Problems With West Fargo High School

Problems With West Fargo High School

A Story by Noah Wayverlynn

West Fargo High School is an okay school. Don't get me wrong. However, like many other high schools, it has its flaws. Now most of these flaws I'm going to mention are related to accessibility for the visually impaired. As a visually impaired person who attended West Fargo High School, I've discovered a few flaws. The first flaw I am going to explain is that the restroom signs at the school do not have any contrast. What I mean by this is that the signs blend in with the wall color. Honestly, I had a few embarrassing moments there because of the signs being too hard to read. West Fargo High needs to make their restroom signs stand out more so that people who are visually impaired can see the signs. The next flaw is more about their steps. The stairs have no contrast what so ever. Their stairs are only one color, and they need to give them more contrast. My suggestion is give the steps a little contrast by having a little bit of yellow at the edge of the steps. The bright yellow would help those people who have some sight left see where they need to step down or even up. For me, I always took the elevator because I was too nervous about taking the steps. The only time I would take the steps was either for a safety drill (tornado and fire drill) or if I was in a hurry and didn't have time to wait for the elevator. Okay, here I go with the signs again for the third flaw. The signs that say the room number are absolutely terrible! They have the room numbers all the way in the corner of the doorway, and they don't have any on the side of the doorway. Almost all of the rooms don't have any braille or large print signs. I mean what if someone who's completely blind attended that school, and had to get around? There's no braille to help them. What if someone who's visually impaired like me attended that school, and had trouble reading the room numbers? Honestly, I had some bad experiences with this flaw. Sometimes I would accidentally walk into the wrong room because I didn't know what room it was. I would also have to stand really far away so I can attempt to read the sign. The only way I would know if I was in the right room was if a teacher I recognize acknowledges me. Again, my real name is Arizona so they would acknowledge me by saying "Good morning Arizona." Those are the flaws I have to mention. I believe that if those flaws didn't exist, I would've had a better high school experience. West Fargo High school has a lot of potential, but it really needs to work on enhancing accessibility feature for people who are blind or visually impaired. 

© 2018 Noah Wayverlynn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on March 15, 2018
Last Updated on March 16, 2018

Author

Noah Wayverlynn
Noah Wayverlynn

West Fargo, ND



About
Yo! It's Noah here! I love to write stories, poetry, songs, and more! I am gender fluid and visually impaired. hope you enjoy the writing! more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5