Flames of the Forgotten

Flames of the Forgotten

A Chapter by Arsenic Nemesis

Zero

 

Their came cries from outside. Pleas; desperate for her safety. By the time her parents managed to gather their senses, it was too late, the raging beast had made its way to her bedroom door. Orange fingers turned everything it touched into crisp, black soot, and the smoke that trailed after it smothered all.

Like a ghost it crept into her bedroom and left her there, amongst the covers, unconscious as the malicious monster went about its business, destroying the house, leaving her room for last.

Water blasted the flames and human warriors raced through the residence, trying with great labour to break through the red hot hand that blocked their way to the girl’s chambers. Outside, it seemed that all hope was lost for the child, of only six years, away in her bedroom.

No one was coming to her rescue.

Her mother gave a wail of despair and collapsed onto her knees, head buried in her palms as her boyfriend crouched down beside her, trying to comfort her. “Don’t worry,” he said in a trembling tone, “the fire-fighters know what they’re doing. They’ll get her out safe, you’ll see”

Only, they wouldn’t. The monster backed up to her door and began to burn through the thin layer of wood. Soon, it would be upon her; ready to turn her into an unrecognisable victim. It looked forward to hearing those confused cries of the mother " “This isn’t my baby,” she would say, pausing only to sob, “there is just no way”

Their daughter will be gone and the beast will be ready to attack again, perhaps in another house: a child playing with a lighter, an unguarded pan, or even a case like this with an overloaded plug socket.

But, there was a major factor that the fiery creature did not take into account. That the girl’s salvation was already with her, nestled beside her in her bed; her huge, beady eyed teddy bear. She named him Dodge the day she got him, just a year ago and already she felt as though they’d been together since he was sewn and she was born.

Dodge’s eyes flashed as the flames cracked and snapped. He knew that soon it will come and take his child away. Well, he wouldn’t allow that. From the very moment he had been created, he knew that there was a child out there waiting for him. One that he would be there to comfort when she cried, and give her company when she’s alone. She was also the one he had to protect.

Snap, crack, crunch...

It would be there, any second, to take her away from him. He would not let that happen.

The monster burst through the door with a thunderous roar, sending splintered pieces of wood flying and turning pink carpet into black. At the same time, a flash of light took over Dodge’s bear-like form. He didn’t take any time into realising his new structure and scooped her up, bolting toward the window. No time could be wasted; he needed to get her out of there now. No one else came to her rescue and her doom was in her bedroom. If he did get caught it didn’t matter, so long as she was safe.

He kicked at the window and, without hesitation, leapt out of it. Behind him he could hear their screams. Others, like him, who saw it their duty to protect her; but, none so much as Dodge. Through their agonised shouts, he could hear them thank him for getting their child out of danger, even at their expense.

Firmly, he landed on the ground. The grass quivered below him and his legs vibrated, but he held fast onto the girl and looked at her. Black marks covered her face and she was sweltering, her lungs giving out wheezing breaths. But, other than that, she appeared to be in a peaceful sleep.

A yell crossed the garden and Dodge froze. They’d noticed, they must have. Still, he reverted back into his bear form and slumped on the ground beside the girl, men in uniforms racing over to help her. Her mother squeaked, in what seemed to be relief.

The firemen took the girl and brought her across the garden, away from the house. Dodge was left behind, but he didn’t care, his job had been done and he hadn’t been caught either. He just hoped that whoever replaced him would protect and treasure her like the rest of them.

As their attention was diverted, concentrating on the beast and family of the home, a being wondered over to him. Nobody noticed her, even the brittle vegetation did not make a sound under her feet and the wind did not touch her. With a smile, she gathered Dodge up in her arms.

“You have done well,” she whispered to the bear, stroking him gently, “I believe that you’ve earned yourself a well-earned rest; Dodge, the Forgotten Ware”

In that instant, Dodge’s world faded into blackness. Could it be? He remembered thinking to himself. That’s she’s forgotten me already?  

 

 



© 2010 Arsenic Nemesis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Really interesting! totally hooked me from the beginning, I want some more! there's just one grammar mistake I noticed in the first line " Their came cries from outside...", I think it should be ' Their cries came from outside'. And thank you for your review it really helped :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Awww, poor Dodge. He saved that little girl and no one paid him any attention. I love this book, its so sweet. No mistakes that I picked up on. Great job!!

~Skulli

Posted 13 Years Ago


Really interesting! totally hooked me from the beginning, I want some more! there's just one grammar mistake I noticed in the first line " Their came cries from outside...", I think it should be ' Their cries came from outside'. And thank you for your review it really helped :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love your style as well as your words(= I look forward to more of you writing

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

420 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 9, 2010
Last Updated on December 10, 2010
Tags: forgotten, wares, teddy, bears, dodge, kendall, toys, family, friends, romance, fantasy, and, all, that, jazz


Author

Arsenic Nemesis
Arsenic Nemesis

Redcar, United Kingdom



About
MOVED. NOW http://www.writerscafe.org/Paranoid%20Maze more..

Writing