Chapter V: Madness

Chapter V: Madness

A Chapter by Sheik

          I’m hunting Orion. He’s my enemy and I have to bring him down. Oblivious in my sight, I let go of the string and he collapses behind a tree. I run up to him and pull out the arrow. Then I am hit in the head with something heavy. 


 

          My head is spinning. Out of the shadows I hear a girl’s voice. “So you’ve awoken.”

          “Who am I?”

          “Artemis. Did I give you amnesia with that stone?”

          “What?”

          “I’ll take that as a yes. Basically you’re a goddess who’s very protective of her hunting grounds.” A blinding light shines out of nowhere. We cover our eyes in fright.

“What are you doing with my sister?” asks a man’s voice. The light settles down and I see him untying my bonds. His blond hair brushes against my face. The girl doesn’t dare to run away. She is afraid of this shining man.

“I’m your sister?” I ask him nervously.

He ignores me and turns on the girl. “What did you want from Artemis?” he demands.

“Her help. I’m taking Orion to the underworld.”

“Why?”

“He thinks he’s someone else. Someone that died.”

“You must be crazy. Artemis just killed Orion with her arrows.”

“The water healed him.”

He laughs in disbelief. “Where is he, silly girl?”

Before she can answer another man shows up carrying Orion. “I’ve got him,” he says.

“Thank you Ares,” says Apollo. The shining god draws his sword.

“Don’t kill him!” I shout, rushing to shield the unconscious man.

“You really don’t remember who you are, sister. Maybe I can let him live if you promise to spend your days with me again.”

“I’ll stay with you if you go with us to the underworld.”

He sheaths his sword and flashes a sardonic smile. “Whatever makes you happy. Although that’s quite a rebellious task. Our father wouldn’t approve.”


 

That night all five of us camp together. In my dream I see Orion shooting down beasts with his arrows over a field. The grass is spotted with flowers. I can barely make out the colors in the dim, ethereal light.

The hunter is fierce without mercy. He looks my way and runs toward me, drawing an arrow. I’m unarmed and he’s going to kill me.

“I’m sorry!” I scream.



          “Artemis?” I open my eyes to see Apollo sitting there. “There’s something I need to tell you.”

          “What is it?” I sit up.

          “The god Ares cast a spell of madness on you. That’s why you shot Orion, because I wanted you to.”

          “Why would you do that to me? The girl bashed my head and now I can’t remember anything.”

          “I’m sorry about your amnesia.”

          “You should be sorry for making me kill an innocent man.”

          “I didn’t expect you to forgive me for that.”

          “Leave her alone Apollo.” It’s someone else.

          “When did you get here?” my brother asks.

          “Soon enough to hear what you’ve done.”

          “Who are you?” I ask.

          “Hermes. Where is the dead man?”

          “Sleeping there,” I say. “The girl brought him to water and it healed him.”

          “She’s right,” says Apollo.

          “Why hasn’t Apollo killed him?” Hermes asks me.

          “Because I promised to spend my days with him, in exchange for his help. We’re all going to the underword.”

          The others are stirred awake by our voices. The girl who said her name is Myrrine slowly stands to face us.

Rubbing her eyes she says, “One day Orion started claiming to be someone I knew that died. A monster killed him and stole his body. I tracked it here and Orion killed it. He said there wasn’t a dead man anywhere. I gave up and stayed to recover my strength. The next day was when it happened.”

          “I thought the only monster on Crete was a Minotaur,” says Hermes. “And that thing died years ago in a labyrinth.”

          “A god must be involved,” says Apollo. “This could actually be of interest to us. Ares, Orion, get up! We need to head out now that we have Hermes to guide us.”

          “Right, I will join the quest,” says Hermes. “Follow me everyone.”



© 2022 Sheik


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
1 Review
Added on May 5, 2013
Last Updated on November 1, 2022
Tags: moon, stars, artemis, apollo, hermes, ares, greek, mythology


Author

Sheik
Sheik

TX



About
I write lyrics, fiction, and fanfiction. I use dark and romantic themes. more..

Writing
Chapter I: Betrayal Chapter I: Betrayal

A Chapter by Sheik