Beauty, standards and societies

Beauty, standards and societies

A Story by Arthur Aadams
"

Philosphical speculations on the normality of beautystandards

"

Beauty, Standards and Societies

Summary:
What our society perceives as normal = x, as beautiful = x+1 and as ugly = x-1. x is not x+1. Beauty will always be in function, in projection of normality. The beautiful will always be more, and prevail over the normal, in all societies and choices we make. This fact is in everything, in all nature, in evolution and we can’t do anything about it, which is bad because the aesthetic normality and ugly are repressed by aesthetic beauty. This is not always justified. Being ugly shouldn’t mean you’re worth less as a being. Continue reading for more in-depth explanation! 

-Definition of beauty (standard) according to Wikipedia-
A ‘’beauty“ is an entity which is admired, or possesses features widely attributed to beauty in a particular culture, for perfection.

There is alot of commotion concerning the beauty standards that are present in our society. Both men and women are affected by the standardization of what is / should be beautiful but then again, everything is.


Aslong as the concept beauty exists there will be a standardization of what beautiful should look like, not as in a specific picture, but as in an idea. Removing the beauty standard would mean there would be no ugly and no beautiful, as there can’t be ugly without something to project or compare it to.

Optimist feminists claim that everyone would be beautiful if the standard were to be removed. They are wrong, everyone would be equally ugly and beautiful since the standard would not exist, there is nothing to project yourself upon. It’s obvious that there always will be a standard of what beauty should be as the concept beauty can’t just stop existing.

 People who want to move the beauty standard to ‘’the realistic man / woman’’ are missing the point of beauty, it’s a beauty standard, not a normality standard or ‘’realistic’’ standard. The point people want to realise by moving the beauty standard is noble, men and women would be able to be more self-secure and normal, realistic people would be accepted better in our cruel society.

A fact that needs to be explained is that if you’re ‘’beautiful’’ ( good looking…), you will always precede over the normal and the ugly and everything in between, the more beautiful you are, the more you precede. This is a fact that applies to everything. If you can choose between a good looking apple or an ugly apple without knowing how either would taste you would choose the good looking one in the prejudice that it would taste better. This prejudice applies not only to humans but also to animals, who also have evolutionary arguments to pick a ‘’beautiful’’ (with a standardization of good genes) partner. I think the reason of: ‘’i have to mate with the most optimal partner’’ is still subcontiously present with humans.

Beauty standards are not only present in our society but also in other (animal) societies, peacocks for example, the male with the most beautiful feathers will be picked fastest by female peacocks looking for a partner, again, the beautiful precede, and this is normal.

Our society is the most complex and big on this earth, that’s why the preceding of the beautiful is way more complex, big and unfair compared to animal societies. But it’s still normal.There is no use fighting for a change on how humans perceive beautiful. How we perceive beautiful is determined by time and space, this grows naturally and is to be accepted.

To end this i want to add that non- shallow (intellectual) humans have more interest in intellectual beauty: the contents of something or someone. All you intellectual realistic looking singles will eventually find an equal who appreciates your beauty (intellectual / visual / …) enough to start a relationship!

I don’t claim to be all-knowing about our world, I’m only 18, therefore I accept any mature, argumented debate through private messages in order to try and change my mind!

-Arthur Aadams

© 2015 Arthur Aadams


Author's Note

Arthur Aadams
Criticism is in its best form when it's constructive

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

285 Views
Added on July 12, 2015
Last Updated on July 12, 2015
Tags: #philosphy, #beauty, #standards, #beautystandards, #feminism

Author

Arthur Aadams
Arthur Aadams

Bruges, Belgium



About
worldview: agnostic, nihilistic, buddhistic. interests: drama, love, tragedy, philosphy. hobbies: guitar, singing, drawing, writing (poems, songtexts, philosphical columns, short stories) Eng.. more..

Writing