Ms. Johnson

Ms. Johnson

A Story by W. B. G. Schreiber

Scenario- Russell, a student in Ms. Johnson’s sophomore biology class has been accused by Ms. Johnson of cheating on a test. While Russell was taking his test on DNA synthesis Ms. Johnson marched over and ripped up the dismayed Russell’s test. She scolded him and told him to see her after class. Russell was not cheating at all, but is known for being an aloof student. Russell feels he was unfairly targeted and that the only reason Ms. Johnson is even accusing him is that the class snitch Gabriel told Ms. Johnson that Russell had been cheating. It is now after class and Russell has remained seated waiting. The whole class has left and Ms. Johnson has just closed the door.

            “Well Mr. Evans, what do you have to say for your actions?” Ms. Johnson calmly questioned as she turned on Russell.

            “Ms Johnson I didn’t do any thing I was just…”

            “Enough of your excuses.” Ms. Johnson interrupted.

            “But…”

            “No.”

            “But…”

            “No buts, I am going to send you to Dean Lucifer, end of story. Then he will call your parents and you will be severely disciplined.” Ms. Johnson interjected testily.

            “Not my parents!” Russell fretted. “I didn’t do any thing.”

            “Yes, you did. Gabriel saw you. Dear sweet Gabriel, always such an exemplary student. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t have caught half of you awful little cheaters in this class. There are so many of you, its just such a shame. Parents just don’t know how to raise children any more.” Ms. Johnson angrily stated.

            “Gabriel? He told you I was cheating! He’s a liar and a suck up!” Russell shouted.

            “How dare you Russell! You are already in enough trouble as is. We need not have any more outbursts like that.”

            Russell began to shake. He could feel his face turn red and his whole body heat up. He felt as if he had been lit on fire. His muscles tensed and flexed as adrenaline poured into his system. “You’re wrong! He’s a liar I’ve never cheated in all my life!” Russell frantically screamed. Tears began to fill his eyes.

            “I am not WRONG, I am the teacher, and I am the one who is always right.” Ms. Johnson arrogantly stated.

            “You’re no teacher you’re a hack! That’s why you’re in your fifties and still MS. Johnson.” Russell cried.

            “You little wretch. If I was your parent you would be very sorry.”

            “You could never be my parent MSSSSS. Johnson!” Russell snapped back harshly.

            “Brat!” Ms. Johnson yelled as she slapped Russell across his face. Russell just starred at the horrible creature he knew was his teacher, as tears welled up in his eyes. Ms. Johnson stood shaking, focused on the hand that she had just beat her student with. “Oh my god, what have I done.” Ms. Johnson fell to her knees crying. “What happened, what did I just do, what is going on I’m so……. oh my god.” Ms. Johnson rambled incoherently as she kneeled fixating still on her hand.

            “Russell, I’m, I’m, I’m so sorry. I don’t know what happened.” Ms. Johnson shuddered.

            “Ms. Johnson?”

            “Russell, I’m sorry, forgive me. You didn’t actually cheat did you?”

            “No Ms. Johnson, I didn’t. I tried to tell you that.”

            “I’m sorry, you can retake the test. And I’ll talk to Gabriel and the other students he accused. I feel I have made many mistakes this year. More than I could have ever realized. Russell, I’m sorry you can go now.”

            “Ms. Johnson?”

            “What Russell?”

            “Are you going to be okay?”

            “I don’t know Russell. Just leave me and let me think.” Ms. Johnson mumbled solemnly.

            “Ok. Bye Ms. Johnson.” Russell got up out of his seat and walked over to the door. “Ms. Johnson.”

            “Yes Russell?”

            “I won’t tell anybody what happened. It’s not your fault. We all fall apart some time in our lives.”

            “Thank you Russell.” Ms. Johnson said before bursting into a new set of tears.

            Russell left the room and his crying teacher. Russell never did tell anyone. The next day Ms. Johnson questioned the other students she had accused of cheating and Gabriel. She found out none of them had cheated. It was Gabriel who had been the one who cheated. Knowing that his tests would be the same as the students he cheated off of, Gabriel had blamed them for cheating off of him to protect himself. Gabriel was suspended. For the rest of the year Russell and Ms. Johnson had an uneasy relationship. Both remembered what had happened and felt guilty. Both Russell and Ms, Johnson lived the rest of their lives haunted by what had happened.

 

© 2008 W. B. G. Schreiber


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hmm, what a very strange piece, but it does hold a grain of truth and morality. Thank you for entering my contest, and keep up the good and interesting work!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 31, 2008

Author

W. B. G. Schreiber
W. B. G. Schreiber

IL



About
I am curreently working on two big projects and am looking for ideas for some small ones. One of my projects is a collection of short stories that I call "Interval Impossible". The stories are mostly .. more..

Writing