windows. Raven dressed hurriedly. She hated storms and lightning most of all. A flash right outside her window sent her flying from her room and into Hammer’s. She had forgotten to put on pants though making Hammer blush when she barged into his room and jumped into his arms.

 

“Raven. You forgot something,” hammer said looking down.

 

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry,” Raven said flying back to her room with her orange panties and black tank top. Another flash and she was right back in Hammer’s room with pants in hand. She finished changing and crawled in Hammer’s bed watching him with her eyes big and childlike with the fear of the storm. Her blue eyes met his hazel eyes causing him to smile.

 

Hammer looked at his beautiful girlfriend. He started with her long black hair before moving on to her eyes. He looked over her curves and muscled legs. When his eyes moved over her chest Raven blushed slightly causing hammer to blush too. He laughed and crawled in beside her.

 

He kissed her on her forehead, “Night my love.”

 

“Night my Angel,” Raven replied kissing his lips softly.

 

Raven dosed off immediately. Hammer couldn’t sleep though. He looked at the package that sat next to his Seladonna staff. He knew what was inside, but couldn,t open it yet. He laid next to Raven for a while listening to the ever growing storm before dosing off.

 

The storm slowly built in power. It was rough on the islands. Clouds made it hard to see. No one went out in storms like this due to lightning. You could be walking and if you weren’t in a populated area with lightning rods you could drop dead by just the charge in the air. Below the island the mainland had it worse. It was the hurricane of all hurricanes. It would come to be know as the Perfect Storm. It would be the storm that set everything in motion.

 

Raven woke to find the storm still rumbling, but underneath the islands. She looked out from Hammer’s window by the bed to see a sea of dark clouds surrounding the base of the islands. She crawled over the sleeping Hammer and began to sketch the scene before her. Sketching was he well kept secret passion. Just as writing every night in the journals was for Hammer. When she was done she crawled back in bed and curled back up to Hammer. She traced her nails across his arms and chest making intricate designs.

 

A smile spread across Hammer’s lips as goose bumps covered his skin. He slowly opened his eyes. He looked up at Raven. He shot up when he noticed the time. Raven settled a hand on his chest while shaking her head.

 

“You need your rest. The Corp is preparing today for the memorial if you don’t remember. Take some time off your rigid schedule,” Raven said. Hammer said nothing as he settled back down into his bed. He looked out of his windows at the sea of darkness around Isladel and the surrounding islands.

 

“What a wonderful sight for this day,” Hammer huffed.

 

Raven got out of bed and headed to her room to get dressed. Hammer sat up in his bed and looked towards the box. With a sigh he stepped out of bed. He pulled off his night pants and stepped over to his dresser. He pulled on his Combat bottoms and top before putting on his breastplate. He laced up his boots and looked into the mirror. Hazel eyes stared back at him. He combed his short cropped hair and put on his belt. He attached his dagger on his right side and his bomb pouch to his left. He strapped on some extra knives to his left leg. He put his pack onto his back and then opened the box. A silver chain lay in a coil inside the box. Hammer lifted the cool metal out of the box and attached it to his belt below his backpack. Lastly he throw on his cloak, pendant, and attached his anklets.

 

Raven knocked on his door before peeking inside. When she was sure he was dressed he walked in fully outfitted. She had her staff in hand. Hammer went and picked up his as well. They walked out the house into the square to a mass of people gathered around a central pillar. Raven and Hammer walked over to stand with the Corp as speeches were made and Frost’s name was added to the Stone of the Fallen Angels.

 

“To conclude the service for Alexander “Frost” Winters; I would ask Serena “Raven” Shade and Benjamin “Hammer” Armstrong to step forward,” The commander instructed as the two shocked soldiers strode forward, “For your service thus far in the Corp and for bringing home a fallen comrade I do hereby promote you both to the rank of Fourth Wingman.”

 

The crowd erupted into cheers as their new rank insignia was attached to their breastplates. The insignia stuck to the metal by use of a high powered magnet. Raven and Hammer saluted the commander and returned to the ranks.

When the order to dismiss was given Twister turned to Spirit, Stone, Raven, and Hammer. He looked at each of them in turn. He threw his head to his right and they all followed him to one of the orchard groves in the square. Twister looked around to confirm they were out of earshot.

 

“It is true Hammer. We will be at war by the week‘s end. Our unit has activated all the expeditionary teams in the response squads. Since we are Element four in the 1st squad and the 1st team we get to go in the first wave. We descend tonight,” Twister said in whispered tones.

 

“What is the objective,” Stone asked.

 

“Each team will construct an outpost. So we will connect with the other three elements in Team One tonight. The outposts need to be set here, here, here, and here,” Twister said pointing to a map, “We got the great privilege of being well into the worst parts of the enemy lines. The only ones who have it worse is Team Three and Four. Team Three will be surrounded by three cities. Team Four have to cut off Von from Kanthis and then capture the entire Talon Peninsula.”

 

“Sounds like fun,” Spirit said with a hint of sarcasm.

 

“Regardless meet at the docks at 0300,” Twister said before dismissing them.

 

 

At 0300 in the morning the darkness was impenetrable. Twister made hand motions telling his element to move to ready the boats. Hammer moved on silent feet that seemed impossible for his size. Twister and Stone were already reading the float stones and helm. Raven worked the rigging while Spirit undid the mooring lines. Raven and Spirit fist bumped with satisfaction that their work.

Four massive boats floated out above the dark clouds encompassing the Aero Islands. Sixteen smaller vessel floated out to meet them. As each smaller boat found its appropriate larger boat; they were hoisted up. The large team ships had plenty of room for the smaller boats and their occupants. Each ship was worked by special Corp civilian volunteers known as shippers.

 

As Element Four stepped out of their boat they met up with the other elements of Team One. On the deck stood the hulking form of none other than Captain Reaper. He turned to face his team with a grim smile.

 

“Once again the might of the Blue Wings Expeditionary Teams have been called to be the advance force for our precious Red Wing Army. We have to lay the foundation for an offensive defense. The other Response Squad in the 1st Advance Force gets to come weeks after us. Why do we get to go to Hell? Because we are the 1st Response Squad. All of our teams are Expeditionary Teams! We are the 1st Expeditionary Team. What does that mean again you ask? We get the worst locations. Hope you like it hot boys and girls; ‘cause we headed for Hell’s Forest. Gets its name from the volcano,” Captain Reaper told them all.

 

The Captain turned to enter the cabin with the four elements at his back. They had to be in the cabin for safety precautions when they descended into the clouds. The Ship lurched forward as it made a gentle, spiral descent to the main land. It would be a day or two before they reached Hell’s Forest.

 

A sudden drop in elevation brought Captain Reaper’s eyes up hard. The Shipper Captain’s runner sprinted into the holding room. The ship lurched violently before dropping again in elevation.

 

“The Storm. It is affecting the float stones. We are coming in hard!. The Captain is making an emergency landing into the water. We will have to face the seas until we reach Almadeer! It will take us at least a week and then another couple of days until the you reach the outpost spot. The ship won’t make it out of the water or back to Isladel or any other Aero island until those clouds leave,” The runner reported.

 

“Damn it,” Captain Reaper Swore.

 

Raven looked over to Hammer. His face was stone and his eyes hard. They had better be prepared!

© 2010 Arctic Fox


Author's Note

Arctic Fox
#4

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting work. Could you please send me the others so that I may read them?

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is amazing...truly a great work

Posted 13 Years Ago


another great installment!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very nicely written. I like the pacing and the flow and the story. You characters too are depicted and developed very well.

The only two things i found are:

"The questions were thrown at them form so many people all day long probing them for every drop of information they could wring from them." The structure is ok, but the lack of commas is making it a bit confusing. I think one before "probing" will solve the problem. This is just an example because i see this problem a lot. When you have a long sentence just try to put the comma in, it's easier to read that way.

And sometimes the dialogues sound too much like prose. Try simplifying them a bit. Not the one Raven talks about the moon though, that one sounds great. I mean such as the one in the end where the guy reports the storm will be a problem, and more precisely "We will have to face the seas until we reach Almadeer!" sentence. Also in dialogues "I am," and similar, turn into I'm.

So that's pretty much it. Keep up the good work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You paint a really vivid picture hon, one that allows the reader to feel the storm within this piece! As if they were there :)
Tense work!
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

297 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 9, 2010
Last Updated on July 9, 2010
Tags: rave, hammer

Author

Arctic Fox
Arctic Fox

LA



About
I am the youngest of three. I was born in 1991. I love to read, write, and help others. Want to know more, just ask. I will answer any question no matter what it is with a 100% honest answer. more..

Writing