Beautiful Moment

Beautiful Moment

A Story by Bhumika Devkota

I was afraid. I was afraid to go to a new school all over again. I was afraid I would be friendless. I wanted to stay where I was. I had finally got into a group of friends, found a close friend, and was doing good in school. However, I knew that moving was important for my family, to me. And that I had no control over it. I loved the place I used to live in. The pretty cherry-blossom trees right in front of our apartment or the perfect weather. Hearing the birds every morning, the pool that my sister and I pretty much went to every single weekend.


I didn’t want to lose contact with my friends, though I knew that we would be having awkward conversations. I would miss being in band with my friends and the big public library and the parks. I knew that the place we were going to wouldn’t have any cherry-blossom trees or a perfect weather. I also knew that the school would be tougher. However, I was able to take art and so many other things, that I couldn't in the school I was originally going to go to.


Now, after almost two years, I wouldn’t want to move back. I met my best friends in the first full week of school. I found one of my closest best friend who pushed me into doing harder in things I gave up on or didn’t try my hardest in. The pretty cherry-blossom trees were replaced with looking at the white sky where the birds were flying together as if they were dancing while I walked home.


The perfect weather was gone and now I had to get used to the freezing weather of winter while walking to school sometimes in the morning at seven-thirty. There were birds here, though at night time, it was replaced by frogs and loud people talking while I was trying to fall asleep. As much as it was annoying at first, I soon got used to it, and actually looked forward to it. I only went to the pool once, and there was something wrong with the water and it was too crowed. The school was harder, or atleast I think it was since I never went to the other school.


One thing I miss the most was my friends. The ones who changed and looking at our messages to each other, how it always ended in “yeah” or something, I decided to stop. The one thing I didn’t notice, or at least didn’t want to accept was that our friendships was over when I walked out of the door and knew I would never see her again. It was better for both of us or at least me.  


For one year after I moved, I still wanted to talk to her, but I woke up one morning a year later and just didn’t care. I, for some reason, woke up a random day and realize that I didn’t care. That we went our separate way and changed, in both good and bad ways. Plus I had my sister and friends here who never made my life dull and family who care so much about me.


There were a lot of nights I cried myself to sleep with no reason. There were a lot of time I wish I wasn’t so obsessed with getting good grades and that I could just not care and slack off and get rid of all the pressure. I wish I could go back in the past and redo my mistakes like in my tests with my careless mistakes. I wish I could be good at stuff as the people around me. I wish to do something, just even a little thing, where people would recognize me. I wish I could learn to accept change.



This is my beautiful moment in life. It isn’t a single day or second moment and it isn’t always happy, it is until an another big change occurs. It is learning to accept that things are in the past, finding friends, learning to adapt in a new environment. I don’t think anything is more fun than talking to yourself, taking a walk, just staring at a sunset, and doing what you love or just coming out of the same class every single day and knowing you survived it. My beautiful moment in life will continue until the day I die. And as I wait for that day to arrive in the mysterious future, I will learn to accept, move on, learn new stuff, and be myself.                           

© 2015 Bhumika Devkota


Author's Note

Bhumika Devkota
Something about me, for a contest. A beautiful moment in my life.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Change is always difficult. I always find myself reminiscing about the past and wishing I could relive a lot of what I never truly appreciated until that era of my life was over. I still miss my childhood friends and all the adventures we had growing up. When we dwell on the past, we don't live in the present. Even though life throws obstacles at us - whether it be a new environment, new friends, or just generally a new routine, this doesn't necessarily make things "bad". I am so happy that you've become self aware enough to realize that uncertainty can also be beautiful. That being said, I really loved this piece. It was not only relatable, but also beautifully written. Even though you initially dreaded the transition to a new school, you soon learned that it wasn't as awful as you expected it to be. By going with the tides as they come and learning to adapt to change with grace, you are bettering yourself as an individual. May the future treat you kindly. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Bhumika Devkota

8 Years Ago

Thank you your thoughtful comment.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

401 Views
1 Review
Added on June 16, 2015
Last Updated on June 16, 2015

Author

Bhumika Devkota
Bhumika Devkota

Albany, NY



About
Hi! I am Bhumika Devkota. I am the youngest from my extended family, which makes me a little - I suppose a lot- spoiled at times. I live with my parents and my older sister, who is currently a senior,.. more..

Writing