The boy with flags

The boy with flags

A Screenplay by Avanthika
"

Just a short screenplay written to highlight the peoples attitude towards nation. The climax is the three questions that a boy asks a man. In three simple sentences he conveys his message.

"

People had die for this land to get back. After years of sufferings, battles, pain and agony we had gained this land, the land of Mother India. The ones who had once sacrificed for this land have gone to the advanced stage of selfish, egotistic, greedy people.

The three lines said by this young boy would make everyone nod their head over his opinion.


Sitting on the side seat of the bus I was watching the scenery outside. In a minute the traffic light turned to red and in a second I could see a pile of vehicles lining up on the road. It was at this moment a small boy came holding the little flags of India. Seeing the heavy traffic, he was delighted, perhaps he would have thought he can make use of the time to sell his flags. To his awe, even after approaching 40 plus vehicles over there not a single flag got sold. It was then his eyes fell on the new Volkswagen Vento blue colour car, new because it had that shining that every car has on its first day of drive. With high hopes and a sigh of relief he went near to it . But the man inside wearing his black sunspecs didn't bothered to open the window of the car. But the boy was adamant. He kept on knocking on his glasses and the man finally had to open. Before the man could say anything, the boys query made the man buy all the flags. Though a marketing technique but what the boy said would ring bells in our ears too.


The three questions that he asked him,


Sir you can spend lakhs to buy this car but not a rupee to buy India’s flag.  You buy cars add more profits to the millionaires but can’t you spend any rupee to make the life of a poor? You adore international brands and ignore your own country fellows, Is that how you take pride in being an Indian?


Before the boy could speak anything more the man bought all the flags as he was embarrassed totally by now. The smile seen in the boys face made the man smile too. Co incidentally the green light appeared as if it was the gods green signal agreeing with the boy’s vision. 

© 2014 Avanthika


Author's Note

Avanthika
Thought of writing like it really happened in front of my eyes, just tried to convey the message through simple sentences. How far do you think it worked?

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very well written. It reminds me definitely of Kipling or Orwell (because of his essay on shooting the elephant). I can tell that your English has room for improvement but you made this very easy to read and it is clear that you put forth a good deal of time with it, so I applaud you for that.
I really enjoyed this; well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

thank you so much Mila, you inspired me to read Kiplings works. :)



Reviews

"Sir you can pay lakhs of money to buy this car but not just a rupee to buy India’s flag? You buy cars and give profits to the millionairs but can’t you spend any rupee to make the life of a poor? "
We are moving too fast. Old world had forgot the simple things. The flag of India is part of the core of the people. The story is amazing. There are lessons in the words. The above lines are true. People buy un-needed things and forget what is truly needed. Thank you for sharing the powerful story.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

i really take pride of the country i belong to , more than writers we have warriors who can give up .. read more
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

I'm glad I met you. Please send read request.
Avanthika

9 Years Ago

my pleasure:)
I liked this, I thought it had an important message in it. We all support international companies, whether we intend to or not, pouring money into gold laced pockets. We need to work on our own economies.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

thank you ashira, thank you so much
Remarkable work Avanthika...... I really admire this.. Its true that these 3 questions really ring a bell, we really need to give it a thought...... Keep writing..:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

thanks a lot naina
Naina

9 Years Ago

.............:))
I love the idea of this piece, and it pretty much the way I feel when it comes to big-box organization, tyrannical monopolizer, opposed to the meek trying to make a living; I don't pretend to know the woes of India, but I do agree with the message you are portraying. The main issue in this piece is its clustered you need to separate your thoughts and sentence, make them concise.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

thanks a lot Jack
i liked the story...it truly states how we look at certain things...for a moment i thought i have read something of similar kind..but its beautifully written.. thanks for sharing Avanthika :)

Raj

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

thanks Raj, i just happnd to imagine a situation like this sitting while i was sitting in the bus
Ok first off I am terrible at prose I am a learner myself so I am put in this terrible position of having to comment on something that I don't have a clue. Blind helping the blind I guess. I will message the errors that I see so I don't take up space here. As for the way the wrting sounds I enjoed it for what came out to me. But as you are asking me this is how I envision :
- Try to separte clearly what is universal and what belongs to the folk spirit of your country in this case India.
- Try to bring about in one or two sentences colloquial thoughts that which only happens there where you are
- I would avoid preaching or trying to show the emotions of the writer let the reader make up his mind. Questions. Not statements.

Break the paragraphs so each line contains its own mini - melody.

Just me though.

The concept behind of dignity and meaning so no problmes there .

Thankyou for your invite

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

thanks a lot friend, keeping in mind to your suggestion i hope to make necessary changes on my work .. read more
Rene Salinas

9 Years Ago

Oh please don't I shared for you only to observe not to make my mistakes!
lovely write....we all hold the responsibility to fulfill our responsibility as a citizen of such a beautiful nation...towards our people....prosperity does not come from billionaires in a country but from billion smiles in a country.... :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avanthika

9 Years Ago

Thank you Anne , well said about prosperity

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

1955 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 14, 2014
Last Updated on October 11, 2014
Tags: nation, flag, sacrifice, independence, attitude

Author

Avanthika
Avanthika

Canada



About
I'm a 19 year old classics student (study of Ancient Greece & Rome + Latin & Ancient Greek), and I like to read and write in my spare time. more..

Writing
chapter-2 chapter-2

A Chapter by Avanthika


chapter-3 chapter-3

A Chapter by Avanthika



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..