Chapter I: Hunter

Chapter I: Hunter

A Chapter by Sheik

          I awaken as the sun rises to the sound of birds singing a sweet melody. I get up from my bed of soft grass and gaze into the horizon. The grass glistens with dew all around me and I feel refreshed, just like every morning. Out of the birdsong I hear the calm trickle of the nearby stream. Walking to its bank, I dip my hands in its water and cup myself a drink.

          The water is fresh and sparkling as always. The bright color of fish glow from beneath. Their scales seem to reflect the light. Longing for a bath, I follow the stream down to the pond it flows into.

          When I reach a small waterfall where the stream enters the pond something rustles in the leaves. I turn to look. It is a man. He runs and jumps into the pond. This makes a splash and waves wash across the water. His black hair rinses through the surface of the water before he sees me. I’m staring at him in shock.

          “Sorry. I didn’t see you there,” he says.

          “This is the goddess Artemis’s hunting grounds,” I say. “She doesn’t take kindly to strange men, or more like any men at all.”

          “Really? Then tell me, what can I do to earn her approval?” he asks with a brash smile.

          I scowl. “Nothing. She doesn’t trust men because they’re all liars.”

          “Intriguing notion. Could you arrange a meeting for us?”

          “I am Artemis, and now you must leave before I’m forced to take drastic measures.”

          His smile fades and he gets out of the water. “I’m sorry if I insulted you,” he says. “Can’t you make an exception?”

          “No. Why?”

          “The truth is, I’ve traveled far across the sea just to hunt with you.”

          My fierce blue eyes soften. “Brother wouldn’t approve.”

          “Have you ever disobeyed him?”

          “Yes.”

          “Then let’s hunt.”

 


The wood crackles with sparks of fire. I sit on the side across from my new companion, whose name is Orion. “Want to hear a story?” he asks.

          “Okay. Is it about you?”

          “Yes. It took place on Chios.

“I hunted all the wild beasts there to win the princess, but the king didn’t approve. I drank with him and he blinded me in my sleep. To recover my sight a Cyclops guided me to the sun. When I returned to Chios the king and his princess were gone.”

          “How did you cross the sea?”

          “I walked.”

          “What?”

          “I can control water.”

          “That’s impossible.”

          “Then tomorrow I’ll prove it.”

          I fall silent and looked up at the stars. They remind me of my childhood in Troy. I grew up beside my twin brother Apollo. He was god over the city. A five-year battle came; the Greeks laid siege over Troy, led by the king of Achaia. The Olympians were divided over the conflict and Troy was finally burned to the ground.

          When I was little Apollo used to sing songs for me. One was the story of Orpheus and Eurydice, and it was my favorite. Now I listen to his far-off voice singing in my head:

 

On a summer’s day,

music starts to play

from a nice, young lad.

It was all he had.

 

Dancing till the night,

now in fire light,

were the others there.

Could they even care?

 

Then he would see her.

She came to be his only cure.

His music grows,

for now he was sure.

 

On their wedding day,

music starts to play

from a nice, young lad.

She was all he had.

 

Dancing in the light,

now in bright sunlight,

were the others there.

Could they really fair?

 

Death took her away,

on that sunny day.

 

Where there is no day,

music starts to play

from a nice, young lad.

It was all he had.

 

Dancing in the dark,

now inside his heart,

were the bluest flames.

Could they really spark?

 

Then he would see her.

She no longer could be his cure.

His music goes,

for he was not sure.



© 2022 Sheik


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

302 Views
Added on May 5, 2013
Last Updated on November 1, 2022
Tags: moon, stars, artemis, apollo, hermes, ares, greek, mythology


Author

Sheik
Sheik

TX



About
I write lyrics, fiction, and fanfiction. I use dark and romantic themes. more..

Writing
Chapter I: Betrayal Chapter I: Betrayal

A Chapter by Sheik