Arrivals and Hello's

Arrivals and Hello's

A Story by AriV
"

A short story about the love that people share at an airport.

"

A short girl that appeared to be no older than seventeen years young sat at the airport terminal, on the chair furthest from the anxious crowd. They were all waiting for their respective some ones to arrive.


A family member, a friend, or a lover.


Her gaze turned with interest to a young man who was standing in front of the crowd, facing the hallway where the arrivals were due any second. He appeared unable to control his excitement, often fidgeting with his hands, crossing them, placing them hastily in his pockets, and finally letting them hang loosely next to his rigid body. He walked back and forth, staring fixedly at the hallway. Waiting…waiting.


Ana, the 17-year-old girl, smiled warmly. Lover, she told herself, as if answering some kind of trivia question. This was why she loved coming to the airport so much, not only to get away from the hectic whirlwind that could be her life sometimes, but she found an inexplicable pleasure and sense of satisfaction in watching others display affection in its purest form when they received or sent off the people they loved.


It was a strange habit, she knew, but she loved airports, and she was able to come regularly and blend in the massive crowds that often formed in this very public place.


She once again looked around her and noticed a mother with three of what Ana assumed were her children, also sitting down and staring expectantly at the hallway.


“Mommy, when is Daddy coming?” she heard one of the little girls asking nervously and loudly.


The mother shushed her and told her soon. She then stared at the watch in her slender arm and started tapping her foot impatiently.


Ana felt like an invisible bystander since no one noticed her, and no one said anything to her. To them, they were there for one purpose and one purpose only, to finally be reunited with their loved ones. They were not concerned about the people around them, although they all shared a common purpose.


Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, people started coming through the hallway with their suitcases dragging lazily behind them. Ana saw searching eyes scanning the crowd as the passengers looked for familiar and welcoming faces.


The people in the crowd on her side of the room were standing up by now, so she did, too. Most were standing on their tip-toes while scanning the incoming crowd for any sign of familiarity.

“Honey!” she heard the woman with the three children cry out, waving her hand enthusiastically and smiling from ear to ear as she spotted her husband, who was wearing a business suit and looked exhausted. However, his eyes lit up when he spotted his family, and the little girls pushed their way towards him and jumped on him, hugging him and kissing him. The woman eventually caught up with them, and lightly kissed her husband on the mouth as they both smiled at each other, a silent unspoken welcome that required no words. They were all laughing, content at finally being reunited.



Ana stood amid the balloons and welcoming posters with her arms crossed, like a silent observer.


As the crowd began thinning, Ana watched as the young man she had noticed earlier stood still and solitary, apparently unable to find who he was waiting for. He took out his phone and checked for messages, maybe a missed call. He was frowning as he made a call that went unanswered. More pacing followed. As he turned around to make his way to the information center to find out about the passengers on the plane, a young girl of about 25 who had just turned into the corner of the hallway leading to the waiting room called out:

“Jonathan!” She had a shoulder bag around her and was dragging a suitcase that she dropped as soon as she spotted Jonathan.


Jonathan quickly turned just in time to receive her as she threw her arms around him, leaving all of her belongings carelessly the floor, jumping, straddling him with her legs, and kissing him repeatedly on the mouth. They had obviously not seen each other in a long time.


“Baby, I’ve missed you so much,” he said into her hair.

The girl was crying, and Ana assumed it was from happiness. She had never cried for being happy, and she wondered what it felt like.


Ana turned to leave, feeling suddenly unwelcome and much like an intruder in an intimate moment meant for those two alone. Before she was out of the room, her cell phone vibrated, stopping her in her tracks.


“Hey,” a deep voice said, “Sorry, the plane was delayed. I’m here, though.”


Ana was so used to being a spectator that for a fleeting second she had forgotten that today she was actually taking an active part in this scenario. Today, she was finally waiting for someone to come home. No, not someone. Him.


She was no longer a silent observer, she was a person, like the rest of them, waiting to be reunited with the guy she loved. She wasn’t sure if their love was everlasting, if they would be together forever, or even a couple of months from now. She didn’t care. Right now, right this second, she had him, and he was coming home to her. She turned back into the room just as he appeared in the hallway. His lips turned into that half smile that she loved.


Slowly, they made their way to each other and embraced, a warm embrace that engulfed her and filled her with happiness. He kissed her hair and held her head between his hands.


 “I’m so happy to see you,” was all he said.


He didn’t need to say it, she saw it in his eyes.

Suddenly, she felt moisture in her cheeks as her eyes watered and released happy tears.


So, this is what if felt like to receive someone at the airport.


“Hi,” was all she said.


They both laughed. They could not stop smiling. He put his arm around her, and they made their way out of the airport as another crowd formed, no doubt waiting for the next arriving flight.

© 2011 AriV


Author's Note

AriV
This is my first short story, imperfections and all. I love airports, and I've been meaning to write a story about them for a while. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great story, you have a strong voice throughout, and you capture feeling very well. I also like the indication of continuity at the end, when the other group forms. Overall, an awesome read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
1 Review
Added on August 4, 2011
Last Updated on August 19, 2011
Tags: teen love, love in general, reunions

Author

AriV
AriV

FL



About
20 year-old college student. I enjoy reading, blogging, a nice cup of coffee, learning, going on walks, and traveling. more..

Writing
February 14th February 14th

A Story by AriV


Green Tea Green Tea

A Poem by AriV


The Bad Day The Bad Day

A Story by AriV