Meditating With Nature (Chapters 1-4)

Meditating With Nature (Chapters 1-4)

A Story by Arizona Sky
"

Clement The Monk It's very long so please copy to word and print or like just read by chapter.

"

Meditating with Nature

By: Arizona Sky

Started: July 4, 2010

(Chapters 1-4)

 

 

 

Prologue

The Truth about Me

 

The crisp morning air wraps around my body, grabbing my soul with its icy claws. I let the newly born wind move my robes with its dance as I slowly rise to my toes. Breathing in, I lift my arms in a fluid motion, keeping tempo with the water that beats against the rocky shore. The trees around me sway with my body, scattering fragrant beauties amongst the forest floor. I rise and fall with the waves that come from farther in the vast ocean landscape, causing mist to come ashore. I spin slowly, letting the petals of the fallen flowers travel between my open fingers.

            I lift my right leg; the bare foot on the end stretches out to touch a falling leaf. Keeping that position of the dance, I let my head rest on my right shoulder as I bring my left forefinger to my heart. Slowly I raise my right arm, turning it so that my palm faces the rising sun that is to the east. I continue my dance, lowering my right leg and lift the other, letting my arms rise and fall with the wind that flows by with an uncanny pattern.

            Finally, I open my eyes and let the darkness seep in. With my eyes closed, I can see everything. The trees, the flowers, the ocean and the scarlet sun that begins to turn golden as it does rise. But, with my eyes open… everything is dark. No color, no shapes can find their way into my sightless mind. That is why I usually keep my eyes closed, so I can see.

            I look at the world a different way than most. Most want to grasp the world around them, taking in everything they see and wanting it as their own. I can only imagine the world, so I already have everything I want. I only sometimes wish I could see, that is when I am upset, or angry, or feel I am missing something. This does not happen often.

            My name is Clement. It means mild and gentle. The monks gave it to me… the name I mean. I don’t know my birth name, or my birth parents. The only parents I’ve ever had are my teachers.  I love them, but they will never be true fathers or mothers. The only brothers and sisters I’ve ever known are my fellow students. Few of them know their parents either.

            My closest friend, or brother, is Shamir. His name means sharp thorn, but he’s really nice I think. His real brother is Samir, which means nice companion or something like that. I think their names should be switched.

            Shamir is really nice, but I don’t know what he looks like. He says he has black skin and his eyes are a piercing but kind blue. He has no hair like me and wears orange and yellow robes. Maybe someday I will see him with my eyes closed, though he would be the first person. I’ve been told many times what I look like; though I’m not sure I want to know. I’ve never seen my reflection when I have my eyes closed, nor have I seen a portrait of myself.

            I have been told I have fair skin, a tan color maybe. Apparently my eyes are light blue from blindness. I bet they look kind of scary, but how would I know? If I had hair, I am told it would be brown. I laugh at the though of me having hair.

I also laugh at the thought of some day being able to see. People often ask me what it’s like to be blind. I answer them saying, “Well, what is it like to see?” Most walk away, though one, Shamir, actually sat me down and told me everything about being able to see. That is partly how I am able to see with my eyes closed now. I do not remember if I could see when I was younger, nor if I could see with my eyes closed. The monks don’t tell me things like that. They just tell me that I’m a special, like all the other monks. What I’m supposed to do with that, I’ll never know.

Enough about me, and more onto my story. The only reason I am telling this, is because I do not know if I will ever be able to tell it to my descendants, if I even have any. I would also like to remember my story, in case I ever forget. Though I doubt that would be possible.

So, please, close your eyes as you listen…for it may help you better understand what I talk about. There are no colors when I am awake, yet there are rainbows of rainbows when I close my eyes.

 

           

 

Chapter One

Summoning the Senses

 

 

My story begins during my twelfth year at the temple. I, as you could guess, was twelve.

 

“Clement! Training starts in five minutes!” Came a strong voice from out in the courtyard.

“Coming Master Yen!” I hollered back, pulling on my oversized robes as I jumped up and ran out the temple’s main doors, wincing as their wooden built slammed back into place.

“Don’t break the doors!” Master Yen’s laughing voice came from the East Courtyard. Swerving I began to run in that direction, only to find he wasn’t there. Shutting my eyes I let my ears open. “Over here Clement.” His voice came again, but this time from the West Courtyard. Rolling my sightless eyes I spun around and ran toward that courtyard. There again, he was not in the West Courtyard.

“Master Yen. Why do you enjoy playing tricks on me when you know I can’t look for you?” I sighed, leading myself to the Garden of the Dancing Lilies.

“I am not playing a trick on you.” I did not flinch as he landed right behind me. Seeing that I wasn’t moving he continued, “I am just training you.”

“But you do not do this training with the other monks.” I said, finally turning to face him.

“Because they are different.” Yen spoke, placing his strong hand on my shoulder.

“You mean I’m different.” I said, my voice not changing emotion.

“We are all different Clement. All the monks are special in their own way, which means they need to be trained in their own way.” We began to walk through the different courtyards as he talked. I could sense other monks running by, bowing to Master Yen, and then going on with their own business. Every time Master Yen would bow back, then keep on talking. “There are some things we do together, like practicing the summoning of our qi and learning to move objects with out minds. But there are some that we must learn on our own. Each of us must learn to tone our senses and our qi power in certain ways that will work for us.” He paused, and turned to face me. “You, Clement, need to tone your qi power around here...” He placed his finger on my heart. “You have a good heart child, but you need to know how to control the emotions that come from it.” He stopped, standing up straight again. “Let us go find the other boys. They must be getting restless.”

I had heard that speech a thousand times, and still I did not fully understand it. As I walked along side the master, I closed my eyes, letting the sites come to me. Around me were the beautiful visions of the different quart yards that surrounded the temple. I had seen them many times in my dreams. Smooth stone walls covered in ivy and rose vines towered over us as our feet crunched on scattered mulch that had settled in the soft green grass that grew throughout the temple’s grounds. Birds flew in and out of the gardens, bringing worms to their young. Once and awhile, a fawn would poke its little head from behind a tree and stare at us as we walked by. Flowers of so many colors, that I literally could only dream of, swayed in the light breeze that we summoned by our steady walking.

We were just entering the Garden of Walking Spirits when Master Yen shook my shoulder, awakening me from my beautiful dream. I sighed and opened my eyes, raising my head to Master Yen. “Yes?”

“Listen.” He spoke very quietly as he slowly lowered his hand from my shoulder. Keeping the comment in that I had been listening, I nodded, forcing my eyes to stay open and let my ears take in everything going on around me. I breathed in and out slowly until it took a steady rhythm. “Tell me, boy. What do you hear?” Master Yen asked me, his deep voice only taking up a tiny fraction of what I could hear.

I did not speak at first; only let the world around me find its way into my brain. Far off I could hear the ocean beating against the shore and the sea birds calling to each other. Closer in I could hear tiny creatures shuffling against the forest floor and trees creaking of old age. Even closer was the steady breathing of other monks, meditating in the Garden of Eternal Peace. To my sides I could hear young monks kicking around a ball, screeching with enjoyment as their masters watched and chatted. The one sound that kept constant though, was the heartbeat of the earth, of the spirits.

I spoke of these things to Master Yen, closing my eyes again. He nodded, and walked off. I was silent for a little bit, just walking beside him with respect. Finally, after we had passed through another garden, I spoke. “Well? How’d I do?”

“It is not a matter of how you did, but a matter of will you remember what you heard? Remember how to summon that one sense that which all the other senses rely on?” I tried to picture Master Yen’s face smiling, though I wasn’t quite sure what a face looked like, let alone a smile.

“I guess I’ll remember.” I replied, mumbling. I should have known I wouldn’t get a straight forward answer.

“You guess?” Master Yen inquired, continuing the conversation in which I did not want to continue.

“No.” I sighed. “I will remember.”

“Good.” He laughed quietly at my tone of voice. “I’ve always admired young monks like you. They have an attitude and know how to use it.”

I rolled my eyes, turning my head away as we walked on. I could sense him smiling and couldn’t help myself from smiling too. We walked on silent, but content. No anger filled me, nor did any resistance or pain. I was…completely happy. Little did I know, that was about to change. Maybe forever.

 

 

Chapter 2

Fire

 

 

 

“Bet you my bowl of rice you can’t kick it in there!” Samir’s annoying voice sounded beside me as he kicked around a ball. I sighed. Samir didn’t deserve to be Shamir’s brother, he was so annoying.

“Ok, it’s a deal.” I replied, kicking out my foot and grabbing the ball from Samir. I heard him stumbled and suppressed a smile. He was such a show off he never expected anyone to prove him wrong.

We had just finished morning training and now it was game time. I didn’t hate game time, but I didn’t necessarily enjoy it either. Every day all the young monks and sometimes some of the older ones would split up in teams to play soccer. I of course, was always chosen last. This time I had just been so lucky to be placed on Samir’s team. This gave him the advantage of bossing me around. That was something I really did not like. “Come on Clementine! Kick the ball!” He taunted. Clementine. A girl’s name. I hated it when he called me that. He had made it up himself, so he liked to show it off.

I closed my eyes and pictured the little rope made goal in front of me. There were two other monks standing in front of me. Kor and Yoko. I wasn’t afraid of Kor; he was just another boy in the group. But Yoko was scary. She was amazing at soccer, probably the best of all the young monks. That’s probably why Samir had bet so much on me actually making it in the goal.

I felt the ground vibrate as she began to run forward, telling Kor to watch her back. I concentrated hard, feeling the beat of the different vibrations. The ball began to roll beneath my feet and I moved them along with it. I breathed in every time my feet left the ground and out when they landed again. I sensed Yoko beating in the same rhythm as me, though her body was more fluid in the movements. It was a dance, but at the same time, a battle.

I let my hands open wide as she got closer and closer. Squeezing my eyes shut I kept my eye on one thing, the goal. Kor was standing in front of it, but I made his shadowy figure disappear. Yoko jumped in front of my vision, but that too, was dismissed. Soon all that was there was the rope, standing in a vast darkness. The beating of Yoko’s feet was now almost upon me and her steady breathing could be felt on my skin. Summoning all my strength I skipped a beat of the dance, keeping my feet in the air a moment longer. Yoko swerved around to trip the ball from me, but that single beat had given me the advantage. Landing a grass length away from the ball I twisted around my ankle and sent all sudden vibrations towards it. The ball was not stopped by the invisible form of Yoko, or by Kor. It sailed through the air, right between their heads, heading straight for the rope. I heard Samir’s breath catch in his throat as the ball hit the rope. It bounced off it slightly, and went inside the goal!

I opened my eyes in pure joy and jumped up and down almost howling. “What what!!!!” I heard Samir groan in annoyance. I sensed Kor surprise and Yoko’s impressed stature.

“That was amazing Clement!” Yoko laughed, hitting me playfully on the back. “I seriously didn’t think anyone could make that shot!” Her praise made me beam. Yoko was slightly older than me, which made it all the more amazing that she would acknowledge me. I just wished I could see more than that shadow that made her figure to me.

“Thanks!” I replied, blushing as she walked off to her team. I had won our team the game, but Samir didn’t seem that happy about it.

“You must have cheated!” He shouted in anger as he kicked the ground in disgust.

“I won us the game though!” I protested as he kicked grass all over me.

“I don’t care! I’m just going to lunch now.” He growled, sulking past me. I laughed lightly as I remembered I was going to get double lunch that day. I began to walk towards the main hall, exiting the Garden of Singing Birds and entered the Eastern Courtyard.

“Clement.” I did not turn by I stopped in reply. I heard Shamir run up to me and stop, panting to catch his breath. When he had finally recovered he stood up taller and rest a hand on my shoulder.

“Run a long way have you?” I asked smiling; remembering that Master Yen had taken Shamir for some extra, individual training while the rest of us went off to play.

“Clement!” I stopped smiling as I noticed Shamir’s voice was serious. “Something’s wrong!”

I knitted my eyebrows as Shamir began to pant again, his exhaustion seeming to overcome him again.

“Well what is it?!” I almost yelled, reaching up and grabbing Shamir’s shoulder. It was a sign of brother hood to greet one another while holding the other’s shoulder. But it was also a sign of comfort, used in time of trouble.

“Master Yen...he’s…he’s hurt!” Shamir’s voice was high and panicking.

“No…it…it must have been training!” I tried to convince him, though it was more to comfort myself. Master Yen…hurt? That just wasn’t possible. He was the greatest monk of the Shamaya Temple! I shook Shamir’s shoulder, trying to get more of the story.

“He…we were training when some men jumped out from a tree!” Shamir began to explain. “The other men had knifes and…and whips! They attacked us. We weren’t ready! Master Yen began to fight them…but there were too many! He was hit down and he told me to run!” Shamir was almost crying now as his grip tightened on my shoulder.

My brain raced as I tried to gather all the information. Master Yen was badly injured, possibly dead now. A group of men with knifes and whips just attacked without warning. “Was it in the courtyards?” I asked, knowing this was valuable information.

“No!” Shamir replied as he tried to remember exactly where they had been training. “It was a while’s walk out from the Southern Courtyard, in the darker parts of the forest.”

“The darker parts? Those are forbidden! Why didn’t you question Master Yen?!” I asked, my voice urgent.

“I…I didn’t notice. We had been talking about something…I don’t know!” Shamir whined as salty tears dripped onto my hand that was still on his shoulder.

“Shamir! Put it together!” I almost growled. Crying wasn’t going to get us anywhere. “We need to tell the other monks!” I ripped my hand from his shoulder and began to turn towards the temple.

“Clement! We don’t have time! We need to go help him now!” Shamir cried, tugging at my shoulder. I tried to resist, but Shamir had always been stronger than me.

“We need back up Shamir!” I yelled, trying to throw him off. Shamir didn’t reply, he just tore off, running towards the Southern Courtyard. “Shamir!” I screamed, desperately looking around. All the monks had gone into the main hall for the meal and the only ones out were meditating in the Garden of Eternal Peace, all the way on the other side of the temple.

Screeching in annoyance and desperation I began to run after him. I hated running, it never let me concentrate. I had to take in everything so much faster and focus my qi even more than usual. I constantly tripped over vines or roots and bumped into bushes or walls. I yowled as I stumbled into a particularly thorny bush. I lifted my head to try to sense Shamir, but he was far off by now. He was going to get himself killed!

I pushed myself off the bush and began to run, only to find myself being grabbed. At first I thought it to be one of the intruders, one who attacked Master Yen. In anger I kicked out my back leg, centering right for my opponent’s stomach. I had perfect aim. The person who grabbed me yelped and stumbled backwards, letting me go. I spun around, my arms ready to fight. Suddenly I froze. I recognized the aura of this person. “Samir?!” I yelped. As soon as I was sure it was him, I began to run again. “I need to go! Master Yen is hurt!”

Again I was pulled back, but this time by different hands. Samir had people with him. “Samir!” I shouted. “What’s going on? I need to get…” My sentence was cut off by a grubby hand clasping over my mouth.

“Shut up moron.” Samir’s voice growled, a bit high pitched from the kick still.

I tried to speak, but my voice was restrained. I shut my eyes but everything was still black. I was panicking now. I needed to get to Master Yen!

“You think that petty excuse will get you away from this?” Samir growled as I sensed him pacing in front of me. “I wouldn’t care any way if Master Yen was hurt! That old man is just an idiot, like all the rest of you spirit following monkeys.” I growled as Samir insulted Master Yen and bit the grubby hand that covered my mouth. It shot away in pain.

“What the heck is wrong with you?” I shouted at Samir, my face filled with rage and desperation.

Samir laughed in reply. “Wrong…with me?” The other boys began to laugh along; though I’m not sure they knew what they were laughing about. “I don’t believe in these dumb spirits. I don’t listen to those dumb prophecies and go along in life acting like a complete idiot!” Samir spat in my face. “There is nothing wrong with me.

“Samir!” I screamed. “I’m serious! I need to go help Master Yen! Your brother…he’s going to! He’s going to get himself killed!” I struggled against the older boy’s grip, but was still held tight.

I could feel the scowl on Samir’s face grow as he raised a fist. “I don’t give a d*** about my brother!” He yowled, throwing his fist in my stomach. I buckled over in pain, but the boys did not let me soothe it. They stood there, holding me up to Samir.

“What’s wrong with you?” I gasped again, still unsure of the answer. Samir replied with another punch, but this one was to the face. I winced as I heard a crack and felt a warm liquid begin to drizzle down over my lips.

“I…told…you….there is…nothing…wrong with…me!” He shouted between punches to my stomach.

I tried to reply, but all the wind was knocked out of me. Samir was about to punch me again when I heard another boy interrupt. It was one of the ones holding me. “Samir…I think he’s had enough.” It was Kor.

“What?!” Shouted Samir. “Shut up Kor.” He growled. I felt Samir stalk over to Kor and slap him across the face. “I told you I wanted someone who didn’t feel sorry for this little beast!”

I took Samir’s little interruption to advantage. Shutting my eyes and sensing the shadowy forms of the people around me, I dug my fingernails into my captor’s hands. Kor who was already hurt and had weakened his grip let go instantly. The other boy, whom I thought to be Kimiaro, held on a moment longer. But he soon let go when I spun around and kicked him under the chin. I heard him stumbled backwards and fall into a brick wall covered in ivy.

I fell to the ground for a moment, but quickly picked myself up. Stumbling for a few moments I burst into a run. I tripped over a vine, but quickly jumped back up and kept on running. I heard Samir’s screams from behind me and I ran faster. Squeezing my eyes shut I tried to picture the courtyards. But everything was a blur, vines and grass. Flowers of too many colors picked at my mind, creating a tornado of images. I struggled to see just the path ahead, but everything scrambled in my mind.

I was still running, unsure of where I was and hoping I hadn’t gone all the way around the temple when I heard someone yell my name. “Clement!” Who ever had yelled it was chasing after me. Guessing it was Samir or one of his friends I began to run even faster, only to find myself on the ground. I had tripped over a stick.

“Clement!” Came the voice again. I shot up as a hand gripped my shoulder. I punched out with a hand, but found the attack blocked. “Clement! Calm down! It’s me, Yoko!” I stopped punching as I gasped for air.

“Let go!” I screamed, breaking free of her grasp. I began to run again, but Yoko just followed me.

“Clement! I saw Samir chasing you! I…I told him Master Po called him in. You’re not being chased anymore!” She shouted behind me as she kept up.

I didn’t reply as I kept on running. I had had a moment to gather myself and found that I was now in the Southern Courtyard. I spun quickly to my right towards the main gate exit.

“Clement, where are you going?!” Yoko’s voice was angry now as she chased me, grasping for my shoulder as we ran.

“Let go!” I screamed, ripping her hand and causing her to fall. I almost stopped to help her up, but the urge to save Shamir and Master Yen was stronger. Something inside me urged me forward, telling me I needed to find them now.

I bolted on, my heart now screaming and my lungs aching. I jumped over a fallen log in one swift movement, amazed that I had noticed its figure. I felt branches brush my arm and flowers my bare feet. As I ran I felt a sudden change enter me, causing my head to pound unbearably. I had left the Southern Courtyard and now ran through the forest. The forbidden, dark forest.

I heard foot steps behind me again and almost yowled in frustration. Yoko just wouldn’t give up! “Clement! Stop!” I heard her yell between gasps for breath. “This place is forbidden! Master Yen will kill us!”

I ran on, trying to escape from her. I didn’t want her to see what I expected to come. I heard her breathing, its steady beat beside my own ear. “Tell me.” She almost whispered, grabbing my shoulder. “I can help!”

“No!” I yelled, causing my breathing beat to go off. I began to stumble again as weariness over came my body. Finally I gasped, slowing down. I decided I might as well tell her now. “Master Yen-“ I was cut off by a sudden gasp beside me. Yoko had stopped running and had stopped dead beside me, grabbing onto my shoulder.

“No…” I heard her voice break as she gripped my shoulder even hard, seeming to be unable to figure out what to do next.

“What is…?” I stopped as the qi I had centered burst with sudden alarm and pain. I shut my eyes quickly and tried to take in what was around me. It was extremely hard, especially since I had never been in this part of the forest before. But soon shadowy figures began to form and I could tell the basic layout. My heart skipped a beat.

There, lying upon a bed of twisted vines and torn grass lay the figure of Master Yen. I could not see, but could smell the stench of blood and pain. “Master!” I screamed, tearing away from Yoko and stumbling over to Master Yen. I fell down beside him on my knees and threw my hand his chest. I then led my hand up to his neck, and lay two fingers on its wrinkled blanket. I searched for a pulse…but none could be found.

I threw my head back to the sky and screamed an agonizing and horrible scream. I threw my body down on his, holding his cold form. I shook as tears dripped from down my pale face onto his frail body. “Master…” I whimpered, my eyes shut in pain and horror. Who would do such a thing? What monster would commit such a crime?

I threw back my head and let out a terrific scream. As if by cue I heard more shouting in the distance, then screaming. I heard whips being cracked and knives being sheathed. I knelt still, letting the sounds come to me. Monks were in battle…but with whom?

Suddenly, I had heard enough and I grasped my hands around my ears, pushing the sounds away from my mind. Images flashed through it with out control, causing an unbearable headache. I jumped as I felt a hand fall on my shoulder. “Clement…I…I’m sorry.” I hadn’t even noticed Yoko advancing. Master Yen had been the head monk, but had never done individual training with Yoko, nor any of the girls. She couldn’t have felt the pain I did.

I turned to her, opening my eyes as tears streamed down from them. I felt her pull me closer, I didn’t resist. Burying my head in her shoulder I let it all come out. I didn’t want to see, so I kept my eyes open. I didn’t want to see, nor feel Master Yen’s dead body. It was all too much. I wanted to sit there forever, comforted by Yoko’s soothing humming and her head on my shoulder.

“We need to get out.” I jumped at the new voice. I finally lifted my head from Yoko’s shoulder to sense who was there. I sensed two people. One was Shamir, who had apparently been standing by a tree the whole time, watching us. I could feel the heartbreak and horror radiating from him as he stared at Master Yen’s body. But he wasn’t the one who had spoken.

It had been a new voice, unfamiliar to me. I tried to see its form, but when I closed my eyes, all I saw was Shamir. Though I was positive there was other boy there…or was it a man. With the voice, it was hard to tell. “We can commence greetings later.” Came the voice again. “Now we need to get out of here.”

“I want to burry Master…”

“We have no time. He will have to burn with the rest of the monks.” I was taken back at the power in the man’s voice. But it was the word “burn” that frightened me the most.

“Burn?” I stammered. “What do you mean burn?” But, truthfully I didn’t need an answer. As I closed my eyes and looked back at the forest I could see the flames rising. Heat pulsed against my face and body, causing my eyes to burn. I listened and heard the crackling of flames, mixed with the rowdy hoots and hollers of more unfamiliar voices. The people, the band of people who had attacked Master Yen and Shamir, had set the entire temple on fire.

I heard Yoko gasp and begin to tremble. “No!” I heard her scream as she jumped up beside me and began to run back to the temple. Her footsteps suddenly stopped as the strange man grabbed her shoulder, holding her back.

“You can’t go back.” He growled, pushing her back towards me. “You’ll get killed either by the flames or by the Blue Necks.”

“But my sister-“

“Your sister will die with the rest of your family and masters. The Blue Necks leave none alive.” The man hissed in fiercely.

“You’re not going to do anything?” I shouted, finally standing up. I tried to stare at the man, but I couldn’t find anything to pinpoint his location.

“We can’t. It’s over…” The man seemed to have a bit of passion in his voice as I felt his eyes land at my face and then on Master Yen’s. But it was gone as quickly as it had come. “You are lucky. You will live, but not if you stay here. The forest will burn quickly until all the different shores are reached. This island is no longer safe.” The man paced towards me, grabbing my arm with his rough textured hand. He began to tug me in the direction of the bay, but I resisted.

“Shamir…certainly you are going to do something!” I protested, begging with pleading eyes facing Shamir’s figure.

“I…I’m sorry. Za’hey is right.” I heard Shamir shuffling his feet as he lowered his head and grabbed Yoko’s arm. Yoko resisted, but Shamir’s steadier figure won the battle and Yoko and I stumbled along. I felt captive…by my own best friend.

I turned my head back to the direction of the temple as I jogged behind Za’hey. I felt the heat closer to my body now and pictured Master Yen’s body being engulfed in the flames as they licked at him with their greedy hands. I wanted to reach out and help Master Yen, but his body was now far away from my grasp. As we ran I felt the heat closer than ever, almost pulsing against my body. I reached out and felt a small flame lick my hand. I yanked it back and began to run faster, now for survival rather than being forced.

Sweat was pouring down my forehead and dirt covered my body by the time I heard the steady beat of the water against the rocky shore. Soon I felt the ground change from soft dirt and grass to the smooth texture of millions of pebbles. I shut my eyes to see their grey and brown form. As I ran further, small streams of water washed between them, beating tiny waves against the little canyons.

I looked forward to see the grey and blue expanse of the bay, and the ocean even farther out. There was land barely visible to the sides, but I ignored those, concentrating on the horizon. The sun was lowering itself upon the ocean’s blanket, and began to change the color of the water. Red and pink ribbons danced on its rocking surface, blowing in the breeze of an unknown giant’s breath.

I sighed, marveling at its beauty as I tried to forget the horror behind me. For some reason the thought of the fire, didn’t seem as unreal as it once had. The fact that the entire temple, my home was now gone and all of the people with it…was the part that seemed unreal. And as it did, I couldn’t find the pain in it. It felt more to me like a story that Master Yen would tell us to scare us into doing our chores. So, as I searched for the pain in my soul, nothing was found. All that was there was a dark, empty chasm of defeat and lost memories. There was nothing to grab at, to push away.

“Get aboard.” Za’hey’s sudden command shot me back to reality and the current event. I turned my head to sense an object floating on the water. At first as its image formed it reminded me of the canoes Master Yen used to take us out on to catch fish or to study the spirits of the bay with. But soon its image evolved into a much greater ship with a great mast that bore a charcoal colored flag. The wood that made the ship consisted of different shades of brown and black and the entire thing was almost as large as the main hall itself.

I shuffled forward, now released of Za’hey’s grip and began to walk up the plank that lead to the ships entrance. I heard Yoko’s light footsteps behind me as Shamir pushed her forward. She was still shaking and I felt the tear drops fall on the plank. Shamir was gently leading her forward, as if he were the elder of the pair.

Za’hey followed up the rear as we all entered the main deck of his ship. At least I assumed it was his. I imagined him reaching down and heaving a rope up on to the deck, lifted the plank up from the rocky shore. The moment the plank left the ground the boat began to sway, now unstable without the plank’s support.

Za’hey’s blurry figure (at least there was now something to look at) twisted past me and reached down at another rope. This time he called Shamir over to help him heave it up. Shamir obediently walked over and heaved the anchor up onto the boat’s slick wood floor. After the two had wrapped the heavy rope around a small spike, Za’hey proceeded to the main wheel.

Shamir turned towards me and walked over slowly. He didn’t speak as he laid his hand on my shoulder and looked towards the island. I looked up too, but the image was blurry as if my mind couldn’t believe what it was creating. I almost wished that the image was not as bad as it seemed, though I knew it could only be worse. Flames reached out for the sky, grabbing the land around it with hungry tongues. The trees that concealed the temple burst into bright flames as they cracked and fell. I heard a single scream sound in the distance, which I knew no one else could hear. I recognized the scream too. It only made the sound more unbearable. I just so hoped that Yoko hadn’t heard it. It was Sera, Yoko’s little sister.

I turned away, not wanted to imagine it again. Tears began to well in my eyes again, as I tried to steady my breathing. It was impossible, my body couldn’t manage…no…my qi couldn’t manage. I opened my eyes and forced myself to not blink. I didn’t want to see…I favored the darkness that now seeped into my mind. 

I brushed Shamir’s hand off my shoulder and began to walk blindly towards a corner of the ship. We were moving now, traveling over the water, away from the burning island, my burning home.

Sighing deeply I found the corner I was looking for and slid down against the two wooden walls. I could sense the darkness now appearing in the sky above and soon the sun had completely disappeared and the night became cold. I lie awake for awhile, contemplating everything that just happened. As I did so I let the tears fall, knowing sometimes it was good for the soul to cry. I lifted my head to the sky as a light rain began to fall, washing the dirt off my face. I let the tears mix with them so that they all became a shower of memories that were rinsed away.

I didn’t know where Za’hey, Shamir or even where Yoko was at the moment, but I didn’t seem to want to know. I wanted to be alone, to let the pain come to me as I rest. I let my breathing slow and so tiredness began to blanket me. At first sleep didn’t seem possible, but soon it too overcame me.

I finally fell asleep praying to the spirits of the world that someone…anyone had survived the fire. A fellow monk whom I had spent time with. I knew that Shamir and Yoko had lived, but for some reason I longed for another person to emerge alive. All of those thoughts disappeared as the real darkness took over.

I was sailing away from the island on fire. Sailing away from the only home I had ever known, probably forever. I was sailing away from the Island of Shamaya.

 

 

Chapter 3

The History of a Couple

 

I awoke the next morning to find that I had been moved to soft straw bed. I closed my eyes and sensed I was in a small cabin with nothing else but a wooden table with a burnt out candle on it. The whole room rocked steadily but gently, causing a strange churning to enter my stomach. At first I tried to calm it with meditative breathing, but soon found it could not be controlled.

I ran around the room feeling the walls and eventually found a door. Throwing it open and running up the tiny flight of steps that led to the top deck, I didn’t look around me and as I sprinted for the edge, my cheeks huge. I really should learn to sense my surroundings better for I suddenly found my foot caught in a bundle of rope. I tried to pull it out, only to find that I was already falling. I hit the edge of the boat with an “umph” and my stomach landed on the railing. All of this really helped my sick stomach, for as I hit the edge I barfed up at least two nights of dinner. After a few seconds I heard it plop and the water and I grimaced. Turning around I wiped my lips on my sleeve and took a deep breath.

Suddenly I heard giggling from behind me. “Bravo! Bravo!” Came a joyful voice from above me. I turned my head and up closed my eyes, trying to focus on the sites. The first thing I saw was the beautiful blue sky with few dotted white clouds here and there. Then another shape began to form and I recognized the mast of the boat along with that same charcoal flag. There on the mast was a small basket and in that basket stood a human like figure waving at me. It was hard to focus as it was so far away and hard for my qi to grab, but I was able to tell from the voice that it was female. But…it definitely wasn’t Yoko.

I was about to ask who she was when I sensed someone else next to me. “Kairi! Come meet the newest member of the crew!” It was Za’hey and he was shouting up to the girl up in the basket.

I expected it to take awhile for Kairi to come down from the very tall mast, but I jumped as I felt her land right next to me. I opened my eyes in the shock and everything went black. She had jumped!

“Ah…yes! The legendary Clement.” I tilted my head at this comment, curious of how she knew me. Seemingly reading my mind she continued, “Your friends have told me much about you. I am glad to finally meet you in person. Shamir told me you weren’t exactly a morning person, so I decided to wait until you emerged yourself. And quite an entrance it was!” Her voice was kind and gentle when she said this, but I felt my face heat up.

Rubbing my neck subconsciously I tried to continue the conversation. “Your name is Kairi…ocean village?” I asked, genuinely curious at the beautiful name.

“Ah! You are good with languages!” I could sense Kairi smiling, or at least I could try to. I had never actually ever seen a human’s features, therefore never seen anyone smile. We began walking across the deck as she continued, “I was born in the village of Kai and my family owned a dock that boarded boats carrying in food cargo. Though that is not the only reason I was named that…”

“She has beautiful blue eyes that look like the ocean before the sun sets and silver hair like the foam that forms when the strong waves crash onto the stony shores.” It was Za’hey who had continued this sentence. I could feel an emotion radiating from his as he said this, but I couldn’t quite pinpoint it at the moment.

“Oh Za’hey, you flatter me.” I closed my eyes to see their two figures walking beside each other. Kairi giggled and brushed her fingers through Za’hey’s hair and their figures almost seemed to blend together with some invisible connection. “Not unlike you with those striking blue eyes and slick black hair.” I heard Za’hey huff and Kairi whistle appreciatively.

“So…” I started as I felt we were walking closer to the opposite steps from which I had come up from. “How’d you guys meet each other?” There was a pause there, an awkward hiatus, before I heard Kairi sigh. I sensed them stop walking and look at each other, so I stopped too. They were quiet, as if they were reluctant to answer that question or maybe…maybe they were just remembering how they had met each other. After a few more moments, I finally spoke up. “I…I didn’t mean to hit a soft spot.”

“No…no, it’s ok.” Kairi’s voice was quieter now, more solemn. It made me sad to hear her that way. Za’hey’s emotions were clouded as he did not speak but began walking down the steps. I turned to Kairi who laid her hand on my shoulder. “It was a hard time…” She looked away for a moment, down at the hallway where Za’hey had just disappeared. “We’ll discuss it over some hot tea and bread, how does that sound?” Kairi finally concluded, leading me down the steps.

I nodded reluctantly, I wanted to know now. That was another problem Master Yen had always told me that I had. I contained no patience. The thought of Master Yen brought on a whole other wave of sadness. I opened my eyes and just used my qi to guide me down the steps and into the small hallway. I tried to brush the thoughts away, but Master Yen’s voice kept coming into my head. “You have a good heart child, but you need to know how to control the emotions that come from it.” I understood it now, but I wasn’t sure if I did so in the right way. Was I supposed to control the emotions like sadness, or of jealousy? I decided to forget it all, to push it away. That proved to be stupid as my mind turned back to the thought of my nausea and the rocking of the boat. I felt my face turn green as we turned into a small room where Za’hey, Shamir and Yoko were waiting.

 

“So like…you were once one of them?” Shamir spoke between big chomps of the bread that lay in a small bowl on the wooden table.

“Yes…” Za’hey sighed, looking down and rubbing his forehead with one of his large, strong hands. His voice sounded tired and defeated, and he constantly would break off of sentences as he explained to us his history. “The Blue Necks, which were once the Blue Eyed Eagles, used to be my family. After my father was killed and my mother kidnapped, the Blue Eyed Eagles took my brother and I in, caring for us. I was seven then and Taron twelve, and we didn’t know much, so we stayed with them.” He stopped and raised his head, looking around at the other four of us. Leaning back in his chair, he continued.

“They taught us how to fight, to decode secret messages, to read people’s emotions by the way they talk,” I raised my eyes to his shadowed figure as he mentioned this. I grew more engaged as he continued on; placing my cup of green tea back onto the table. “I loved it there, and I think my brother did too. That is until one day, when I was 11 and Taron 16, a training session went all wrong.”

“My brother and I had been practicing jumping through the trees when we heard a cawing noise from above. At first we thought it had been just a bird, but then we heard shouting and orders coming from the Blue Eyed Eagle’ camp. People were invading.” I heard Yoko gasp and grip her cup tighter beside me. I also felt Kairi tense on the other side of the table. “Taron leapt down from the tree, and I followed closely behind. We rushed into camp to see it in flames…” He choked at this word, but continued. “We fought the invaders as true Blue Eyed Eagle’s and eventually everyone drove them out. But…the devastation was great. Twelve had been killed, leaving only seven left, including my brother and I. I had suffered only minor injuries, but Taron had been slashed between his eyes, rendering him blind.” I nodded slowly, understanding.

“At first I thought the rest of the clan would accept his injury, but I was soon proved wrong. The new leader of the Blue Eyed Eagled, Iro, banned Taron from the clan because of his injury. He stated that it would make him useless in any fight or situation.” My lips tightened at his comment and I felt Yoko’s hand land on my shoulder for comfort. “This made me angry. Why would they kick out my brother, their own son? The thought sickened me so, that I attacked Iro. Of course, he beat me, breaking my arm and forming this scar in the process.” He stopped and pointed to his face.  Of course I could not see it, but I could imagine. It was hard though, and all that I could see was a deep scar that you would find in the earth. I sighed, and listened to his story. “I was then imprisoned by the now Blue Necks, and…made their slave. It was cruel, to force their own son to do such a thing, but I could do nothing to resist. Many times I attempted escape, but was always caught and whipped for my disobedience. Finally, though, I got my chance.” He stopped and laid his hand on Kairi’s. I sensed the feelings of sadness, happiness and strong memories flowing from both of them.

“That day a new slave was brought into the camp, their second one ever. That slave was Kairi.” I gasped, and heard Shamir cough, choking on his piece of bread.

“Wha…what?” Shamir managed to cough. “She was a slave? That beautiful woman?” I smiled and heard Kairi giggle slightly.

“Yes,” She replied, her soft voice seeming to make the story a little less horrible. “I was kidnapped from my village and made their slave, after my village was attacked. I attempted to kill one of their men after they killed my mother. For many days I was beaten, and then they set me to work.” She leaned against Za’hey’s shoulder. “And…I met him.”

“That is what gave me the motivation to escape.” Za’hey continued their story. “I was horrified that they would beat and imprison such a beautiful girl,”

“And for me, such a handsome man.” Kairi interrupted.

“Yes. So we together, devised a plan to escape. And eventually, we did, escaping forever. After two years, we found the island of Shamaya and Master Yen invited us in. For five happy years, we lived there, training and meditated with our masters.” Za’hey stopped and I envisioned him looking into Kairi’s eyes.

A few moments of silence passed when suddenly Shamir stuttered, “Well…then what happened?!”

Za’hey’s happy feelings faded and he rested his free hand on the top of his tea cup. “Then, the Blue Neck’s attacked us. I fought with the rest of the monks, but…when I was in the position to kill Iro…I couldn’t. I…too many memories flooded into my mind as I looked into his frightened eyes. And those few moments cost me my life at the temple. Iro kicked me off and the Blue Neck’s escaped, no causalities. We however, had received 4. I was blamed.” He stopped, sighing deeply to resume his temper. “Master Yen figured out that I was once one of them, and accused me of the attack. Rumors spread that I had lead the Blue Necks there, and that I was a traitor. They kicked me out…banned me. Just like my brother had been from the Blue Necks.”

Kairi’s voice came again, this time sad and hurt. “I couldn’t bear to see my loved one to be banned alone, so I went with him. For eight years we lived on our own, traveling in different places on a ship I had built with my family many years ago. For the past few years though, we’ve been searching for Za’hey’s brother…but have not found anything yet.”

“So what made you save us…if you were banned from Master Yen’s temple?” I broke in, extremely interested now.

“We saw the Blue Neck’s ship across the bay. This interested us, so we followed them for days, tracking them. Eventually we saw that they were heading in the direction of the Island of Shamaya and this scared us. I…we couldn’t bear to see the island attacked again…so we landed ashore before they did and hid in the forest. We were too late of course, and the Blue Necks set it the temple on fire. Kairi went back to our ship, but I ran deeper into the forest, trying to find someone I could save from this horrible catastrophe. Deep down, I felt it was still partly my fault for the attack all those years ago, and wanted to prove to Master Yen that I was loyal. That was when…I found him dying with Shamir beside him.”

“At first I thought Za’hey was one of them, and ran in fright.” Shamir’s tone was sour with embarrassment and horror at what he had done. “I…I thought I could warn you before anything else happened, and maybe could save Master Yen’s life. But I was stupid. I caught you though and told you…” Shamir nodded towards me, pushing back in his chair. “Though…when I got back…”

“Master Yen had died.” My voice was cold as I finished his sentence.

“Yes, but it was no ones fault.” Yoko’s voice broke in. “I ran too, to see you all. That’s when we saw Za’hey…”  I fought the feeling to point out her choice of words, but pushed it back, sensing the seriousness of the situation.

“When I saw you three…I knew you were the ones sent to me. To save, I mean…” Za’hey’s voice was grim but passionate at the same time. “Maybe I couldn’t prove it to Master Yen himself, but maybe his spirit. So that’s when I took you in…”

We all sat there for a few minutes in silence, remembering last night. It would haunt all of our lives forever, but perhaps sometimes it is good to remember things that caused you pain. Master Yen had said that too.

“So, who wants to enjoy the visions of the sea and help steer this ship?” Kairi’s voice was so comforting and beautiful, we all stood up and walked out to the top deck. I paid little attention to the space around me as the cool bay breeze whispered stories in my ears and set salt on my tongue.

 

Chapter Four

 

“Land-ho!”  Kiari’s voice rang down from the heavens, lifting my heart a little higher.

“Aye-matey!” Shamir had come quite accompanied to the ways of seal life. For the past three days, we had boated along one of the western currents, heading towards the main shore of Weslandria. I for one was quite sick of it…literally. Every day I had gotten sea sick more than a dozen times, and had to embarrassingly ask someone for a bucket. I had learned not to try and run towards the side of the boat…for I had almost fallen off more than once.

I felt the ship shift as Za’hey turned the giant wheel and steered us in the direction of the land. I couldn’t picture the land yet, as I had never seen it before and it was still awhile away. I had just finally gotten used to the boat, and now we were leaving it to explore lands that were unknown even to Yoko and Shamir.

“Are you ready brother?” I jumped as Yoko appeared behind me, resting her soft hands on my bare shoulder. I had taken to wearing no shirt, and only simple cotton pants as my clothes. Shamir dressed the same, as Za’hey wore a supposedly black shirt and cotton pants. The girls dressed in the same pants, but wore white blouses.

“No.” I replied truthfully. I thought I heard Yoko laugh, but I couldn’t be sure with all the other noises I was hearing. Seagulls cawed to their flocks, waves pounded against the ship and the wind whipped by my ears, stinging my eyes in the process. Perhaps the most chilling and unceasing sound, was the groaning of the ship. The ship, now old with all of Za’hey and Kairi’s years of travel, moaned with pure agony and weariness…though perhaps there was a bit of wisdom in its cries too.

“Alright Clement and Shamir, get ready to anchor by the docks to the starboard.” Za’hey’s voice shouted from the higher plank. “Yoko, get ready the ties!” I felt Yoko squeeze my shoulder before running off to do her task. I myself nodded and led my way to the starboard side of the ship and began unwrapping the anchor rope. Soon I felt the work become easier and knew that Shamir had come to help me. I looked up for a moment, but still only saw that familiar shadowy figure, and sighed, continuing with my task at hand.

Soon the rope was completely untied and Shamir and I readied it on our shoulders to throw over. As soon as I felt the boat shift in the shallow water I heaved the rope over the side, grunting with the effort. I tensed my muscles as the rope followed the heavy iron anchor, sliding on my shoulder. Stepping aside just before the rope snapped straight, I finally relaxed my body. The anchor was in and Za’hey would soon lower the plank to set us in.

I turned, sensing the surroundings one last time. I felt the coiled rope that fell from the high masts, letting my fingers explore its deep grooves and tangled strings. Breathing in deeply I lifted my head to hear Za’hey calling from the edge of the boat. “All ready to board dock!” He shouted over the buffeting wind that seemed to engulf all of the passengers. I squinted my watery eyes and let my qi lead me to the plank.

“Hey! Aren’t you so glad just to be getting off that boat?” I sensed Kairi behind me before she spoke. Her voice was calming and beautiful, reminding me of the chimes that would blow in the gentle wind back at the temple. I smiled as she placed her hand on my shoulder, leading me down the plank. If Shamir or Za’hey had attempted this, I would have simply shoved them off, but having Kairi’s hand on my bare shoulder sent rivers of calmness flowing through my veins.

Suddenly my legs collapsed beneath me and I gasped as my back hit the wet deck. I expected Kairi to jump to my rescue but instead I heard her soft, jingling laugh. “It seems you have a case of sea legs.” I blushed with embarrassment as she offered her hand to help me up. Reluctantly I accepted it and hauled myself up, shaking my head abruptly. I walked on indignantly, though it was rather hard as I was stumbling at every left step. My stomach felt even more nauseous now that I was on land and I cursed inside, wondering if the nightmare would ever end.

“Hey brother, it seems as if we have just landed in the promise land.” I closed my eyes as Shamir fell in pace beside me. I then began to sense the position of the land and the sea, and the many characteristics that they held. In front of me stretched a vast ocean of wooden huts and houses, gravely roads and thousands of bustling people. Farther from the city stretched great fields of green and gold forming into great mountains at the very edge of my view. I almost gasped in amazment and awe.

“It’s…huge.” I breathed at last, unable to find a better word. “And beautiful.”

“Ah yes.” Kairi’s voice again came from behind me. “Kairi.”

Ocean Village.” Za’hey’s voice now.

“My home.” Kairi again. At first I depicted awe and happiness in her voice, but at the very edge and deep inside of her I felt the emotion of sadness wrapping around her heart. “It’s not like it once was.” She sighed, proceding to walk past me and onto the gravel road that led to the main road that wound its way throughout the village.

“I think it’s beautiful.” Yoko’s young voice murmured beside me, her soft breath landing on my neck. “I don’t see why she’s so sad.” Yoko sighed. So she felt it to.

“This has been the first time she has returned since the great battle in which she was enslaved. Until now it’s been blocked by a barricade of Blue Neck ships.” Za’hey began to follow Kairi. “She does not know if any of her family survives.”

I nodded slowly, understanding. I knew what it was like not to know of my family or of their happenings. I kept my eyes shut as I walked on, sensing the change of foot as we stepped onto the rough gravel. The houses were dark and mysterious…almost dead. Their old shackled roofs and walls were built of rotten wood, held together by simple iron nails. Many had barred windows and broken doors, though some had lights that were born inside them. Although the buildings seemed to be lost of all life, the people did not. There were thousands of them all shouting and howling over the roar of the wind and the sound of other people. Dogs barked and raced amongst the little children and adults pushed along carts and wagons full of all varieties of things.

I heard one man shouting from the road side, “Pears ‘n apples! Fresh from the Iri Islands! Two for a shillin’ four for just two!” His accent was strong and similar to Za’hey’s, dragging out each syllable. I tried to picture him but again could not see his face and only his short plump body that was shrouded in shadows.

I yelped as I was pushed aside by some small child shouting out something in another language that I did not understand. He wielded papers in his hands and flung around a large bag that slung from his shoulder. “Paper boy.” Za’hey explained. “They come in just about every origin.” His voice was barely audible over the roar of the crowds and wind.

We were bustled along for quite awhile and my mind had just started becoming quite jumbled when I suddenly felt a strong hand rest on my arm. “This way.” I twisted in the direction that Za’hey was pulling me and felt Yoko spin beside me. I opened my eyes, too confused by the sudden change of direction and surroundings.

“Where are we…”

“Shh…” It was Shamir who spoke now, and I supposed he could see something that I could not. “It’s Kairi. She’s talking to some man…” Shamir’s voice was quiet and confused as he gripped my arm. I felt Za’hey walk away in the supposed direction of Kairi as Yoko huddled closer to me.

“That man scares me.” She whispered into my ear. “He has no hair on the top of his head but has a beard that goes down to his knees. And I think he has more than one kind of vegetable stuck in it.” I curled a lip at this imagery.

“What is he wearing?” I wondered why I asked this a moment after I had actually spoken the words. Why would it matter what the man was wearing?

“A strange cloak of some sort. It’s black and purple with golden pictures of moons and stars. It’s very long too.” It was Shamir who answered.

I nodded slowly as if this information meant something to me. Though, perhaps it did but I did not know it. Shaking the thought off I stared into the darkness and tried to listen to Kairi’s conversation with the strange man.

“…we don’t want a drink, Chogan. All I want to know is where we can get some food. Holy spirits man, what has happened to you?” Kairi’s voice was sharp and harsh, and at first I did not associate it with her.

“Oh but deary, don’t you think a good sip of firewater would do you good after such a long trip? My water tastes as good as food.” The man’s voice was raspy, reminding of an old dragon from the stories Master Yen would tell. He dragged out each word so that the sentence seemed to never end.

“Chogan, you heard her. We just want food.” It was Za’hey now and his voice was also almost a growl.

“Kairi, deary…” The old man rasped.

“Don’t call me that.” Kairi hissed.

“Very well, Kairi. But I warn you…people around here have changed. So long since you’ve been gone. So long. I suppose you don’t even know about the new rave for potions. I can tell you all about it if you just come in and take a drink.” Chogan enunciated the “k” and caused me to wince. What was so important about the stupid drink? Kairi just wanted to know where to get food! How difficult could that be?

“Fine Chogan. But one drink and then it’s on to business.”  Kairi surrendered, though she did not sound defeated. I sensed her turn towards us. “Come on in. I don’t want to leave you out in the streets now that it’s getting dark.” I nodded, not having noticed the darkening sky…due to the fact that it was always dark when my eyes were open. 

As I entered the room my stomach instantly felt nauseous, my headache becoming even worse. Squeezing my eyes shut against the sickening burn of the air, shapes began to form around me. First was the long table that stretched across the middle of the room, connecting to both walls of the room. I noticed a little hatch where the table could be opened and one could step through to the other side. The table itself was cloaked in a dark tablecloth that only ended at the little hatch. But only the sides of the cloth were visible under the great mass of bottles and bowls that devoured the table.

As I stepped farther into the room my foot crunched against something and I yelped. Looking down I saw a crushed bottle, a shard of the glass protruding from my foot. Without arising much attention I was able to pull the glass from my foot and toss it aside. I heard it hit the wall, but it was muffled by the great black and golden tapestries that hung there. I turned slowly, Shamir and Yoko now gone from my side and saw all of the walls were covered by different tapestries. The designs sketched on them seemed to glow in the fading light and the entire room seemed to reflect their power.

Although the room was littered with empty and half-full bottles, it had some kind of strange elegancy to it. The ceiling was draped with golden and red tapestry and star models precisely in place devoured the room in an eerie calmness.

“Now Chogan, we only want food. You know I do not drink.” It was Za’hey, his voice strained. I turned to see my friend’s shadows standing by the long table. Chogan was on the other side, pouring a glass of a strange red liquid. My stomach churned and I swayed lightly.

I approached them, watching my step and stood next to Yoko. “That’s not…”

“No.” Her voice was not humorous at my mistake though, only concentrated. “It’s some kind of potion…alcohol I think.”

“Oh…ok…” I blinked a few times, still unnerved by the liquid’s looks.

“Now Za’hey. I wouldn’t worry. A few sips never hurt anyone… Plus it is quite rejuvenating.” Chogan’s voice was still raspy, every other syllable enunciated by a huff.

“It is quite good…” Kairi spoke now. But her voice was slightly different, more relaxed then it had been before we entered the room. “Don’t worry it Za’hey.” Kairi was now laughing, and Za’hey along with her.

“Of course!” Za’hey giggled and as I turned I saw his shadow downing a big gulp of the strange liquid. “Come on Shamir…try a sip!” His voice was blurred…blurred.

Shamir stalled, or maybe he went right in. What did it matter? The moment he took a sip he began to chuckle, a sound I hadn’t heard in awhile. “Come on Yoko…try a bit. It’s really good!” His voice echoed in the room. Laughter…echoed laughter.

“Yes really good Yoko…Yoko!” Kairi was almost screeching with laughter now as she began to down another bottle of the liquid. Laughter filled my head, laughter. Hilarious noises and spirals of wonder. Fuzzy…fuzzy mind.

“Really good! Really good! Really…really….really…gooooooooooood…” The last thing I saw was Yoko downing an entire glass and smashing it on the floor. Then the world went black.

 

 

 

 

© 2011 Arizona Sky


Author's Note

Arizona Sky
please try to ignore any grammar or anything
oh and please comment on if you think it's too kidish or not
please just comment on anything. bad comments accepted!
(Next few chapters are in Meditating with Nature Ch. 5- )
Please read those too!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is so wonderful I can see how everything is for him but he is blind. It is very interesting to see his point of view... love it!!!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a well-constructed and captivating story. You've expertly creating the setting and the characters. A little slow inthe beggining. Great details, though it sometimes gets caught up in them.
Overall, I really enjoyed this. Keep it up!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Gosh, Expect a few reviews from me on this, im reading it in sections becasue of how long it is.

Anywho.
The very begining was just...captureing. They way you describe the fluid movements, I can only wish i could write like that. What makes this so interesting is that, hes blind, and yet he can see in his own personal way.


They only think that confused me is weather or not there is some magical aspect to this. Anyway, im only half way through chapter two, so i might find out later in the story. Like i said expect a few reviews from me on this.

You're a wonderful writer, please keep at it and you have my best wishes :)

-Harmony/Roxy

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very good. I like this alot :) Keep up the good work :D

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Read request it to people and I think this story was really good.! Keep on writing! :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

334 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on December 7, 2010
Last Updated on January 29, 2011
Tags: COMMENT
Previous Versions

Author

Arizona Sky
Arizona Sky

About
I'm a young teen very inspired by great authors, musicians and artists of any and all kinds. My brother inspired me to begin to write real stories (short stories) when he wrote a wonderful paper in .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Snow The Snow

A Story by Treo LeGigeo