The Queen of The Dead Horse & Co.

The Queen of The Dead Horse & Co.

A Story by Vesa Lee

I went to the Land of Woe...I walked its path...I had to know.

 

A tiny girl wearing a crumpled paper crown, sits humming upon a dead purple horse by the road side.

Her chubby hands cup her solemn down-cast face and she does not look up as she sighs to her court...

"Know something about kites and flying...

...Before you breathe your last..."

 

 

A young man lies face down on the ground, limp and tossed aside like a broken toy.

One finger moves gracefully; tracing in the sandy path these words...over and over and over...

"She stopped my heart with a look...

...Then left me here to die..."

 

 

An ebony tinted woman wrapped in satin ribbons, savagely hugs a rusted swing nailed to a stump.

Her eyes shut tight, her arms bruised from squeezing; she chants feelingly to the moon...

"I give and I give but it's never enough...

...This love reminds me of echos..."

 

 

An old bearded father stands a top a dead branch stretching overhead, reading aloud a love letter from his son.

Finshing, he folds the letter into a hat and places it on his head, mumbling disapprovingly...

"Silver words splattered across the dingy page...

...What hypocrisy..."

 

 

A freckled girl kneels in a patch of copper tulips, painting a mirror black with her hair.

Chewing on rubber kisses and holding the blinded mirror before her face, she whispers low...

"Seedlings come and die and sting...

...And meaningless angels take credit..."

 

 

A man with bleach-blond hair stands beneath a wooden bridge, a match in hand, three aces pinned to his boot.

Covering his face with thick round goggles, ink drips from his mustache as the match is lit...

" London bridges fell too far...

...Today I will regret..."

 


 

I have been to the Land of Woe...

I know its way...

Don't ever go...

 

 

© 2011 Vesa Lee


Author's Note

Vesa Lee
A few strange pictures I had in my head that I attempted to string together.
I hope to add more "Wonderland-ish" images soon.
Critique welcome even if just to say "This is garbage".

If anyone would like to know what these represent, just send me a message and I'll try to explain.
But personally, I think it's more fun if you fill in the blanks yourself. *smile*
Thanks for any thoughts, critiques and comments.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beautiful, the way it speaks to the reader! many words yet nothing really concrete attaching each part, challenging to the mind, perfect! Maybe I'm just blinded by the greatness I read, but I don't think anyone would even dare to say "this is garbage" as you said in the note. "Wonderland-ish" I will look forward to read the next ones to come, and maybe I shall read "I have been to the land of Woe.."? If time permits me, I'll be back to review more during the day. Outstanging job.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

It's always more fun to find yourself in awe of the magic I think, rather than to see where the deck was marked etc. It does seem a bit wonderland-ish in nature, but your imagery is very elaborate and I like the overall flow of the piece. Plenty of characters you give life here that could be expanded on maybe in other pieces even. Nice work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear Vesa,

This is a wonderful and very evocative piece. With simple words you paint such marvelous images. Powerful words that were greatly enjoyed.

This gets a 98/100 rating from me, the highest I have given. A rating of 100% is impossible in my book because no poem is perfect, and I am still waiting all these many years for a 99/100 poem. So yours is in a hand few of the best poems I have read on WC. My deepest congratulations on a very fine write.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is absolutely stunning! I literally can't describe it. It is so different and unique and mysterious and beautiful! Wonderful write, really. (And I really hope that nobody would read this and say "This is garbage." because that would be an absolute lie...)

Keep on writing :D
-Katie Marie

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I loved this, I just loved this. I loved how it kept the same format, and how it all held an eerie beautifulness to it. It was just all very good.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It sounded a little scary but it was VERY productive, and also captivating, it brings the reader in all the way though the story.
Very good write :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


My apologies for waiting this long to get to you...haven't had time much to read...

ANYWAY.

It's quite dreamlike and reminds me of dreams I had...where nothing makes any sense, yet everything makes lots of sense.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love it, something very Angela Carter about it. The sequence worked, by the time I got to the third image it felt natural. Refreshing idea and the execution was immaculate. My favourite story -

'An ebony tinted woman wrapped in satin'

True, the unique approach and imagery makes this amazing, but when you break down the actual content and writing, it's just as good.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You make me proud, sis. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow... this is one of the best poems i've ever read, no exageration...
I love stuff like this !!!!
It just is.. amazing !!!
Appeals to all senses :)
love love love love it !!!
Its going straight into my library !


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

another very lovely poem. i can't figure out what the poem means, and this lack of knowing may get some people's confused or disapproving thoughts, but the words you use create universes and images. really, they do! you write beautifully. keep it up!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1502 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on July 15, 2009
Last Updated on August 15, 2011
Previous Versions

Author

Vesa Lee
Vesa Lee

About
I am a person. I am enthralled with reading/writing poetry and stories, as well as collecting quotes. I am captivated by beauty. I study it any chance I get. I want desperately to be loved by my S.. more..

Writing
armour-clad armour-clad

A Poem by Vesa Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Undone Undone

A Poem by TamiViolet