The Touch of Fear

The Touch of Fear

A Story by BJ Nottingham
"

Jay Barker, was always one for the paranormal, and when rumors erupted about old man Hampton's house she knew she had to check it out for herself. --Will curiosity get the better of Jade?

"
The stairs whined with each step that Jay Barker made as she filled the distance between herself and the old Victorian door. It was encrusted with rose stems; Engraved angels held a kind of uncertainty, as their heads hung low. A chorus of whispers erupted from the ajar door as she studied the broad  design. Jay placed her hand on the door and gave a firm push. The only sound to be heard was her own foot steps as she walked through the entrance. Ancient artifacts, sculptures, and ghastly stuffed animals hung high on the towering walls. Their eyes seemed to follow Jay as she stalked through the corridor. A cold rush swept through her body, nervously she ran her hand through her raven hair. Jay was always one for the paranormal, and when rumors erupted about old man Hampton's house she knew she had to check it out for herself. Peter Hampton lived in the last house at the end of the abandoned street. He was a tough old man. He was short, but muscular, with long grey hair and a long beard to match. He had scars on his face and only one eye, as he had lost the other one when he was in a car accident that occurred when he was younger. Peter was the kind of man that always had a shotgun in his hand, he never had any friends and that was the way he liked it. They say the devil drove him crazy, until he finally took his own life. Jay took a ragged breath as she adjusted her backpack on her shoulder, if there was something here, she was going to find out. She slowly moved forward, noticing a dim light coming from the living area. She cautiously peaked around the corner and noticed embers burning in the fireplace. The room was empty, everything covered in plastic and dust. "Is someone here?" Jay yelled, hoping she was alone. Suddenly, the old Victorian door slammed shut, causing Jay to scream aloud at the abruptness. Throwing her backpack down she ran back to the entrance and tried to force the door open once again. It wouldn't budge. She quickly ran into the living room to find a window, without luck. All the windows were boarded up. As fast as one's legs could take them, she ran up stairs. Slamming open doors without a care, only hoping for a way out. Once again her attempts of escape were hopeless. "Help!" A strong voice echoed through out the halls. Maybe she wasn't alone, maybe someone was stuck in this house as well. "Hold on, I'm coming!” She screamed. "Help!" The voice shouted once again. Jay helplessly ran through every room only to find nothing, "Where are you?!" Panic began to set in. "Help!" the voice sounded closer, too close. She slowly turned around, there it was. A body, almost unidentifiable, walking towards her. "Mr. Hampton?" She whispered. "Help?" he was coming closer and closer. Jay didn't know how to get out of this mess. She was terrified, her body seemed to freeze from fear. "Help?" his voice was almost inaudible. He slowly raised his hand and pointed behind her. Horrified, she slowly turned, though nothing was there. Jay could feel his presence behind her, his breath was hot against her neck. "Run,” the voice rang in her ear. She took off without warning, fear rushing through her veins as she persistently searched for a way out. All the windows boarded, both entrances inaccessible. She was stuck, in this house of horrors.
Jay hurried back down the stairs, she grabbed her backpack hoping to find her cell phone, or something that would help her escape. Books, pencils, erasers, but nothing useful. She threw her bag down and burst into tears. She’d always heard of people witnessing things like this and it always interested her, but now that she was actually here she felt powerless. This isn't where she wanted to be. Jay started to gather her things then the sound of breaking glass stopped her, she looked up and saw a woman in the corner. "H..hello?" Jay placed her backpack in front of her, the woman turned and smiled. Her face was ghastly, and mangled. Her smile faded and turned serious. "Run,” is all she said before she faded into nothing. Jay sat there staring into darkness, her brain screaming for her to run. She was petrified. Her head was spinning from all this, trying to tell herself it isn't real. Her mind was only playing tricks on her, or maybe it was Anthony Adams. The neighborhood prankster, he was always trying to play tricks on Jay, swearing one day he would really get her. Yeah, that's what it was. This place isn't haunted, it’s just one of Anthony's cruel pranks "Okay, the joke is up Antony!" Jay yelled, throwing her hands up. "This isn't funny anymore, you got me!" a slight laugh escaped her lips. Nothing, not a sound throughout the house. She looked at the old Grandfather Clock, as it struck one. A ringing phone filled Jay with an enormous amount of joy, she looked around and saw an old rotary dial phone buried under plastic. "Finally!" Jay hollered out in happiness, "Hello, please help me! I'm stuck in a house and I can't find my way out, please help!" Tears streamed down Jay's face. The other end was silent, "Hello? Can you hear me? I need help!" Jay pleaded with the person on the other line, "Run,” was all that was said then the phone went dead. "No!!" Jay screamed in frustration. She tried dialing her parents number but the line was completely dead, "NO, NO, NO, WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME? I HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING TO YOU, WHY ARE YOU PUNISHING ME?!" She was now letting out uncontrollable sobs. She felt as if she should run, but in the end, she knew it wouldn't matter.
It has been three days since Jay Barker was last seen. The cops suspect foul play was involved and is now investigating the disappearance. They searched everywhere, except the last house at the end of the abandoned street. The house was peaceful now, the door standing ajar. People no longer feared to walk past there, the presence of evil was abandoned. Little do people know the house is now guarded by an angel. An angel with raven hair and a halo of gold.

© 2018 BJ Nottingham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on January 18, 2018
Last Updated on January 18, 2018
Tags: paranormal, demons, devil, ghost, Haunted House

Author

BJ Nottingham
BJ Nottingham

WV



About
BJ-Nottingham is a twenty-four year-old who was born and raised in Fayette County, West Virginia. She has been writing poetry and personal stories since her early childhood days; She enjoys the freedo.. more..

Writing